Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old October 9th, 2017, 11:06 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Spoiler Alert!
Hah hah, I must say, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading your thoughts on the various maps, @Xotli . Priceless.
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:48 PM

michaeltaylor is surprisingly tart

Definitely yes for me!
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:26 AM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart

I trust your judgement on the maps, Xotli.
Just don't make them too advantageous for your VC.
😜
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
Pops and I are in. Though we haven't thought about armies at all either.
Yay! I'll move you to the "definite" column and firm up the map assignments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Hah hah, I must say, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading your thoughts on the various maps, Xotli. Priceless.
Well, I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. But also don't forget that I have a skewed perspective: I think tourney maps are boring basically by design. They're symmetrical (boring), mostly flat (boring), and not too large (boring). So when I look for a tourney map, I'm looking to eke out every last drop of excitement I can despite the constraints they were built with. Hopefully the mapmakers take no offense, because the better they fulfilled their obligations, the less I like the map. But that's just me: I'm weird like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltaylor View Post
Definitely yes for me!
I've got you, MT! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorneedsfoodbadly View Post
I trust your judgement on the maps, Xotli.
Just don't make them too advantageous for your VC.
I would nevar!

_

Okay, map assignments.

First of all, here's what we ended up with in 2014:
Spoiler Alert!

This was 2015:
Spoiler Alert!

And here's last year:
Spoiler Alert!

Finally, here's what I'm proposing for this year:
PROPOSED Maps and Makers
1. April – hivelord
2. Desecrated Mine – Leotheanimal87
3. Dance of the Dryads – Xotli
4. Stygian Rift – warriorneedsfoodbadly
5. Sirocco – Xotli
6. If you can't take the heat... – warriorneedsfoodbadly
7. Flash Fire – warriorneedsfoodbadly

That's 7 maps, which is exactly enough if all our "maybe"s turn into "yes"es (which is pretty unlikely, I think). Total requirements for everyone:
  • @hivelord – 1 RotV, 1 TT, 1 TJ
  • @Leotheanimal87 – 1 SotM, 1 BftU, 1 RttFF
  • @warriorneedsfoodbadly – 1 RotV, 1 SotM, 2 BftU, 2 RttFF, 2 VW, 1 TJ
  • Xotli – 3 BftU, 1 RttFF, 1 VW, 1 TJ
(Full disclosure: I am once again shamelessly using my position as the person who worked all this out, and this time I actually have two of the same maps I brought last year, both of which are still packed up in their boxes in my room because I'm a super lazy bastard. )

Everyone please let me know ASAP if the map assignments are not okay. I think 7 should be plenty; if we need one more, I'll probably end up bringing a 3rd map. But I doubt we'll get to that point. Hopefully this puts the maps to bed and I can get started working on armies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:49 PM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart

I should be able to build 3 maps if I start very early and/or if someone helps me.
I don't have a color printer so I'll be using my phone to build them until a color printout arrives.
We do need to determine heavy snow and slippery ice maps.
Also, glyphs. Which glyphs allowed are on the first post but is everyone agreed that they are only used if both players agree to their use or should we have another method determining whether or not glyphs are deployed?
Old October 11th, 2017, 01:05 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

Will bring the map descreated mine!

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old October 11th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I should be able to build 3 maps if I start very early and/or if someone helps me.
I don't have a color printer so I'll be using my phone to build them until a color printout arrives.
Well, as you know, we have typically sucked at trying to get there at 11, much less before it. But I'm happy to make the attempt. AFAIC you could just wait to start building until we get there—if we start playing a little later than noon, that won't be the end of the world. With the smaller number of participants, we hardly ever need very many rounds anyway. But it's entirely up to you.

I will absolutely bring color printouts for all maps, and plenty of bodies to pitch in on the mapmaking.

Quote:
We do need to determine heavy snow and slippery ice maps.
Well, April is the only map with TT this year (unless we need to expand the list). And, officially, April says normal snow / normal ice. I always find that so boring tho ... I mean, if it's going to be normal snow and normal ice, you might as well have used sand and water, right? Since the snow areas on this map are primarily ice, with smaller pockets of snow primarily for height, I personally would propose heavy snow / normal ice. That way, you either take the easy way through but you're lower, or you have to really work at it to gain the height. That feels more interesting and dynamic to me. But I'll go along with however people want to do it.

Of course, no one will ever go back into the arctic areas on that map unless we use the glyphs. Which brings us to:

Quote:
Also, glyphs. Which glyphs allowed are on the first post but is everyone agreed that they are only used if both players agree to their use or should we have another method determining whether or not glyphs are deployed?
Again, I'm flexible, but there really are certain maps where the glyphs are the only thing drawing people into certain areas, like on April. (On April in particular, the symbol-side-up glyphs seem necessary, but then the treasure glyphs feel redundant, so that one's a bit of an oddity.)

We can do it however. But my personal recollection is that, out of the 5 or so years we've claimed we're going to use glyphs, we so far never have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotheanimal87 View Post
Will bring the map descreated mine!
Excellent. I'm going to call the maps done, barring any objections from @hivelord . Top post updated with that info, plus updates on confirmations from our crew. Looks like we're at a minimum of 10 so far!

Oh, speaking of hivelord: dude, I have your Marcu. Don't forget to remind me to give it back to you.

(I'm also missing a Guilty (but not his card). I'm almost positive he got lost here at the house rather than at the tourney last year, but, JIC I'm wrong and someone has an extra Guilty, please let me know.)

Plus I have a contribution for the prize table. Maybe even more than one, if it's needed.

Getting excited!

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:03 AM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

April seems interesting but I am also a bit confused about it being normal snow/ice.

We always say we'll use glyphs and we never do. I'd of course be up for it but I'm not a big treasure glyph fan.
[MENTION=1]Xotli[/MENTION] you do have my Marcu don't you. Haha. (Sadly, I haven't played Scape since this time last last year and so haven't noticed.) Also, I think I won a repainted Guilty at some point so I may have a spare original paint Guilty. I'll look into it.

Also, could I maybe borrow a couple squads of stingers again?

Excited to see y'all!

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I hope you guys don't mind me crossing state lines into your thread here, but I like to nose around to see what other groups do for NHSD and saw you talking about April and thought I'd offer some input. I actually did originally design it for Heavy Snow/Normal Ice, but changed the snow in consideration of super competitive metas - mainly because 6-move figures like Rats could hit each glyph in 2 turns while 5-move figures took 3. But if you have a more chill group of 'Scapers (like most groups here) then changing the snow to heavy should be just fine! I hope you enjoy the map!

Oh, and while I'm here, I've got to give a thanks to you guys for inspiring our NHSD format - we're using a restricted list based heavily off of the ones you're using and I'm looking forward to see how it affects our tournament.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
April seems interesting but I am also a bit confused about it being normal snow/ice.
I know, right? Shall we just agree to make it heavy snow/normal ice?

Quote:
We always say we'll use glyphs and we never do. I'd of course be up for it but I'm not a big treasure glyph fan.
I'm okay with only using non-treasure glyphs. I'm okay with pretty much anything as regards glyphs, honestly. If we actually manage to use them this year, it'll be a refreshing change of pace. And, if we don't ... business as usual, I suppose.

Quote:
Xotli you do have my Marcu don't you. Haha. (Sadly, I haven't played Scape since this time last last year and so haven't noticed.)
Yeah, I haven't played much since last year either, TBH. I ran across the double Marcu action when I was going through my filler box. And then I found the card with your initials on it and was like, ohhhh yeah ... I borrowed that, didn't I?

This year I swear we're going to make a list of who borrows what and go around at the end and make sure everything gets back where it belongs.

Quote:
Also, I think I won a repainted Guilty at some point so I may have a spare original paint Guilty. I'll look into it.
Well, you certainly don't have to, but, you know ... if he's just lying around useless ...

I'm 95% sure he's here at the house somewhere, but I cannot lay hands on him (and the kids haven't been able to find him either). I was proxying Shotgun Sullivan for him in my practice game, but I think I'm going to reconfigure some stuff and not need him after all. But someone may yet want to toss him in somewhere (I've still got to help plan out about 10 armies), so it'll be helpful if someone has an extra at least for borrowing, that'd be nifty.

Quote:
Also, could I maybe borrow a couple squads of stingers again?
Sure, no problem. Added to my "pack" list.

Quote:
Excited to see y'all!
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I hope you guys don't mind me crossing state lines into your thread here, ...
No, sure, c'mon in.

Quote:
... but I like to nose around to see what other groups do for NHSD and saw you talking about April and thought I'd offer some input. I actually did originally design it for Heavy Snow/Normal Ice, but changed the snow in consideration of super competitive metas – mainly because 6-move figures like Rats could hit each glyph in 2 turns while 5-move figures took 3. But if you have a more chill group of 'Scapers (like most groups here) then changing the snow to heavy should be just fine!
Well, it looks to me like you can get to the glyphs without ever touching the snow, if you want to. And whatever you save cutting across the snow you lose again because it's a (half-)level up. So I'm not sure why the ARV judges felt that making it normal snow helped that much. But I'm glad to see we're pretty much all in agreement here that normal snow isn't really adding anything to the map. Normal ice, at least, is a half-height tile with no other special properties, which isn't true of any other tile. But normal snow may as well be sand or grass, as I mentioned up above.

So, yeah, let's go with heavy snow / normal ice. And I think we should use the glyphs on the ice, but not the two Brandar/treasure glyphs. That's just my .

Quote:
I hope you enjoy the map!
Hey, thanks to you (and the rest of the ARV) for getting us something new to play on this year.

Quote:
Oh, and while I'm here, I've got to give a thanks to you guys for inspiring our NHSD format – we're using a restricted list based heavily off of the ones you're using and I'm looking forward to see how it affects our tournament.
Great! I personally think it's helped a lot by stamping out a lot of the same-old-same-old armies we were seeing—redcoats and hyrdas, Q9 and rats, etc—without being as restrictive as some of the other lists out there, because half your go-to filler units are on the restricted list. It forces everyone to be a bit more creative and we end up seeing a wider variety of units at the table. Let us know how it goes for you guys.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Okay, progress so far:
  • I've built 6 out of 12 armies.
  • I've built a simplified PDF of all the maps.
  • I've rebased one out of 8 figures that need rebasing.
  • I've got PDFs for all the cards I need printing.
  • I've updated the points sheet and turned it into a PDF.
  • I've played half a practice game with the Smaller Animal.

That still leaves a bunch of stuff to do though. Tomorrow will be a busy day!

@hivelord , I do have your Marcu, but apparently I've got two armies that need him again this year (everybody loves them some Marcu, looks like!). So hopefully you don't need him yourself and we can just hold on to him until the end.

hivelord and/or @warriorneedsfoodbadly : Apparently my Iskra has run off with Guilty. Leaving behind both her rechets and her card, wouldn't ya know it. So I need to borrow both those figures from one of you if you can swing it. (hivelord already said he might have a spare Guilty.)

I think what we'll do this year is just drive straight there and drop off map instructions and map-builder-helpers, and then I'll go out and rustle up some brunch. Now that Mickey D's doesn't cut us off at 10:30, it's much more feasible to do that, and this way you guys can get started with maps earlier. As long as people get to my house on time, I should be able to get there at a reasonable hour for a change.

Our numbers are finalized (top post updated). I sure hope @Detrimentalman can make it so we'll have an even 12. Which is not too shoddy for a last-minute-scramble to organize a tournament for a 5-years-discontinued game.

More updates tomorrow!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 13th, 2017, 10:04 AM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I’ll just bring my whole army bucket and y’all can borrow whatever.
I never really think to use Marcu so you’re good to go on that borrow.

Ready for tomorrow!
(Kinda)

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day