Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:04 PM

Germund is surprisingly tart
Wandering Monsters

I was wondering if anyone has tried the wandering monsters idea from HS Codex #2? (I know, I'm hoplessly out of date, but my HS time is very limited.) I printed up the card for the raptors and bought some plastic dinosaurs, but my son and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I thought some advance input might be nice so I would know what to expect.

Germund

"We have arrived at an intellectual chaos."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Great trades with: Gypsy, Archiver, Just-A-Bill
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM

WreakLoosE has disabled reputation
I will do this wondering Monster thing sometime.. Depending on what type of map I use... I will use the Obsidian Guards, Dzu-Teh, Dumutef as Roaming Monsters. I will also sometimes use them as mercenaries as well. When I use the Glyphs if you can trade them to sort of buy extra help from the roaming monsters... It is fun and we like to play like this sometimes...

Don't worry, This will only hurt a little. But for you.. I will try to make it hurt worse.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
I made a scenario where there were mystical bridges that had a chance to summon Dumuteffs whenever a figure stepped on them. The Dumuteffs would attack the nearest figure (they are guardians from days when the bridge builders lived).
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreakLoosE
I will do this wondering Monster thing sometime.. Depending on what type of map I use... I will use the Obsidian Guards, Dzu-Teh, Dumutef as Roaming Monsters. I will also sometimes use them as mercenaries as well. When I use the Glyphs if you can trade them to sort of buy extra help from the roaming monsters... It is fun and we like to play like this sometimes...
I use the exact same figures. I wonder how much play the Obsidians and Dzu-Teh would get otherwise. :P

Old February 4th, 2007, 10:08 AM

The_Finder has disabled reputation
I have set up monster zones and NPC type monsters before too. If I have a map with a lava section on it, then a set a Obsidian Guards usually gets placed somewhere in that zone and will attack any figure that goes into the lava. Same thing with snow.

I read a great scenario that was like a solo adventure or a Dungeon Master type game, where the map was broken down into areas that players passed through. Each area had a set a certain creatures that would populate the zone. Some areas had creatures just for pure battle, like Krug hanging out with some Blade Gruts. Some areas had Khosumet and the Wolves hiding behind trees. The would only get placed on the board when a figure moved within 2 or 3 hexes of it. When all of the monsters in a zone were defeated, the entrance to the next zone opened up.

Roads have wandering monster rolls too. After a figure moves, you must roll the 20 sider... 1-10 nothing happens, 11-15 a weak monster is encountered, 16-20 a strong monster force is encountered. Then have 2 separate charts listing which monsters could be rolled for.

I like the wandering monster ideas for this game. Sometimes my games get stale with just rushing to the center of the board and duking it out, this mixes things up a bit.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion