Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: 520 Point Competitive Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
200 Cutters x 4
170 Moltenclaw
150 Brutes x 2
520, 21 spaces
That's actually 23 spaces, not 21. Anyway, sure, this is nice. Moltenclaw is great on certain maps (lava perches are nice), can be a good leadout against a packed startzone, and can be strong in cleanup, too.

Stepping back for a minute, I'd ask: what are you afraid of facing with 16 cutters and 6 HSBs (or 12 and 9)? Given that rats and most special attackers are off the table, it's not a very long list. I think the build does quite well against Romans/Greeks. Wyrmlings (particularly white wyrmlings) are a concern but you will have the numbers advantage. Zombies, Charos, Venocs, and Ashra all come to mind for me as problem figures (although Charos might just be a personal scar, as my only cutter/brute tournament game involved lots and lots of counterstrike).

So the question for me would be, what (B+ or lower) option is going to help the most against those opponents, given 170 points and 2 spaces to work with? Range is good against all of them (less so with the Venocs), and special attacks are good against Charos and Ashra. Moltenclaw does seem to fit the bill against Ashra, but I'm not sure I like him against the others. I could honestly get talked into DW8k here, but I know that's not an option for you. I think the case for Eltahale+Eldgrim is pretty good. Sharwin Wildborn + Zetacron (drop a cutter) doesn't seem like a crazy choice. Finally, you could basically punt on the matchup question by playing Raelin (SotM) and a 50 point filler (or Eldgrim + Marcu - a cutter). (I suppose Raelin is nice against an opposing DW8k, too.)

Quote:
Very PG (Power Gamer). Also in that Auggies order I took a Wyvern. What do you think of this?

150 Mimring
150 Wyrmlings x 5 (Black and/or Red)
100 Wyvern
80 Thorgrim
40 Theracus
520, 12 spaces
I don't really see the focus of this build. I get that it's a Thorgrim bomb, and that that bomb can theoretically block for the wyrmlings or Mimring, but given the lack of a bonding option or a backup blocker, I see the 5 wyrmlings and Mimring getting taken out quickly by any reasonably strong squad-based army. I also don't particularly like either the Wyvern or Mimring as a place for Thorgrim's spirit.

ETA: by the way, have you considered...

10 Otonashi
120 Raelin SotM
130 Hatamoto Taro (?!)
260 Tagawa Samurai Archers x4
520, 15 spaces

I'm not saying it would win the tournament, but man, it would be cool to see that winning some games. And that's a nightmare ranged pod for any all-melee, all-normal attack army.

Last edited by dok; July 27th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
200 Cutters x 4
170 Moltenclaw
150 Brutes x 2
520, 21 spaces
That's actually 23 spaces, not 21.

Fixed.

Anyway, sure, this is nice. Moltenclaw is great on certain maps (lava perches are nice), can be a good leadout against a packed startzone, and can be strong in cleanup, too.

Stepping back for a minute, I'd ask: what are you afraid of facing with 16 cutters and 6 HSBs (or 12 and 9)?

Boredom.

Given that rats and most special attackers are off the table, it's not a very long list. I think the build does quite well against Romans/Greeks. Wyrmlings (particularly white wyrmlings) are a concern but you will have the numbers advantage. Zombies, Charos, Venocs, and Ashra all come to mind for me as problem figures (although Charos might just be a personal scar, as my only cutter/brute tournament game involved lots and lots of counterstrike).

So the question for me would be, what (B+ or lower) option is going to help the most against those opponents, given 170 points and 2 spaces to work with? Range is good against all of them (less so with the Venocs), and special attacks are good against Charos and Ashra. Moltenclaw does seem to fit the bill against Ashra, but I'm not sure I like him against the others. I could honestly get talked into DW8k here, but I know that's not an option for you. I think the case for Eltahale+Eldgrim is pretty good. Sharwin Wildborn + Zetacron (drop a cutter) doesn't seem like a crazy choice. Finally, you could basically punt on the matchup question by playing Raelin (SotM) and a 50 point filler (or Eldgrim + Marcu - a cutter). (I suppose Raelin is nice against an opposing DW8k, too.)

Quote:
Very PG (Power Gamer). Also in that Auggies order I took a Wyvern. What do you think of this?

150 Mimring
150 Wyrmlings x 5 (Black and/or Red)
100 Wyvern
80 Thorgrim
40 Theracus
520, 12 spaces
I don't really see the focus of this build.

They will take whatever height there is. They all fly.

I get that it's a Thorgrim bomb, and that that bomb can theoretically block for the wyrmlings or Mimring, but given the lack of a bonding option or a backup blocker,

I could take the Warhulk for Mimring . . .

I see the 5 wyrmlings and Mimring getting taken out quickly by any reasonably strong squad-based army. I also don't particularly like either the Wyvern or Mimring as a place for Thorgrim's spirit.

. . . as he is a great place for Thorgrim's Spirit (as discussed in the recent Juggernaut Strategy thread).

ETA: by the way, have you considered...

10 Otonashi
120 Raelin SotM
130 Hatamoto Taro (?!)
260 Tagawa Samurai Archers x4
520, 15 spaces

I'm not saying it would win the tournament, but man, it would be cool to see that winning some games. And that's a nightmare ranged pod for any all-melee, all-normal attack army.
Well met!

I passed on buying 2 more squads of TSA, in spite of the various odd requests to field 4 squads of them - they're just too expensive. I'm that you would suggest this because it's , but refuse to accept that ness is an acceptable reason for so many of my army choices.
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:15 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

It's more that I refuse to accept that most of your army choices are cool.
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I passed on buying 2 more squads of TSA, in spite of the various odd requests to field 4 squads of them - they're just too expensive.
I can lend you some if you want them for Beast of the East.
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp12 View Post
Quote:
I passed on buying 2 more squads of TSA, in spite of the various odd requests to field 4 squads of them - they're just too expensive.
I can lend you some if you want them for Beast of the East.
Thanks, but I fear I won't be likely to attend (unless Taeblewalker is driving, and even then . . .). Anyways, I like to create my own armies, even if dok thinks they're either uncompetitive or un.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:28 AM

panheadman1995 is surprisingly tart

Greenscales x3 180
Nilfheim 365
Raelin 445
Marro Warriors 495
Marcu 515

17 hexes
Old August 30th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

How is this?
Khosumet=75
AWx4=400
Krug=520

An all relentless army!
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:11 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The Idaho NHSD tournament is running 520 point armies this year, so I thought I would necro this thread. SoV and HoSS figures are allowed in addition to normal 'scape. The starting hex limit is 18.

Sir Dipius
Concan
Phantom Knights X3
Raelin (ROTV)

520 points – 13 Hexes

Su-Bak-Na
Me-Burq-Na
Tul-Nak-Ra
Havech Eradicators X2

520 Points – 11 Hexes

Su-Bak-Na
Tul-Bak-Ra
Kelda
Marro Drones X3

520 Points -- 13 Hexes

Kaemon Awa
Krug
Death Knights X3
Dumutef Guard X4

520 Points -- 17 Hexes

Van Nessing
Seleena
Werewolf Lord
Wolves of Badru X3

520 Points -- 13 Hexes

Fen Hydra
Isamu
Mezzodemon X6

520 Points – 15 Hexes

Cyprien Esewein
Sonya Esenwein
Sahuagin Raider X1
Zombies of Morindan X5

520 Points -- 18 Hexes

Major Q9
Major X17
Hoplitron X4
Deathwalker 7000

520 Points– 8 Hexes
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:52 PM

TheTravelingScaper is surprisingly tart
Smile Re: 520 Point Competitive Armies

Hmm...I'm not going to lie building an army to an uneven number(something that isn't a multiple of 100) is actually quite tricky. Here is my first attempt .
Me Burq Sa 50 -2
Marro Warriors 100-4
Cyprien 250-1
Sonya 295-1
Iskra 345-1
Retchets 395-3
1x Fire elemental 430-1
1x Stingers 490 -3
1x Nagrubs520 -3
19 hexes 18 figures,9 separate army cards.(as a bonus its all Utgar)

Missing 24 Units until I have 1 of everything. Missing stuff from waves 4,7,8,9,10,13 AA,Skahen Brown & Woo
My Tradeslist : http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51248
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:27 PM

Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker

Why are the grubs in there? You could remove the fire Elemental and grubs for another squad of Stingers.
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:42 PM

TheTravelingScaper is surprisingly tart
Talking Re: 520 Point Competitive Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnak View Post
Why are the grubs in there? You could remove the fire Elemental and grubs for another squad of Stingers.
True , but then I would wind up short 5 points. If we are talking Exactly 520 points which is what I interpreted this thread as . If there is anything less allowed within the format at the coordinators discretion(assuming your tournament allows and does not require a minimum hex or specific/exact point count), the stingers would be the way to go.

Missing 24 Units until I have 1 of everything. Missing stuff from waves 4,7,8,9,10,13 AA,Skahen Brown & Woo
My Tradeslist : http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51248

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion