Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM

oogiezone Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Quote:
But lots of people like the book so you have no right to call the book horrible Imax.
So no one is allowed to have a negative opinion about something that you or lots of people like?
No. That's not what I said.
That is what you said.

Quote:
But I am sure that the people who like this book take offense to him sidling in and bashing the book. As I said, I got yelled at for calling Avatar a stupid show because everyone else liked it.
I went back and read the Avatar thread, and there were two things that I think were upsetting. First, you asked IMax if he was too old to be watching cartoons, which is attacking his person and that isn't right. Second, you made a huge generalization. You said that ALL anime is horrible. When asked, you said that the reason you feel this way is because of ONE anime show that was bad. It seems to me, that what people are objecting to is your insult to IMax and your generalization about anime, not the fact that you don't like Avatar. You are allowed to not like whatever you want, and are definately allowed to express that opinion, just try not to do it with insults and generalizations.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
I looked through al the pages in this section, but could not find the thread.
Its on page 2.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=4218
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogiezone
I realize I'm coming to this discussion a little late, but the fact that the relationships in this book are patterned after Star Wars doesn't bother me in the least. I really enjoy these books, and I really hate Star Wars. I'm glad that Paolini made the story into something that I enjoy.
BLASPHEMY! How in the world was George Lucas' genius lost on you, yet some 15-yr-old imitator sells it to you?!

Disclaimer: I'm a huge Star Wars fan and very much dislike Paolini's BS, the complete opposite of oogiezone. How anyone can dislike Star Wars yet love Paolini's work is beyond me. I have nothing against oogiezone.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
If you read all of the second and I believe third page you will see I back up my statement about Anime. I don't like the style. it looks ugly. And I never said he was too old. I have never said that to anyone. I mearly stated in a joking manner that he was an adult and I found it funny for him to watch cartoons, just as most everyone thinks that everyone on this site is weird for playing with Miniatures. But if I'm not allowed to say anything about my dislike of Avatar, then I have every right to call him out on his dislike of Eragon.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

oogiezone Woo who?
I can't help it...I thought the movie was boring and the acting was atrocious and the characters weren't interesting. They had incredible potential, but George Lucas didn't sell me on his vision. Maybe if he wrote a book instead of make a movie, I would have liked it better. That way I could have imagined the characters to be interesting and maybe the story would have captured my attention better. Then again, maybe not...the LOTR books lost me for the same reasons the Star Wars movies did.
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Maybe that Dresden Files series you've mentioned. We'll see.
Maybe? I can't recommend those books enough. Read the Dresden Files. You won't regret it. Storm Front is number 1.
I picked up Storm Front yesterday and am digging it so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

Is the series continuous from one book to another, or does each book stand on it's own? At the Borders that I was at, they had the first, third, fourth and so on, but they didn't have the second book. I was temped to buy the third one too, but I didn't want to skip the sequence unless each book stood on its own.
The Dresden books have some continuous elements, but each book has a self-contained plot. If you read them out of order, you will find some spoilers for the books you skipped, but you definitely won't be lost. I am currently at the mercy of the library, and since the Dresden books are in high demand, I've been reading what I can get when I can get it. I read book 7 (Dead Beat - still my favorite) first, then # 6, 4, 8, 5, and 9 is next on the list.

Of course this isn't the ideal way to read the series, but I have still enjoyed the books immensely. I did know some of the major plot points that were coming, but not the details so I don't consider myself "spoiled". Also, much of the fun of the Dresden books is in the writing style and characterization (but taking nothing away from the plots) and skipping ahead won't affect that. So bottom line - if #3 is the next book you can find, get it, enjoy it, and come back to #2 when you can.

And to keep this slightly on topic, the Inheritance books were easy to read and enjoyable, but nothing to get excited about. I devoured all the Fantasy I could when I was a teenager, but had read very little Fantasy for years before picking up Eragon. It wasn't War and Peace, but as a light read, it was fine. Eldest was a little less enjoyable, but I'll probably try the third book when it comes out.
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogiezone
I can't help it...I thought the movie was boring and the acting was atrocious and the characters weren't interesting. They had incredible potential, but George Lucas didn't sell me on his vision. Maybe if he wrote a book instead of make a movie, I would have liked it better. That way I could have imagined the characters to be interesting and maybe the story would have captured my attention better. Then again, maybe not...the LOTR books lost me for the same reasons the Star Wars movies did.
Star Wars was based intentionally on old pulp adventures whereas LotR was patterned after old Scandinavian/German myths and epics, as well as other classical sources. Stylistically this made them very different. That's why in Star Wars it's okay for me for the acting to be pretty poor in parts (though there are also absolutely outstanding performances by Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, Alec Guiness, and James Earl Jones) whereas for a film adaptation LotR required a heavier, more literary approach which I think Peter Jackson pulled off pretty well (most notably in the 2nd film that had some real powerhouse actors). The place where they intersect is actually pretty interesting though. Both are strongly rooted with the motivation of creating a new mythology for a culture that lacks ancient historical roots due to a history of cultural merging rather than a continuous cultural tradition and both of them are heavily steeped in Joseph Campbell's idea of the Hero's Journey, albeit only Star Wars intentionally so, and as such share many important plot points and character achetypes. They are also both epic fantasy trilogies, even if Star Wars is cleverly disguised as science fiction.

I'm curious - by the time you had seen Star Wars had you already read a lot of more recent sci-fi/fantasy books and seen a lot of sci-fi/fantasy movies? The same question goes for Lord of the Rings. A lot of the things that make those two trilogies really outstanding have been so heavily borrowed from by other writers and directors that they now seem a lot more clichéd than they did when the works were fresh. Lord of the Rings completely changed the fantasy genre and Star Wars completely changed the way in which movies were made. They are both pivotal points in the evolution of their respective genres.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
I don't see why everyone slams it. I seem to remember being yelled at for calling Avatar stupid. Now Imax (the one who called me stupid) Is doing what I did and is not being told off for it in the least. *chough*double standard*chough* I get in trouble for everything because I'm a kid and I'm getting sick and tired of it. Stop being biased because of my age. It's freakin annoying. I love Eragon and Eldest yet I thought the movie sucked. Everyone thinks the movie sucked. But lots of people like the book so you have no right to call the book horrible Imax. I hate the double standard on this site.
Haha! I think it's hilariously awesome that you're still carrying a grudge about that.

EDIT: I had a whole long post, then changed my mind again. I'll just keep laughing at the monkey-like antics and hold my reasonable response. It would be wasted anyway.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
Both are strongly rooted with the motivation of creating a new mythology for a culture that lacks ancient historical roots due to a history of cultural merging rather than a continuous cultural tradition and both of them are heavily steeped in Joseph Campbell's idea of the Hero's Journey, albeit only Star Wars intentionally so, and as such share many important plot points and character achetypes. They are also both epic fantasy trilogies, even if Star Wars is cleverly disguised as science fiction.
I knew there was a reason I liked you. Joseph Campbell is brilliant. I particularly like his discussions regarding the similarities found in all world religions.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, MI_Tiger!

On behalf of our book reading and occult curious community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the fellowship, praise and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, who gave up on the Dresden Files after book three or four

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:47 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!
Thanks for the welcome, Aldin. I have been lurking quietly for a couple of months, and have found this forum to consistently be one of the most helpful and civil message boards I've ever seen. People disagree, sure, but I've never seen it get out of control like most boards or usenet groups do. It really stands out for that. And of course its a GREAT resource for all things Heroscape - I've been loving the custom threads and even entered last week's speed custom contest (mine was the troll with "Crippling Blow" power - playable but pretty run of the mill).

I'm happy to be a part of the group.
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
~Aldin, who gave up on the Dresden Files after book three or four
Why?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books