Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 31st, 2017, 09:04 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Played Anachrony with 3 players over the weekend. Everyone was gushing about it afterward and trying to set up when we can play again. Really cool time travel mechanic where you borrow from yourself in the future, but create possible anomalies that you need to fix from the future or suffer the consequences. The main focus of the game is preparing for an extinction event and to evacuate your people from the planet. Worker placement at its core, but the theme is what sets it apart. Made by the same company that created Trickerion, another really good worker placement game.

We have been playing Dead of Winter quite a bit over the last few weeks, probably because Raxxon reminded us of it. Forgot how much fun it can be with the right crowd, especially with the expansion/2nd set.
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:14 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Once again, kind of washed out in the pictures, but you get the idea anyway. She's pretty interesting, as half of her face is normal and the other half is a skull, there are some holes in her one leg that exposes some bones in her pants and boot, as well as having a bone hand on that side of her body.
Wow, she looks awesome Hahma! I seriously considered buying this game, as the price seem reasonable for what you get. It is still on my to-buy list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@keglo, you'll have to tell all about the Doom Board Game. Surprisingly I've heard really nothing about that one.
Yeah I know what you mean TREX. I hadn't heard a thing about it either. I just happened across an article about it. I then watched several videos and read several reviews. It has actually been really well received and gets great reviews. I chose it because the gameplay just looked really fun to me, and being a fan of the video games helped too. And if I understand it correctly, this game draws a lot of inspiration Imperial Assault, which I think that you play and enjoy.

I did get it in the mail yesterday. The figures are awesome, and all the components are great quality. I'm already trying to figure out how to paint all of those demons. And the Marines are definitely going to need a paint job soon just so we can tell them apart during a game. I have set up the included tutorial mission and am currently working my way through it solo so that I can learn the game. It might take a while to learn as there are like 9 different card decks, several token types, etc. It seems daunting but I think that it simpler than it appears.

I'll let you know what I think after I get a real game in but I am very happy with it so far.
-
-
-
When you say its like Imperial Assault, are you talking about the skirmish mode or the campaign mode, or both? I've heard good things about the campaign in IA, but myself and my brothers always play skirmish mode.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:38 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Played Anachrony with 3 players over the weekend. Everyone was gushing about it afterward and trying to set up when we can play again. Really cool time travel mechanic where you borrow from yourself in the future, but create possible anomalies that you need to fix from the future or suffer the consequences. The main focus of the game is preparing for an extinction event and to evacuate your people from the planet. Worker placement at its core, but the theme is what sets it apart. Made by the same company that created Trickerion, another really good worker placement game.
That sounds very cool, I'll have to look this up. I enjoy a good worker placement game and the theme and time travel element sounds very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
We have been playing Dead of Winter quite a bit over the last few weeks, probably because Raxxon reminded us of it. Forgot how much fun it can be with the right crowd, especially with the expansion/2nd set.
Dead of Winter is a favorite of mine. I've only played 6-7 times, so I haven't felt the need to expand yet, but what are the best parts of the expansion/stand alone set? I've heard about the Bandits module and the ability to get high powered items and zombies from Raxxon. Do you mix it all in or just certain parts?
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:53 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
When you say its like Imperial Assault, are you talking about the skirmish mode or the campaign mode, or both? I've heard good things about the campaign in IA, but myself and my brothers always play skirmish mode.

Actually I have no idea. I have never played IA in either mode and still have not played a game of Doom with other players. I read that while Doom draws inspiration from IA and Descent, they play very differently. So maybe I shouldn't have mentioned IA at all since I don't personally know anything about it.
-
-
-

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:58 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Funny, my brother in law was just asking me about Blood Rage the other day, in addition to Descent 2e, The Others and Mansions of Madness 2e.

He's just getting into gaming, other than Heroscape, poker and the Strat-O-Matic Hockey we played for 15 years.

He has the new Love Letter that allows more than 4 plyers and Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

Hus first interest is Descent because it reminds him of Heroscape with a lot of expansions. I hadn't played it yet, but am able to borrow it from a friend in my game group so that my brother in law can try before buying.

He's looking for a game that he can play with my sister, 14 year old niece and 21 year old nephew. From what I know of those games, Descent and The Others require one player to be the overlord vs the other players. Descent is a campaign game where The Others is individual games.

Mansions of Madness 2E is coop and uses an app. Some friends play it and say it's good.

Now with regards to Blood Rage, it's the only game of those that I have played, but it was only once and right after it came out, so it's been a little bit. Of those games, this is the only one that is totally competitive. I enjoyed it, but I warned my brother in law that it's not likely something my sister would like. For new players, the card drafting may be a little intimidating, as each round you take one pass the rest etc until they are all taken or whatever. But new players won't really know what cards are the best to take, as some are quests I believe and some are boosts etc. It's a VP scoring game and there are different ways to get them. So I didn't think it would be something that she would be inclined to invest a lot of games into, in order to get to know the strategies and best cards for different things. She's a casual or party game person, so that's what I was working off with my response to my brother in law.

It's a good game and I liked it. But I think it's one of those things that may be dependent on who is going to be playing it.
Hey bud, I just saw this and thought I would throw in my two cents on Descent. I LOVE it! I have all of the quest expansions, the base game, and all of the hero packs. I also have two of the lieutenant packs (not necessary unless you are a completionist). I highly recommend playing it with the app to learn the basics (it walks you through the steps as first), then when you decide to play with a human overlord, its almost like a whole new game! My only complaint about it is that characters level up and acquire better gear as they go, but when you start a new adventure, even if you use the same character, they are supposed to start over. But I have thoroughly enjoyed it with the 3 different groups that I have played with! (Also, if your sister doesn't like the theme, the Ninja Turtles game that came out recently is very similar, but you share dice for actions as opposed to rolling for attack.)

And I also own and love Blood Rage! I agree with most of your assessment, however because of the various Asgardians involved, I think it is much more than a War game. I've seen several people win by sacrificing their people repeatedly.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:22 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just played my 21st game of Blood Rage. Think I'll keep it.
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:23 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

I finally played my first game of Doom The Board Game with my wife and son. It was a blast, even though they literally steamrolled me.

If you don’t know, Doom is a one-verses-many game set on a Mars outpost where humans accidentally opened a portal to hell, where an entity known as the Invader sends his demonic minions to attack the outpost. This is the 2016 version that is based off of the latest Doom video game.

It is one Invader verses up to four marines. You would think that the invader player, with his host of different kinds of demons would have the advantage, but just like the video game, the marines kick ass. And if you do not play with all four marines it gets even harder for the invader because the fewer marines you have the tougher they get, through increasingly better squad cards that they are given. I think that might be one reason that I did so badly my first game. I was going up against only two marines instead of four.

The Core game comes with a Campaign book that contains two campaigns. Each campaign is comprised of 6 missions. Each mission has its own map, token setup, win conditions, etc. To win a campaign, one side has to win 4 missions. The winning conditions for the first mission, the one I lost tonight, is the marine players needed to pick up three objective tokens scattered across the map, or the invader (me) needed to get six frags (kills) on the marines. I pathetically only managed to get one frag before they picked up the third token and won the game.

I learned a lot and hopefully will do better on the next mission. The game is a lot of fun and I am looking forward to playing that next mission.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:34 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
It was a blast, even though they literally steamrolled me.
I'm glad it wasn't a literal blast and hope you recover from your hospital stay soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:44 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@keglo . That sounds a bit more like my ninja turtle game I picked up. I am always the overlord foot clan player in that one.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 31st, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
It was a blast, even though they literally steamrolled me.
I'm glad it wasn't a literal blast and hope you recover from your hospital stay soon.
Hah, I didn't get it at first because I actually was just released from a short hospital a few days ago. I was trying to figure out how in the world you knew about it.

So maybe I wasn't literally steamrolled.

Quote:
@keglo . That sounds a bit more like my ninja turtle game I picked up. I am always the overlord foot clan player in that one.
I am not familiar with that one TREX. You might give it a look though. It's a good one.

Old August 1st, 2017, 12:47 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Quote:
Funny, my brother in law was just asking me about Blood Rage the other day, in addition to Descent 2e, The Others and Mansions of Madness 2e.

He's just getting into gaming, other than Heroscape, poker and the Strat-O-Matic Hockey we played for 15 years.

He has the new Love Letter that allows more than 4 plyers and Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

Hus first interest is Descent because it reminds him of Heroscape with a lot of expansions. I hadn't played it yet, but am able to borrow it from a friend in my game group so that my brother in law can try before buying.

He's looking for a game that he can play with my sister, 14 year old niece and 21 year old nephew. From what I know of those games, Descent and The Others require one player to be the overlord vs the other players. Descent is a campaign game where The Others is individual games.

Mansions of Madness 2E is coop and uses an app. Some friends play it and say it's good.

Now with regards to Blood Rage, it's the only game of those that I have played, but it was only once and right after it came out, so it's been a little bit. Of those games, this is the only one that is totally competitive. I enjoyed it, but I warned my brother in law that it's not likely something my sister would like. For new players, the card drafting may be a little intimidating, as each round you take one pass the rest etc until they are all taken or whatever. But new players won't really know what cards are the best to take, as some are quests I believe and some are boosts etc. It's a VP scoring game and there are different ways to get them. So I didn't think it would be something that she would be inclined to invest a lot of games into, in order to get to know the strategies and best cards for different things. She's a casual or party game person, so that's what I was working off with my response to my brother in law.

It's a good game and I liked it. But I think it's one of those things that may be dependent on who is going to be playing it.
Hey bud, I just saw this and thought I would throw in my two cents on Descent. I LOVE it! I have all of the quest expansions, the base game, and all of the hero packs. I also have two of the lieutenant packs (not necessary unless you are a completionist). I highly recommend playing it with the app to learn the basics (it walks you through the steps as first), then when you decide to play with a human overlord, its almost like a whole new game! My only complaint about it is that characters level up and acquire better gear as they go, but when you start a new adventure, even if you use the same character, they are supposed to start over. But I have thoroughly enjoyed it with the 3 different groups that I have played with! (Also, if your sister doesn't like the theme, the Ninja Turtles game that came out recently is very similar, but you share dice for actions as opposed to rolling for attack.)

And I also own and love Blood Rage! I agree with most of your assessment, however because of the various Asgardians involved, I think it is much more than a War game. I've seen several people win by sacrificing their people repeatedly.
Thanks Spidy!

Though after borrowing Descent from a friend to let my brother in law try it, I found out today from my sister that it wouldn't be a game she would be into, nor my niece. My nephew would love it, but he's away at college and even when he is around, he's too busy to be a reliable gamer. So I'm going to pick the game up and get it back to my friend.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 1st, 2017, 12:58 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Quote:

Thanks Spidy!

Though after borrowing Descent from a friend to let my brother in law try it, I found out today from my sister that it wouldn't be a game she would be into, nor my niece. My nephew would love it, but he's away at college and even when he is around, he's too busy to be a reliable gamer. So I'm going to pick the game up and get it back to my friend.
Imperial Assault is basically the same game, if it is the theme of Descent that is the issue.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games