Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old February 27th, 2023, 12:48 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Helpers needed @ Gen Con 2023 - Free Badges, Hotel, Games

I know with ScapeCon and HexiCon and others, there will be no Heroscape at GenCon 2023 (Aug 2-6 2023), but for those that would still like to go for other games and the exhibit hall, there is a way to go for free!

Double Exposure Envoy Heralds are the largest group that runs demoing games at conventions and game stores and does for over 40 game publishers. This year they will try to have over 200 helpers at Gen Con to demo games, mostly as free ticketed events in the event hall but also at publisher booths and all of the First Exposure playtest/crowdfunding hall.

The opportunities are as follows
  • Exhibit Booth Helper (10AM - 6PM Thu-Sat, 10AM - 4PM Sun, with 90 minutes of breaks per day)\\
  • Early Demo Shift (10AM - 4PM Thu-Sat, 10AM - 12PM Sun)
  • Late Demo Shift (4PM - 10PM Thu-Sat, 12PM - 2PM Sun)

Helpers get a free four-day badge (worth $135), a four-night (Wed-Sun) hotel room share at an adjacent hotel with up to 3 other helpers (worth $350), free games and a shirt from the publisher you help (worth $100-250), as well as game "raffle" on the last day that usually gets 3-5 more games (you put your top preferences but are not guaranteed, but usually $100-250 value depending on games). If you bring a full carload of helpers there is also reimbursement for travel up to $200/vehicle. So $685-1035 value (this $ is paid by publishers) for 20-24 hours (still plenty of time to do other stuff) is $30-50 an hour but the experience is priceless.

If you are interested in helping at Gen Con 2023, please fill out the following form (if in a group please fill out an individual survey for EACH person). If you already bought tickets and/or have hotel, you can help part-time a few shifts to get free games.

https://forms.gle/aBtwPrRxArsr3DdN6

While you are at it if you can attend and help at Origins 2023 (June 21-25 in Columbus, Ohio) for pretty much the same deal, fill out this form:

https://forms.gle/APnqeGhwmmxmhuF28

While they are going to be collecting survey responses starting now, please note that they will NOT be contacting anyone until March 14th at the earliest.

I have helped at Gen Con every time I have been in the last 8 years (missed attending a year or two) as well as helped at Origins and Pax Unplugged. I actually enjoy doing it as it I am the personally that loves teaching games and doesn’t mind trying to sell a game I like, so it doesn’t even feel like work for me.

Pros and cons for me is that I have:
  • Time and a badge that allows before con starts to go to booths to buy games I want before anyone has the chance
  • Still plenty of time to roam the booths freely, and time at the last hour on Sunday to haggle and get great deals
  • 4-8 hours a day (depending on how much sleep you want) to play plenty of open Boardgaming or just hangout with gamers.
  • The only bad part is if there is are tournaments or events you want to attend, they either have to all be in morning if you take an evening demo shift, or in evening if you take a morning demo or booth shift.
  • Unless you have a very specific game tournament you will miss, this is a great deal for me and I wouldn’t attend con’s any other way.
  • As far as helping with Double Exposure specifically (I have also helped direct with publishers) they run it very professionally in spite of usually organizing chaos as people usually don’t show up and other hitches throughout the con, but they treat you well and have plenty of time before con to send you games you will be demoing and teach you to teach the game to others

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con