Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy playing Monopoly?
Of course! 41 49.40%
It's okay. 26 31.33%
Never. 16 19.28%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Monopoly

Am I the only one here who likes Monopoly?

I think it's a classic game for a reason, and it's a lot of fun.

I often hear people say that it's a game based solely on luck, but these are usually the same people who admittedly don't like it, and don't spend time trying to understand the ins and outs of the game. To be honest, I think Heroscape is actually more swingy than Monopoly, and the better player usually wins. At it's core, it's really just a math game, so if you don't like math, I can understand that problem with it.

I also hear people say that it takes too long, but most games I play last about 2 hours or less. Are people always playing with the Free Parking= tons of money house rule? That rules variant tends to lengthen and add luck to games, and it isn't in the rulebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Sci-fi Messiah has disabled reputation
It's not the length of the game, I just don't like it. It bores me. God help me, I have no idea why. Just don't like it.
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:55 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
It's ok. Mostly because I never win.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM

that guy has disabled reputation
I hate Monopoly. Too much math and too much time. I don't even know what you mean by the free parking money thing. But I don't care, I hate that game.
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hell, I'm always up for a game of Monopoly. I've had a version of Star Wars Monopoly that has been sitting in my closet for like 3 years just waiting to be played.
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy
I don't even know what you mean by the free parking money thing.
At least where I'm from, a very common rules variant is to play where any time someone has to pay taxes or any fee that is Chance or Community Chest-based, you put the money in the center of the board instead of the bank. When someone lands on Free Parking, they win all of that money. Often, a 50 (or even 500) is placed there to start, and some people even put a new one in every time someone wins the pot.

It adds more luck and length to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising
Hell, I'm always up for a game of Monopoly. I've had a version of Star Wars Monopoly that has been sitting in my closet for like 3 years just waiting to be played.
Is it the Star Wars Episode I version? Although the movie sucks, this is by far my favorite Monopoly board ever! (For those who haven't played on this one, you place the deeds on the spaces themselves, and they fit in snugly. Whenever someone lands on one, you don't have to ask if it's already owned or search for the deed. The house/hotel replacements also stack nicely and clip in.)

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
As a kid I loved it, haven't played for ever. I do agree there is some strategy to it, but a lot is how god you are at talking others into trades - Look into my eyes, trade with me -

Kinda like risk has a lot to do with talking others not into attacking you, and/or attacking others, I say it is more showing them common sense that helps them and really helps me.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik

Is it the Star Wars Episode I version? Although the movie sucks, this is by far my favorite Monopoly board ever!
I recently bought this version for my son at a thrift store.

Quote:
Is it the Star Wars Episode I version? Although the movie sucks, this is by far my favorite Monopoly board ever! (For those who haven't played on this one, you place the deeds on the spaces themselves, and they fit in snugly. Whenever someone lands on one, you don't have to ask if it's already owned or search for the deed. The house/hotel replacements also stack nicely and clip in.)
How do you keep track of who owns which deed?
We play with the deeds already on the board and when a player buys the space, they pull the deed. Seems more sensible for me to do it this way.
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Quote:
How do you keep track of who owns which deed?
We play with the deeds already on the board and when a player buys the space, they pull the deed. Seems more sensible for me to do it this way.
The deeds have a spot on the board, but they are easily removed. When you buy a property you take it just like you normally do in Monopoly. They can also be flipped upside down to show that they've been mortgaged. It really speeds up the game, and it might be part of the reason I like Monopoly again. It sounds like we do the same thing.

There's also something to be said for turning your friends against each other and then reclaiming the galaxy as dark lord of the sith.

Quote:
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
Monopoly is a great game but I would have a hard time getting people to play. We always played with the free parking "lottery" back in the day too. Never played any other version than the original though. I do have Star Wars Risk but only played once. If I could, every night would be family boardgame night...stupid video games
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:07 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It's the Star Wars Saga Edition so I think it's all 6 movies. Here is a link to it
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15046
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:25 AM

Dreaded Gazebo has disabled reputation
Given the plethora of outstanding games out there I see no reason to ever return to Monopoly.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games