Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old December 1st, 2017, 09:36 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Glyphs - Which ones do you use?

I use none. To me, they make the game feel more like a board game and less like a miniatures game.
Old December 1st, 2017, 10:40 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

I also use none as I think they add additional change factors that aren't really needed. I've always thought about dropping them to create incentives to battle over certain areas but it just never comes to fruition.
Old December 1st, 2017, 11:43 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I don't play a lot of Classic so in C3G games I only use them for a scenario except for the figures that start with them. When we first started playing we used the classic ones but found them too disruptive for us so we quit. Also since nearly all my playing these days is testing I try to eliminate anything that could skew the results.

Some maps though need a glyph.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 05:06 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Pile on the Reds.

I (still) love Glyphs. About the only ones I won’t use are Def +2, Common Atk +1, and Range +4. The rest are typically fair game, depending on the ocassion. I had a really cool canyon battlefield, that Thorian made it’s presence on (and 2 Wind glyphs to keep flying in check). I’ve even done some custom glyphs with their spins; such as Height +3, Displacement, and an Attack Aura. Bigger games (with 2000+ points on the map) are not affected by Glyphs as much, however.

Treasure Glyphs are all fair game too. Often we’ll even let players give a hero a random Treasure at the start of the match.

For the most part I use this pool currently:
Attack +1 Summoner*
Defense +1 Unique Attack +1
Move +2 Wounder
Initiative +8 Negation*
Massive Curse*. Remove OM*
Healer*. D20 rolls +1

*one shot

Once I get some of the C3V’s glyphs printed I’ll include those (and my own).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:36 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Put the Hero back in Heroscape and only use Treasure Glyphs.
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I used to use every single glyph in a massive battlefield that, in hindsight, was still far too small for such craziness. I also always shuffled them and put them face down, so there was always a mysterious glyph within seven-twelve spaces away. This was of course horribly imbalanced, but it was always a treat to see how many glyphs players could capture and hold at a time!

Now, I've mostly migrated to the standard tournament pools for glyphs. I am trying to figure out some kind of map that can justify a Glyph of Thorian in a competitive setting, though my ideas are having some pretty serious flaws so far.
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:46 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Put the Hero back in Heroscape and only use Treasure Glyphs.
I actually like to use a healthy amount of treasure glyphs, and powerful ones, in the online classic league for the reason you imply here.

I think something was missed with treasure glyph usage in their development. Too hard to get and the traps designed in the rulebook were way too harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Now, I've mostly migrated to the standard tournament pools for glyphs. I am trying to figure out some kind of map that can justify a Glyph of Thorian in a competitive setting, though my ideas are having some pretty serious flaws so far.
I actually think glyph of Thorian is fine for tournament play as long as it's not a random glyph. If everyone knows the map pool and know they will be facing maps with the glyph of Thorian on the board, then I think it's fair game.

I've often wondering how much different glyphs would be perceived if you only got their benefit if you started your turn on them. (I used to house rule this the first 2 or 3 years I played)
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Oh, I like that kd!

We never used glyphs at all and my group's lack of experience has certainly shown in tournament play.

I would just drop the traps for the Treasure Glyphs for home play and put them all out there! 'It's Mine!'.
Old December 6th, 2017, 01:58 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post

I actually think glyph of Thorian is fine for tournament play as long as it's not a random glyph. If everyone knows the map pool and know they will be facing maps with the glyph of Thorian on the board, then I think it's fair game.
I didn't mention it, but the way that I was trying to get it used more was to put it on the bottom floor of a map with castles. The problem that I'm having right now is spacing everything properly so that flying can't reach it in a single turn.

I certainly agree that maps need to be designed around it, though. It's far too powerful to just be thrown into a random glyph pool with the more generic ones, especially if an army lacks a Special Attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post

I've often wondering how much different glyphs would be perceived if you only got their benefit if you started your turn on them. (I used to house rule this the first 2 or 3 years I played)
I actually like this idea a lot! It would make mapmaking considerably easier and decrease the importance of the first initiative roll a bit. I wish that these were the official rules, although I can't complain whenever taking out a figure on a Glyph of Gerda knocks the defense of everyone else down by one. I'll have to try this sometime!
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:16 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Play with:
Common attack
initiative
unique attack
defense +1
lucky 20 sider
move +2
Range(changed to +1)
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoserver View Post

Range(changed to +1)
You'd probably be interested in the C3V Glyph of Lorja Ivor, which does exactly that. It's admittedly just a weaker version of Ivor, but still worth a look.
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:19 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoserver View Post

Range(changed to +1)
You'd probably be interested in the C3V Glyph of Lorja Ivor, which does exactly that. It's admittedly just a weaker version of Ivor, but still worth a look.
Yeah, we actually based it off that since we recognized how overpowered the +4 was especially since on our multiplayer maps its even more broken, we just never changed the glyph itself. I've been meaning to though.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion