Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old October 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Ravven Demonwing has disabled reputation
Phew, the ol' F. I got one of those in Algebra, and my parents took it very well. I came to them, and told them immediatley, so they new that I wasn't trying to cover it up.
I then told them that I will work on getting make-up work and extra credit. I never let them get a word in edge-wise, and they were proud of my responsibility. I was so happy, and within a week, I brought the grade up to a B.

Ravven Demonwing Manages the Training room in...
The Menagerie
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM

StealthSuitStanley has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat
As a father, I offer this advice:

Don't try to cover it up.
BrownCoat is correct when he says this. He is also correct when he gives the example of his son and daughter. It sounds like your dad has high standards for you because you can meet them. Don't expect lower standards for yourself when you can meet higher standards.

And don't blame your problems on other people. I find it hard to believe that all of this could be the fault of the teacher. If the other students in the class have this problem, then maybe, but teachers this stupid don't usually last very long.

Another thing...Have your dad read this thread! What better way to improve your standing than by proving that you are trying! Even to the point of asking a bunch of gamers for help in history (of all things!)!

Good luck and work real hard. Good grades will carry you a long way in life. If only more students could understand that!

later
SSS

01 out of 10 people don't understand binary.
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Thank you all! Today (Monday) I told my mom what happened....(still not my dad though.) She thought I was joking until I showed her the paper. I think that if my dad DOES find out, I will show him this thread...great idea
StealthSuit

I asked my history teacher for any extra credit...and she said "No, we're moving on from that now." Literally. Word-for-word. In my opinion....she IS satan. (That was not a metaphor either.)

She is failing a normally honor roll student, won't accept late homework, won't give out any extra credit, will NOT attempt to acknowledge my need of help, AND SHE TELLS ME THAT WE'RE MOVING ON?!?!?!?

I'm sorry, normally I don't get steamed up like that, but this is the worst thing that has happpened to me for a VERY long time.

But yes, I do mean thank-you when I say it...you have helped me get through this so far, and I hope you guys continue...

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM

brickman1444 has disabled reputation
I don't know if this will help but maybe you should try some drastic measures. These sometimes help me concentrate more. These also might overload your brain. Only use these if your teacher totally approves. Some examples are:

Get relaxed, sticks your legs into the aisle and use a book for a head pillow. Warning don't fall asleep.

Reading upside down, this makes you really concentrate on what you are reading

Write notes in 2 notebooks at the same time.

Pick a song before class and during class replace the normal lyrics with facts from the lesson. Warning this may cause laughing and class disruption.

And the most drastic (Make sure your teacher is completely okay with this one):

Turn your desk completely backwards and try to write notes on only the things she says. Try to make sure you write down everything she says twice.

6 x 9 = 42

Old October 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM

heroscaper314 is surprisingly tart
Freshman year is so far quite a wakeup call for me as well...I'm not getting any F's but I'm also not getting the straight A's I am accustomed to.
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Meesa sooo smilen to see'en yousa

Menchy is surprisingly tart
"All you can do is do all your homework and hope for the best"

That is absolutely the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. If you are failing and have tried to seek help, the teacher should be doing everything in their power to help you do better. If that is what she really said to you, then you need to have a discussion with your guidance councelor or principal.

I am experiencing freshman year in a school district which puts more pressure on you that you could possibly imagine. I have always had good grades, though not nearly to my potential, as I really don't get motivated to do my homework until school the day it's due. I always get mostly A's, but once on an interum I saw that I had a C, and my parents made me go in for extra help repeatedly until they were sure I was doing better. If your teacher is resistant, another thing to do is just repeatedly bug her until she helps you.

"Somewhere over the rainbow, there's another rainbow." ~Tobias Funke, Arrested Development
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
What you should do is attempt to find out EXACTLY why you're failing... Are you not doing well on tests? Forgetting homework? The spitting image of the teacher's ex-husband? Knowing what the problem is in important in trying to figure out how to solve it.

And, notes are your friend; you don't even have to look at them after you write them down. Even mindless copying can make you learn.

What really helps me is to make a comic out of the historical events learned in class. If it's funny and engaging you're more likely to remember it!

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Wetherfork has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBeaner
Thank you all! Today (Monday) I told my mom what happened....(still not my dad though.) She thought I was joking until I showed her the paper. I think that if my dad DOES find out, I will show him this thread...great idea
StealthSuit

I asked my history teacher for any extra credit...and she said "No, we're moving on from that now." Literally. Word-for-word. In my opinion....she IS satan. (That was not a metaphor either.)

She is failing a normally honor roll student, won't accept late homework, won't give out any extra credit, will NOT attempt to acknowledge my need of help, AND SHE TELLS ME THAT WE'RE MOVING ON?!?!?!?

I'm sorry, normally I don't get steamed up like that, but this is the worst thing that has happpened to me for a VERY long time.

But yes, I do mean thank-you when I say it...you have helped me get through this so far, and I hope you guys continue...
my 2 cents:
bring your parents in to talk with the teacher... a parents presence can change the world. I've had a couple teachers like that, my only thing to say is, make certain that you haven't missed too many assignments or anything, then bring in your parents. If your telling the truth about your background, then the teacher hearing your parents say that its not normal might change their mind about how they are grading you. From my own experience i can say that sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to realize that your not alone in it. As for doing better or remembering, i would arrive at school 2 and a half hours before every day and go over my notes to remind myself of what we had done. This helped remind me of homework i had forgotten to do and gave me enough time to do it. Though i walked to school, since it was down the street from me. Try reviewing on bus?
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
As a dad, my advice to you is to bring your parents into the situation immediately. If you've been honest about your history (and being in AP classes is a good indication that you have been) your parents need to go to bat for you.

Some things parents can do that you as a student cannot:
1) Get a teacher to become much more cooperative.
2) Get real answers from the teacher.
3) Go over the teacher's head.
4) Pull you from the class.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:36 AM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBeaner
StealthSuit

I can't stress this enough. Go to your guidance consoler!

I can't help but feel I misspelled both those last two words. Oh well, I wasn't an honor roll student. I do know from experiance though that he/she can help you if they're earning their pay check.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:22 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Sorry for this large bump, but there is an update that I would like to share with you.

I still have the F, even though I got a few A's on my most recent things, and F is going to be my final grade, no matter what.

The teacher actually will not answer my questions whenever I ask them. She just gives a look like she is thinking about it, but then answers someone elses question. (she does this even when I ask her after class).

At the beginning of the year, she placed my seat in the middle of the room next to some kids that I mess around with. I knew from the start that this was not good, due to my poor eyesite (I have a perscription for glasses) and my probable ADD. Over the course of the term I have asked her to move my seat to the front once a week, every week. She kept putting it off, saying "next Thursday...", but she never moved our seats. Today ( the start of a new term), she finally moved our seats.

It turns out that she thought it was a good idea to put the failing student in the very BACK of the room next to kids who she has seen fool around. During the class, I repeatedly asked her why this happened, and even brought up this entire argument, but she STILL didn't answer me in the correct manner. Now she says "Okay, the next time we move seats will be the beginning of next term."

I have one thing to say to this.

Wtf.

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
If what you are saying is true, then I see a lay-off in her very near future.

Someone I know was taking Calculus, her entire class scored far below the other calc teachers at this college. The teacher was canned after that.

Have you talked to other students in your class? Do they have the same problems with her?

Just schedule a meeting with her, with you and your parents present. If that doesn't work, take it to her superiors.

If a teacher does not answer her pupil's questions she is not doing her job. Can you give some examples of the questions that she refuses to answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General