Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old September 15th, 2016, 11:54 AM

DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby!
How do ya'll store your stuff?

I've just started out, but thanks to the Massive generosity of some of the members here and an ignorant bid on my part on E-bay I'm going to end up with ~6 core sets worth of terrain and ~150 ish figures (which I know is quite paltry from what I've seen some of ya'll post) so my question is this:

HOW DO YA'LL STORE THIS?!?!?!

I dont have space to put any on display, I'm thinking rubber maid tubs with Foam core inserts for terrain/figures and baggies for would/dice/turn markers ect. Sorting terrain by size and doing a foam core section for each size (perhaps bagging single hexes and water)

anyone done this before? (I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it)
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:18 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: How do ya'll store your stuff?

For terrain I have large ziploc bags that I use to sort out the single and double pieces by type. Such as all single and double hex grass tiles go in one bag. Some of the types that have fewer pieces might have the three hex pieces in there as well. The large 24 and 7 hex pieces are sorted and stacked in the main box with the bags placed in the box. I stack the 24 hexes on end so I can find what I want faster.

As far as figures I use plastic adjustable storage boxes that I get at Micheal's craft store. I pick them up using the 20% off coupon for about $5 or less each. I mainly play superheroes so I have 4 for Marvel, 4 for DC. They are organized by affiliations. For instance I keep all my Mutants in one box so if I decided to play X-Men vs Magneto's brotherhood I can just pull out the one box. I make markers out of stickers and cheap poker chips that I paint when I need different colors and I store them in the box with the character that use them.

For order markers, dice, and stuff I use a smaller plastic box. I have a four player set up with four different colors of order markers with a matching D20 and Wood Tokens numbered 1-4 for turn order by initiative (I play with my young son and his friends so we discovered this was the best way to keep straight) I have a plain cardboard box for the extra order markers in case I need them some day.

I don't have 6 sets like you do but I have accumulated a lot of figures over the years.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:26 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

I have a mansion set aside for my Terrain collection, and a Foundation takes care of it.
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:43 PM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

I use a mix of a giant rubbermaid tub and plano 3700 tackle boxes. All Terrain is in the Storage Bricks for the set (mostly RotV). Large figures are in a medium rubbermaid tub. All squads and smaller figures are in tackle boxes by general. 28mm figures fit VERY well in the 3700, so it can be used elsewhere, too. I have 3 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 FotA, and like 6 tackle boxes that all fit in my closet.
Old September 15th, 2016, 03:22 PM

Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby!

Large Rubbermaid bins w/ lockable lids, massive multi-tiered shelving for figures, and then small craft drawers for markers/glyphs/dice. Takes up half the crawl space in the basement and the shelving is about 6 feet tall.

PM me about any custom scenery
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:30 PM

DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpriteMichaeler View Post
I use a mix of a giant rubbermaid tub and plano 3700 tackle boxes. All Terrain is in the Storage Bricks for the set (mostly RotV). Large figures are in a medium rubbermaid tub. All squads and smaller figures are in tackle boxes by general. 28mm figures fit VERY well in the 3700, so it can be used elsewhere, too. I have 3 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 FotA, and like 6 tackle boxes that all fit in my closet.
Well I had NO CLUE what a storage Brick was...now I do. Now to go find some giant rubberbands
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Most of my minis are in reusable storage containers from the dollar store. You can get 3-5 for a buck, depending on the size.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have the terrain stored in sets. One RotV in a bin, a second RotV in a separate bin. That way, when you're building a map, you can look at the terrain requirements and scoop out exactly what you'll need.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 15th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've been meaning to type up my storage system in detail because I think there are a couple of somewhat novel elements to it, but briefly I'll mention the strategy here.

Because I have so much terrain, I divide it up into long-term and short term storage. Short term storage is the stuff I actively work with.

First the long term stuff because it is a fun one to talk about. Long term storage is there to build stuff for tournaments or epic projects. The main goal for it is to be able to be efficiently packed (I only have so much space) and also to be quickly pulled by "sets." In other words, if I want 2 SotM and 2 TJ for a particular map, I can grab that quantity of terrain. (Trust me, that's handy. See D_S's regret above).

To do this, I use the idea of "storage bricks" pioneered by bunjee. If unfamiliar with the idea, have a look at this download where @AliasQTip documents a few different types. My storage bricks are different than others I've seen on the site in that mine always fit inside of the footprint of a two 24-hexers connected together to make a 48-hex rectangle--no protrusions. The reason why will become apparent in a bit. Like the original bricks, mine are also rubber banded together, and I can pull all of the tiled terrain for discrete set as a single unit very quickly. Those storage bricks work well for tiled terrain, but things like trees and glaciers go into a ziplock bag, one set per bag, again so it can be pulled as a discrete unit.

These bricks and bags go inside of Banker's Boxes (BBs):

I LOVE THEM for Heroscape storage! They are cheap, ubiquitous, durable, stackable, and importantly for our purposes, sized PERFECTLY to fit the 48-hexer-based bricks mentioned above. The length and height of a BB is PERFECT to store the bricks if you stand the up on their long edge. In this way, a single banker's box could be used to store 4 RoTV or 6 SoTM or I-dont-remember-how-many-BFTU with very little wasted space. Or you can mix-and-match sets in one box. If I pull 2 RoTV out of that of 4 RoTV box, there is now space to slot in 3 SoTM or perhaps 2 SoTM and a BftU or maybe you prefer 1 SoTM and 2 castle sets. It's very flexible and fills the boxes very fully. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll take pictures.

The stuff in bags also goes in BBs. Nothing special about that, just a bunch of bags thrown in the box. Being bagged makes it very easy to pull exactly what I need (e.g., 2 bags of glaciers, 1 bag of jungle).

Remember how I said above I'm being brief? Well, it looks like I lied, but there are many details to this solution I will leave off to at least be be brief-er.

Short term terrain storage also goes in BBs, with a much more rough sort used. This stuff gets constantly reworked, so it doesn't make sense to be bundling and unbundling it into formal storage bricks.

The BBs are labelled on their end and placed on shelving. Voila--pretty much instant access to any terrain in my insanely large collection.

How about figures? They go in cardboard too, but not BBs. They go in BCW Card Houses:

Dice and other small bits also go in them. Here's an old picture of most of my official figures in storage:

Everything is strictly alphabetically (i.e., no sorting by attributes like size or general) and the name on the outside of the drawer is the first unit alphabetically that is stored in that drawer. Here's what it looks like if you open up one of the drawers (which are much deeper than they look in this picture--they go a lot further back (15-inches, IIRC)):

As you can see, big units fit fine in the drawers. Some of them do need wings removed before storage though (e.g., Zelrig, but not Sujoah as you can see in the picture).

The great thing about these card houses is that they mix very nicely with BBs. I don't have a good image of the whole collection handy, but here is an image from when I was cleaning out the basement and needed to store things (not on shelving) in the garage for a weekend:

The collection was a bit messier back then and also most of the box labels are facing the wall away from us, but you get the idea. (Things are much tidier now, but I'm not at home and as I said, I don't have a better picture handy.) Anyway, as you can see, the sizes of the two types of storage units work together very nicely. They also mix nicely with retail HS boxes. Heck, NIB figures and small terrain expansions and such even store nice and efficiently in the BBs.

In short, if you've got a lot of terrain, Bankers boxes are an awesome option for storage. If you're the type that needs to store things in plastic (maybe you need to control humidity or have critter issues), BBs are also available in that, but cost about three times as much as the cardboard (about $1.50 per box for cardboard and $4.50 for plastic--Walmart prices).

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; September 15th, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Dang. Not sure if I'm more impressed with the size of the collection or the organization system. I've only got a couple master sets and a few expansions to my name (and no doubles of anything), but the upside of that is that my Scape collection fits into one big tote for terrain and a couple smaller ones for figures and accessories.
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
I've been meaning to type up my storage system in detail because I think there are a couple of somewhat novel elements to it, but briefly I'll mention the strategy here.

Because I have so much terrain, I divide it up into long-term and short term storage. Short term storage is the stuff I actively work with.

First the long term stuff because it is a fun one to talk about. Long term storage is there to build stuff for tournaments or epic projects. The main goal for it is to be able to be efficiently packed (I only have so much space) and also to be quickly pulled by "sets." In other words, if I want 2 SotM and 2 TJ for a particular map, I can grab that quantity of terrain. (Trust me, that's handy. See D_S's regret above).

To do this, I use the idea of "storage bricks" pioneered by bunjee. If unfamiliar with the idea, have a look at this download where @AliasQTip documents a few different types. My storage bricks are different than others I've seen on the site in that mine always fit inside of the footprint of a two 24-hexers connected together to make a 48-hex rectangle--no protrusions. The reason why will become apparent in a bit. Like the original bricks, mine are also rubber banded together, and I can pull all of the tiled terrain for discrete set as a single unit very quickly. Those storage bricks work well for tiled terrain, but things like trees and glaciers go into a ziplock bag, one set per bag, again so it can be pulled as a discrete unit.

These bricks and bags go inside of Banker's Boxes (BBs):

I LOVE THEM for Heroscape storage! They are cheap, ubiquitous, durable, stackable, and importantly for our purposes, sized PERFECTLY to fit the 48-hexer-based bricks mentioned above. The length and height of a BB is PERFECT to store the bricks if you stand the up on their long edge. In this way, a single banker's box could be used to store 4 RoTV or 6 SoTM or I-dont-remember-how-many-BFTU with very little wasted space. Or you can mix-and-match sets in one box. If I pull 2 RoTV out of that of 4 RoTV box, there is now space to slot in 3 SoTM or perhaps 2 SoTM and a BftU or maybe you prefer 1 SoTM and 2 castle sets. It's very flexible and fills the boxes very fully. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll take pictures.

The stuff in bags also goes in BBs. Nothing special about that, just a bunch of bags thrown in the box. Being bagged makes it very easy to pull exactly what I need (e.g., 2 bags of glaciers, 1 bag of jungle).

Remember how I said above I'm being brief? Well, it looks like I lied, but there are many details to this solution I will leave off to at least be be brief-er.

Short term terrain storage also goes in BBs, with a much more rough sort used. This stuff gets constantly reworked, so it doesn't make sense to be bundling and unbundling it into formal storage bricks.

The BBs are labelled on their end and placed on shelving. Voila--pretty much instant access to any terrain in my insanely large collection.

How about figures? They go in cardboard too, but not BBs. They go in BCW Card Houses:

Dice and other small bits also go in them. Here's an old picture of most of my official figures in storage:

Everything is strictly alphabetically (i.e., no sorting by attributes like size or general) and the name on the outside of the drawer is the first unit alphabetically that is stored in that drawer. Here's what it looks like if you open up one of the drawers (which are much deeper than they look in this picture--they go a lot further back (15-inches, IIRC)):

As you can see, big units fit fine in the drawers. Some of them do need wings removed before storage though (e.g., Zelrig, but not Sujoah as you can see in the picture).

The great thing about these card houses is that they mix very nicely with BBs. I don't have a good image of the whole collection handy, but here is an image from when I was cleaning out the basement and needed to store things (not on shelving) in the garage for a weekend:

The collection was a bit messier back then and also most of the box labels are facing the wall away from us, but you get the idea. (Things are much tidier now, but I'm not at home and as I said, I don't have a better picture handy.) Anyway, as you can see, the sizes of the two types of storage units work together very nicely. They also mix nicely with retail HS boxes. Heck, NIB figures and small terrain expansions and such even store nice and efficiently in the BBs.

In short, if you've got a lot of terrain, Bankers boxes are an awesome option for storage. If you're the type that needs to store things in plastic (maybe you need to control humidity or have critter issues), BBs are also available in that, but cost about three times as much as the cardboard (about $1.50 per box for cardboard and $4.50 for plastic--Walmart prices).

Yeah so this is straight up Awesome! you have more heroscape stuff than most people I know have Total board games. thanks for the write up and advice!
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:09 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old September 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've been asked for more detail so this morning I opened up a few boxes to take some snapshots. I'll take more pictures later and apologies for the poor quality. I really only had a couple of minutes to do this.

For starters, here is a picture of a box with 4 complete sets of RoTV terrain, with one of the 4 bricks partially lifted out.

and placed on top

You can fit 30 "layers" of 48-hexes of terrain in one box. Each RoTV set takes 7 layers*, so I can fit 4 per box leaving me a bit of extra room on the edges for me to hang the ruins.

Here's a semi-random shot showing a full box of 4 RoTV with two sets of BftU standing on edge just outside of the box. As you can see, those two BftU are 6 layers, so you could take out one RoTV and slot those two BftU in the box. (Or using the same easy math, you can see that if you only put BftU tiles into a box, you could fit 10 master sets worth!).

I didn't happen to grab a SoTM brick, but those can obviously be mixed just as easily. (EDIT: actually, it looks like you can can see a bit of swamp in that box in the background, but that doesn't show off the brick at all).

Now we move on to the long-standing question of "can you mix Marvel with classic scape?" We all already know the answer, "yes" followed by an asterisk. The same is true with mixing Marvel terrain storage bricks in the same box as classic scape bricks. The reason in this case for the yes-with-an-asterisk is that the Marvel terrain sets are so much smaller and contain no 24-hexers. That makes it is difficult to create a brick that has a more-or-less 48 hex footprint and still hold together stably without using a ton of rubberbands. There are two solutions. One is to bundle a couple of marvel sets together into one brick and use the 7-hexers as best you can to make things stable. That works pretty well, although it isn't my preferred solution. What I do instead is to "let Marvel be Marvel" and give it its own smaller brick size:

These bricks work best if you give them their own box and, as suggested by the photo, arrange them in the other direction to more completely fill up a box. However, it works perfectly fine to make some space in a box with other master sets and slot the smaller marvel brick in there, going the same direction as the other master sets. Since it leaves some extra space, it's just not optimal. As I hinted above, this storage compromise is a good parallel to mixing Marvel with Valhalla scape in-game. It works, so go right ahead and have fun with it, but its not 100% seamless. (Shout out to ET86!)

---

I have some amount of NIB stuff. My previous post mentioned that a lot of retail boxed things work well with Bankers Boxes. I took a couple of quick shots of putting unopened wave boosters inside. Here's some classic Wave 1:

and the box under it was Wave 9. You can fit 20 boosters per box and as you can see this one isn't completely full:

That's all I have time for right now. I will try to show/explain how I do small terrain expansions and handle other miscellaneous other terrain (outcrops, warehouse ruins, hive, etc). at a future date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Dang. Not sure if I'm more impressed with the size of the collection or the organization system. I've only got a couple master sets and a few expansions to my name (and no doubles of anything), but the upside of that is that my Scape collection fits into one big tote for terrain and a couple smaller ones for figures and accessories.
The size of my collection is great for many reasons, but really it is impractical. Does anybody ever *really* use 50 RoTV sets? No, not Gencon tournaments, and not even Dr. Weirdscaper! I "fell into" acquiring most of it super cheap. It was a total lucky, random situation. Solving the puzzle of "how to store this" was a fun task though!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion