Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old October 10th, 2016, 01:59 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: JerseyScape - 4X500 Brawl in Tinton Falls, Saturday, 10/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_At_Arms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpicAlpaca View Post
So question on format. It says armies 450-550, would there be games when one person has a 450 point army and the other has 550? Do you kind of see where I'm going. Cool thanks.
It is possible yes, but remember, anyone that fields an army of 550 must make up for it in other rounds. And while it does suck to have to face that army, with hour rounds, it is still quite possible to win on points with this format. Additionally, the most you can give up by chance is 50 points. Choosing to field an army of 450 is a gamble that could pay off or not.
I glad that Chuck is bringing a calculator because the wording about pairing players seems a little convoluted. I'll bring the timers to keep the sessions short duration ( 60 minutes maximum with a 5 minute warning to finish the last round of OM's.

My original idea was for 4x armies of 500 pts. each, but this 450-550 range does allow for some flexibility. More than 500 pts. leads to crowded Start Zones and inefficient OM placement, whereas less than 500 pts. is just giving you opponent an unnecessary advantage. However if someone feels that the perfect combo comes in at 510 or 520 pts., then during their next game they will handicap themselves by playing with that many less points.

This is definitely going to cause some asymmetrical match-ups and that will make it just that much more interesting, after all is is HeroScape and not Chess.

@Man_At_Arms : There's one correction you can make to the front page that will be good news for all participants. I just re-read the flyer again last night when I shared it with a FaceBook group ...and... it says "suggested donation is $5.oo" - not the $10.oo that I had told you in my PM. Maybe we could each bring something to put on the prize table with a +/- $5.oo value that doesn't have to be HS related. They do this at LI,NY events. The person with highest score gets first pick, etc.

This sounds like FUN, so I think I'll come (~~lol~~). Hope to see all ya'all on Sat. ~john G.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 10th, 2016, 11:48 PM

Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker

The pairing 'mix up' in round two is just to take out a bit of the randomness from the draw. If you have 480 in round 1 and you had to face 550, that 70 point deficit is likely to be the largest and will allow you to play against the lowest strength army to be played in round 2.

It occurred to me that with some very bad luck, a player could end up giving up points every round (unlikely but possible).
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:23 PM

You can do the math if you like, but I plan to have all of my 4x Armies within 1% of a straight 500 points. So if you crush me with a 550 then I'll be looking for revenge against your 450.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

Hmm....its been awhile since I've played and I think I could use a good workout and stretch some old muscles. I have to see if I am working this Sat, if I am not and Johngee is willing to pick me up from Rowan University I am down to play.

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old October 13th, 2016, 05:46 PM

Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
You can do the math if you like, but I plan to have all of my 4x Armies within 1% of a straight 500 points. So if you crush me with a 550 then I'll be looking for revenge against your 450.
My biggest differential is only 20 points myself. I suspect most will hug 500 although I think it's neat to have the flexibility.
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer2 View Post
Hmm....its been awhile since I've played and I think I could use a good workout and stretch some old muscles. I have to see if I am working this Sat, if I am not and Johngee is willing to pick me up from Rowan University I am down to play.
~ILMAO~

I am glad to see that you are still checking in occasionally and delighted that you are even considering attending this event. However, it's obvious you must be studying engineering and *NOT* geography (~~lol~~). I wouldn't mind picking you up at Rowan IF I was going to @Dad_Scaper 's event in Savage, MD next month, it's on my way to I-95. I wouldn't mind picking you up at Stockton College, since it's right off my planned route along the GSP. But it's not exactly convenient or efficient to go to Eatontown from Cape May by way of GLASSBORO! However, soon I'm sending a PM with my cell phone number. When you find out if you are working tomorrow let me know if you're serious about me making this side trip hundred mile detour.

Old October 14th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_At_Arms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
My biggest differential is only 20 points myself. I suspect most will hug 500 although I think it's neat to have the flexibility.
Have to agree that the "flexibility" in this format was a "neat" thing to consider and very unexpected. Plus or minus 1% ( 5 points ) would have been a nice thing to have in other tournaments. Plus or minus 10% ( 50 points ) does seem a little extreme. I think it will work in this format with FOUR different Armies not exceeding 2,Oo0 pts.

In my usual fashion, I re-worked the twenty+ Armies that I had brought with me to Trenton from 450 pts. to 500 pts. It wasn't as easy as it seems. I couldn't just add a 50 point unit and stay within MY intended theme for each one. Of course I had to throw in a couple of Isamu's and Otonoshi's and one (very undesirable) Marcu, but almost all are at 500 exactly with one or two coming in at 495. C'ya tomorrow.

Old October 14th, 2016, 04:05 PM

Jet knows what's in an order marker Jet knows what's in an order marker

Hey, @DragonSlayer2 I will coming from Philadelphia and can make a detour to pick you up. I'll PM you with my digits.
Old October 16th, 2016, 01:50 PM

It was great to see everyone! Thanks Johngee for getting us together. It was a great place and for a great cause. Very nice to meet you Eric and thanks for making the trip. Hopefully we can get you up for more Events in the future!
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:37 PM

Jet knows what's in an order marker Jet knows what's in an order marker

I made it back safe and sound in northern Virginia. I had a ton of fun playing 'Scape and was glad to meet everyone! Hope to see you guys soon at the next event!
Old October 17th, 2016, 07:48 PM

@Jet , @Man_At_Arms , @TheEpicAlpaca , @mathjedi -

I am so glad that each of you came and had fun, or else I'd have spent the entire day trying to demo this silly old OOP game to strangers... haha

All of my experiences with this HeroScapeRs community have been fantastic. It was great to meet you Eric, and really nice to see Chuck, Matt, and Paul again. We can keep in touch by participating in the Forums here or on a "HeroScapeRs" page and "HeroScape Chat" page on FaceBook-dot-COM.

How did you guys like the Cemetery Battlefield? I did not get a chance to play on it. I've had the tombstones for years and wanted to use them and then got inspired with idea of creating open graves with piles of dirt and just had to throw it together on a whim Friday night.

Hope to see all ya'all at the next one or soon after. &OBTW: I was talking to Greg at the end of the and he is already thing of planning another Saturday event in January so that people can get their newest additions (i.e. Christmas presents) onto a gaming table. I reminded him that Jersey weather in January is very "IFFY" and may be problematic for anyone traveling large distances. I'll keep you posted as soon as more details are available.

Old October 17th, 2016, 09:29 PM

TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker

Thanks Johngee for organizing everything. Great to see everyone, Chuck, Paul and John and meet Eric and good to play some more scape.
The cemetery map was awesome, Chuck and I played our last game on it and it was really cool.
Hope to hear more about the possibility of January.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events