Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Maps & Scenarios
Marvel Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios built primarily for Marvel terrain and figures.

Notices

Old March 21st, 2014, 02:10 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Splitting Superman Scenario!

I just woke up from a strange dream, and thought I'd get it down before I forget it; as it would make an interesting scenario!

I went to bed early after discussing an upcoming Super Scape game ('The Infinity Gauntlet') in real life separately with my local pals Kolakoski (emailing) and Taeblewalker (on the phone), so that is probably what triggered it off. The dream provided just the bare bones for a scenario, but I think it would be lots of fun, so here it is, with a few post dream ideas as well.

In the dream I was flashing back to the specifics of an old Superman comic from the early 1960s, which was in fact a real issue I haven't recalled since way back then! In those early Silver Age days when they were doing Imaginary Stories (which I hated then, but now see as whimsical and fun) and first experimenting with the bizarre possible effects of Red Kryptonite, this issue was called something like "The Strange Story of Superman Red and Superman Blue." The RK split Superman in two, and somehow the effects were permanent (so it had to be an Imaginary Story). I recall the cover with them having different solid color uniforms of those respective colors, plus a contrasting 'S' on their chests (yellow outline?). I don't remember whether they were different in any other way--I don't think so--but in the actual story one continued to fight crime, and the other settled down with Lois Lane and had kids! Cute.

But in the dream, I'm getting ready to play Super Scape, and have only seconds to pick about half of Superman's powers! My opponent will have the rest. So we'll each have a differently powered Superman with the same basic stats. I quickly chose the 'primary' powers--hey, it was a dream, I didn't have any control over my choices. In the dream, Supe's 'normal' card was more complete than any I've actually seen, and somehow included ALL of his powers on one card space. This would be a good trick if one could do it; this would be the Holy Grail of Superman cards! But hey, for these purposes, who says you actually have to be limited to one card space?

My picks were:

Super Strength
Super Speed
Flying

This would leave my opponent with the basic stats plus:

Super Visions (Heat, X-Ray, Microscopic)
Super Hearing
Super Breaths (Blowing wind, Freezing)
Invulnerability

That's all; then I woke up. Since the powers weren't quite this fleshed out in the dream, I'm thinking aloud now in listing the powers. Did I miss any? I'm still kind of sleepy!

Hence the proposed scenario. Both players will get their own 'Limited Edition' Superman to lead their army! It could work. So for a very different way to use Superman in Super Scape, give it a shot. All you have to do is make up that perfect Superman card describing ALL of his powers--feel free to use both sides of the card; or as many 'sides' as you need. If you're lazy, you could start out by combining some of the different Superman cards that are out there.

(Edit) After an email from Griznakh (see seperate post below) I realize that you might have to have two levels of basic stats, when one of the powers is just represented by a stat itself (for example, Super Speed beinfg factored into Movement, or Super Strength into Attack). Now it gets really interesting, and you'd have to work some more on that Scenario Specific Superman card! These numbers could just be represented simply by two values with a slash between them, as I've done on some of my own custom cards when a special power called for a change in certain circumstances (example: Movement 5/10 for without/with Super Speed). All would need to be carefully explained on the extra length card; or you could just make a Superman Card Notes Sheet for the scenario.

Then you can experiment with splitting The Extended Superman card up in different ways. In the dream, I just picked half of them, leaving the other half. But you could alternate 'drafting' the powers individually, couldn't you?

Of course, if you had three or four players, you could divide him up even further, or with four split up Supergirl and/or Kon-El too, using all the Kryptonian hero figures you'd need for their 'split peronalities'.

And you could do the same thing with other multi-powered Super Heroes or Super Villains!

Keep dreaming, fellow creators!

Your pal Chas
Dreaming In Brooklyn

Last edited by chas; March 21st, 2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:52 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Splitting Superman Scenario!

In a private email, buddy Griznakh just pointed out that another "power" that could be added besides the ones I mention above is his 'Heroic Inspiration,' as used for example by C3G. Its more of an ability than a power, but after all, the old TV show theme does say "with powers AND ABILITIES far beyond those of mortal men."

Making up a multi-page SUPERMAN card could be fun, even if only for using in this scenario. After all, you're not going to use the full card for one character, just have more to split up between 'Limited Edition' player versions. So it might be fun to write one up, even if you don't plan to use it in a regular game as such! If you give it a shot, feel free to post it here.

Last edited by chas; March 21st, 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Maps & Scenarios