Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM

artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker
Re: Sherman Davies' Marvel customs - updated 8/6

I really like what you've done with the Silver Surfer and Spider-Man. I always thought their heroscape figs(Dr. Doom's as well) were underpowered according to their comic personas. Nice fix. Good call on equaling out the points with
Spider-Man and Venom. Spider-man taking a turn again is one thing, but
Venom taking a turn with 6 attack probably at least levels the difference
between 14 and 11.

CORVUS

Last edited by artemiscorso; August 6th, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the feedback, artemiscorso. I hadn't really considered Doctor Doom's figure until you mentioned him, but I suppose he could be a notch more powerful. I think the official fig gets it pretty right on - Doctor Doom is one of comics' greatest villians, but not necessarily in raw power. I tend to think of Doom as more a plotter and manipulator than a guy who goes toe to toe in combat a lot. That's what Doombots are for, right?

Regardless, here's a Doom custom that we can hopefully both be happy with:

Old September 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Well, the site reset didn't adversely affect me too much. The only thing I seem to have lost is my original posting of my Ghost Rider custom, so here he is again:

Old September 10th, 2009, 12:07 AM

Re: Sherman Davies' Marvel customs - 9/07 - Ghost Rider

After some playtesting of my Spider-Man custom, I've updated his card with his new point cost of 190. My original placeholder cost was 180 points; after 5 games against a 180-point army of Marro Stingers x 3, Spidey came out with 3 wins and 2 losses. Two of Spidey's wins ended up with him down to his last wound, with the other win leaving him with three wound markers left on his card due to some very good Spidey-Sense rolling.

Since three squads of Marro Stingers is pretty much an army designed to go after Spider-Man (ranged common hero-killers), I decided that 180 was too low for him, especially since the Stingers are currently an A-rated unit. The official playtesters' policy, I believe, is to playtest figures in ideal conditions for them, so I can only imagine that against a mostly melee force (Spidey's ideal matchup) a 180-point Spider-Man would've done even better and be close to broken. Not to mention, my philosophy is not to deliberately make my customs A+ units. Thus, the increase to 190 points.

I've also updated my Venom custom to the same point cost, for much the same reasons.

Last edited by Sherman Davies; September 10th, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Sounds like your playtesting thoughts are dead on there, Sherman! After doing some playtesting with Batman and Superman together, Batman versus Superman, etc., I'm starting to worry that Superman is an A to A+ unit at 400 points. He has counters, but man is he hard to kill!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM

Having your Superman be an A+ figure wouldn't be the end of the world. After all, he IS Superman.

If I have any qualm with my own Superman custom, it's that he's probably an A- figure at best, and a lot less useful if he's alone with no one to boost.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

6 Life seems a little low for a Superman, so that might be part of it. Also, now that I'm looking at it, you might want to glance at "Gladiator Inspiration" to make your Inspiration text conform a little bit more to Heroscape convention. You took a couple linguistic short cuts in that text as compared to Sparty's card, but you have the room to go longer on that card.
I feel pretty similarly about my own TNT Superman, btw. For what he costs, he dies to squads far too easily. I really do enjoy the C3G Superman, though, because he's so friggin tough, he manages to feel worth 400 points even with a single attack per turn, and he zips around the map so fast to boot.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
6 Life seems a little low for a Superman, so that might be part of it.
Maybe, but I took my cue for that from the Silver Surfer and Thanos cards. Their 7 defense and 6 life defines, for me, the upper limit for toughness when it comes to Heroscape. The Hulk and Abomination are roughly the same with their 6 defense and 8 life. I see Superman at the same power level in terms of invulnerability.

Quote:
I feel pretty similarly about my own TNT Superman, btw. For what he costs, he dies to squads far too easily. I really do enjoy the C3G Superman, though, because he's so friggin tough, he manages to feel worth 400 points even with a single attack per turn, and he zips around the map so fast to boot.
Mine doesn't do well against squads either if he's alone. I don't mind so much because it makes drafting figs somewhat thematic - you don't bring Superman unless you're facing something big, and if your opponent drafts Superman you're forced to consider countering with something big yourself.
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM

I had time the past couple of days to playtest my Silver Surfer custom and have updated the card. I raised his cost from 360 to 370 after some lengthy and hair-pulling playtest games.

My games playtested the 360-point version against four different armies:

Sgt. Drake (SotM), Major Q9, Isamu (360 points)
Atlaga, Minions of Utgar x 2, Zetacron (370 points)
Atlaga, Protectors of Ullar x 2, Zetacron (370 points)
Hulk (370 points)

Against the Drake/Q9 army, the Surfer went 1-1, with Q9 being the unit that did the most damage to him both games. Drake just wasn't mobile enough to get adjacent to the Surfer and strike with his katana, and Thorian Speed didn't protect him from the Surfer's Cosmic Blast Special Attack. It did, however, prove useful in that it forced the Surfer to give up Hyper Speed if he wanted to take a shot at Drake. Cutting down Surfer's mobility allowed Q9 to pepper him with the Queglix Gun, which was the weapon that was most effective against the Surfer.

The Surfer also went 1-1 against the Minion army, an army designed to be hard on him. Careful deployment of the 5-Move Minions allowed them to counterattack wherever the Surfer happened to end up. The Surfer could kill Atlaga and Zetacron relatively early in the games, but this forced him into a position in which he could be swarmed with Minions. He managed to weather the Minion assault in the game he won, with 1 wound marker left, but a similar situation in the second game ended up with him falling to the Minions, who had a full squad left at the end of the game.

He did much better against the Protector army. On paper, a ranged flying army of hero-killing squaddies seemed ideal for hunting the Surfer, but their fragile defenses and low numbers meant the Surfer could still strike them where and when he chose. He won both games against them, although in one of them Zetacron and the Protectors managed to put four wounds on him. With a little more luck, Atlaga could've also killed him with Bolt of Witherwood either game.

Against the Hulk, the Surfer managed to split two games. A one-on-one hero battle became very much a test of whose dice failed them first. The only tactical decision making was on the part of the Surfer, who was rarely able to use his Cosmic Blast on the Hulk, for fear of staying in range of a full-strength counterattack from an enraged Hulk. Instead, Surfer would hit and run, forcing the Hulk to leap after him and retaliate with his weakened attack.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM

It's good news for the Marvel customs section when a month's inactivity pushes my thread back to page 3. Go, Marvel customs community!

Anyway, I've been rereading my old collection of '80s Power Pack comics lately and it inspired me to take some time away from my LotR stuff and come up with customs to match my Power Pack minis. Here's my first pass:

Old October 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Re: Sherman Davies' Marvel customs - 10/06 - Katie Power

Cool take on a character I know nothing about! So, basically, she hits really hard, then runs away for the rest of the round, then hits really hard again the next round? I like it. She'd be fun to matchup against the Hulk (though she'd definitely lose).

Old October 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker
Re: Sherman Davies' Marvel customs - 10/06 - Katie Power

Quote:
Cool take on a character I know nothing about! So, basically, she hits really hard, then runs away for the rest of the round, then hits really hard again the next round? I like it. She'd be fun to matchup against the Hulk (though she'd definitely lose).
A 5 year old worth 30 whole points I should hope she would loose.

Pete

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations