Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old November 16th, 2017, 01:54 PM

Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJtheMighty View Post
Thrawn: Oh glorious, simply glorious. I love Timothy Zahn's style and way of describing everything in a simple yet detailed fashion. And Thrawn is my favorite Star Wars character ever, and this was just....awesome.
Thrawn has been the best book I've read this year. When Timothy Zahn came to Oklahoma, I got him to sign my copy of Thrawn.

I've also recently finished Inferno Squad in preparation for the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 game. Inferno Squad was a great book but doesn't quite compete with Thrawn. Currently I am reading Gold of Kings by Davis Bunn. It's about two characters who go on a Da Vinci Code type adventure looking for a long lost treasure.
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Just finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi. I enjoyed it. It was entertaining, but not quite riveting. I will probably give the sequel a try.
Old November 28th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Brandon Sanderson's Third book in the Stormlight Archives series finally has a release date and a book cover.

Oathbringer

I love the art and can't wait until I get my hands on the book.
I just saw this post going through old posts. I'm about 10% through this girthy book.
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:
Brandon Sanderson's Third book in the Stormlight Archives series finally has a release date and a book cover.

Oathbringer

I just saw this post going through old posts. I'm about 10% through this girthy book.
Nice. What do you think so far? I haven't purchased it yet, as I have read the first few chapters from the TOR website. I will be getting it soon though.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Quest Quitter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oathbringer

Nice. What do you think so far? I haven't purchased it yet, as I have read the first few chapters from the TOR website. I will be getting it soon though.
I'm still early in the book, but I did enjoy Kaladin's homecoming. I should have done a quick review of the first two books before I started. It has been a little while since I read them, and it's taking me a little while to get my bearings. Overall I'm digging it.
Old November 29th, 2017, 07:36 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I'm still early in the book, but I did enjoy Kaladin's homecoming. I should have done a quick review of the first two books before I started. It has been a little while since I read them, and it's taking me a little while to get my bearings. Overall I'm digging it.
I really enjoyed Kaladin's homecoming as well. I haven't made it much past that either.

I know what you mean by needing a refresher of the first two books. TOR posted and nice little refresher article that I read before I started Oathbringer. It helped.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:36 AM
Quest Quitter

Just finished Oathbringer. Where is book 4 already?
Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
Quest Quitter

Started Persepolis Rising (The Expanse book 7) today.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:49 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Lefton4ya,

Yes, The Silmarillion awaits mini series treatment. Perhaps different episodes/stories by different directors as a sort of Master Class treatment!

Always nice to meet a fellow Tolkien scholar. There are, of course, many who think he did quite good work.
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

@Dad_Scaper
Per (too many, off-topic) posts in the Movies thread, by myself and others, here's a link to
the Wikipedia article on Great Books. the Wikipedia article on Great Books.
In the article's Concept section, three criteria are cited (from Mr. Adler) for what makes a book a Great Book.

- the book has contemporary significance; that is, it has relevance to the problems and issues of our times;
- the book is inexhaustible; it can be read again and again with benefit;
- the book is relevant to a large number of the great ideas and great issues that have occupied the minds of thinking individuals for the last 25 centuries.

For those who weren't looking at the discussion in the Movies thread, I have attended a college which is founded on a Great Books curriculum for nearly four years. While we're never taught a criteria such as those above, the discussion surrounding what makes a book great is ongoing amongst the community, both during and outside of class. I probably wouldn’t be misrepresenting the wider college community if I were to say that the above criteria are pretty close to the general consensus.

A couple people in the Movies thread also looked up my school and remarked on it. While THIS thread isn’t dedicated to colleges, my college IS dedicated to books, so I don’t feel bad about endorsing it here, but if folks want to discuss it at length, a dedicated thread is probably a better idea, so as not to hijack the thread.

But I'd like to bring this post back to books, and since the thread asks, what are you currently reading, here's a list.

I finished Stendhal's The Red and Black a few days ago. It's funny, chilling, and left me feeling pretty dismal about the world.
I finished re-reading Robert Jordan's The Shadow Rising last night. It's one of my favorite volumes of one of my favorite fantasy series, and it never fails to inspire me in much the same way as a return to the Shire.
I'm in the middle of writing my senior essay (other colleges call this a thesis) on Shakespeare's Henriad, AKA Richard II, Henry IV Part I & Part II, and Henry V. This tetralogy is some of the greatest stagecraft ever written- it'll make you laugh, make you cry, and it's been a source of endless discussion amongst myself and my friends since we all read it together a year and a half ago.
And a few weeks ago, I wrapped up my third reading of Homer's Odyssey. It remains one of the strangest works I've read.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:20 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Just finished Caliban's War, book two of The Expanse. I'm really liking the series. Not-so-spoiler-ish: you think the last chapter holds the big cliffhanger for the next book, but the very last sentence of the epilogue could go in two very different directions. I look forward to finding out!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old February 23rd, 2018, 10:00 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I'm currently reading Second Chances by Matthew Ward. It's the first full novel set in the world of the Frostgrave miniatures game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books