Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Eclipse's Green Lantern Customs - Update: Sinestro

So, Bats has been jabbing me in the spine for a while now about getting back into the super customs game. I figured what better way then with the characters that pulled me back into them in the first place after a decade long absence due to traumatic 90's stupidity. Johns's run on GL has turned me into a rabid fanboy for the franchise, its characters and for the first time ever, pulled me away from Marvel and deep into the DCU.

I think what's most impressed me about this run is Johns's ability to take an enormous cast of characters with identical powers and make them all unique, distinct, and completely capable of coexisting just as well as Superman can stand along side the Dark Knight. That's really my inspiration here. The actual Green Lantern powers are endless and completely impossible to fit onto a single card, so I'm not even going to try. Instead, I'm focusing on making these guys fight on the board with the same personality they seem to show in the latest run:

NOTE: All cards are a work in progress. I'm currently aiming at the 250 point range for all of these guys, but stats and points are still largely up in the air. I mostly wanted to just put something to the page so I wouldn't be tempted to let things go.

Hal Jordan

When I think of what makes Hal different from other heroes, I really see him as the kind of guy who runs in without a plan and generally wins simply because he's just too stubborn to admit he's beat. That's what I'm aiming for here at the least.

John Stewart

Of the four earthlings, John seems to be the quietest. He's centered, he's focused, and he's thorough, almost to a fault. He carefully constructs things to a flawless manner, but lacks the raw power of the more emotional lanterns. He's a perfect shot, but requires careful preparation to reach his full potential.

Guy Gardner

Guy is easy to pigeon into the hothead/loose cannon roll, but that can miss the point of the guy. He's really more the kind of guy that goes into everything at 110% which leaves him often crossing the line. Of the guys here, I'm the least happy with Guy's stats and powers currently. Scrapper is fine; Guy's the one who's going to just dive in and brawl, but I'm not sold on Power Surge. I want an attack that lets him go overboard despite the personal risk, but I don't think I've got this one all worked out yet.

Kyle Rayner

Of the 4, Kyle really seems to do the most with his constructs so I really wanted to represent that here. Obviously this is mostly a shell right now for all you guys can see, but for the base character I wanted him to be able to be able to do 2 actions per turn from the list of: Summon, Attack With, Personally Attack; with the option to attack with a summon twice. I think I pulled that off with the wording.

Just to explain, I'll be making at least 3 Unique Heroes of race Willpower and class Construct worth 0 points designed to be controlled by Kyle. For the first 3, I'm leaning on Wave 4 repaints of X17, Valguard, and a Tagawa, allowing him to "sketch" a robot, samurai, or warrior. The three will have a degree of their unique skills as well, but be very fragile. In any case, the idea is to have a figure who in many ways, acts as a very unique squad, relying on bonded support figures to mix things up. Depending on how strong the constructs end up, Kyle might need to be taken down a peg personally however.

Kilowog

Kilowog's easy. He hits like a truck and absorbs a lot of pain, but his most defining trait is how much stronger he makes the rookies. Obviously, such a unit is in the works, but they shouldn't be too hard to imagine in the meantime.

Sinestro

Sinestro's an interesting one. He's the master of fear, but he's not terrifying in a monstrous horror sort of way. He has a sense of superiority about him that causes him to drift through the battlefield only interested in those worth his time, making him scary, more in that "he's coming to kill you and there's nothing you can do about it" sort of way you see in thrillers. Once close, he seeds doubt and fear, weakening his opponent before turning them into yellow pin cushions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So, there we go. That's certainly the big 5 of the GLC. I've got a list of other characters I'd like to do soon; particularly the primaries of the other colors (Atrocious, Larfleeze, Sinestro, Saint Walker, Indigo-1, Carrol Ferris) but this is mostly a start. As much as I want to, I'm keeping out of brainstorming Black Lantern ideas until the series ends and I can get an idea how best to do them in a less immediate fashion, but they're certainly on the radar. Obviously the constructs and Rookies have to be first on the list, but squads for the other Corps are a must as well.

Anyway, let me know what you think. These guys are all really rough drafts at this point, so I'm really open to feedback. Enjoy!

Last edited by Eclipse; November 22nd, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Eclipse's Green Lantern Customs

Wow. These are some fantastic looking customs, both visually and thematically. Kudos to you, Eclipse.

Hal Jordan: Looks really good. I like the power selections. Personally, I'd probably give Unstoppable Will a little bit more. Maybe give him one immediate turn right before he gets destroyed at the end of the round? Otherwise, he main ability might be neutralized purely due to Order Marker placement.

John Stewart: I wouldn't change a thing. He looks awesome.

Guy Gardner: It seems a bit strange that he's the only person with a Special Attack. It gives Guy the ability to bypass defensive abilities that the others cannot. But maybe that was what you were looking to do. Also, when I think of a scrapper, I think of someone that is using their opponent's weak points against them regardless of ethics. A better representation of that could be:
Scrapper
When Guy Gardner attacks, he may roll one additional attack die for each wound on the defending figure's card.

Kyle Raynor: I look forward to the additional cards.

Kilowog: Looks fantastic. I love the theme being mixed into his base stats. Great job.

Again, these are just my opinions. I look forward to more cards.
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Eclipse, I love your take on the Lanterns and how to make each one unique.
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

I'm so cool! Really though, they all look pretty cool, and like Cav said their uniqueness shows.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Awesome! Welcome back to the superhero custom realm, Eclipse!
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Thoughts:
Hal Jordan: I like his card overall, but it seems like there is something missing to make it more exciting. I really don't know what, though...maybe allowing him one more attack before dying at the end of a round?

John Stewart: Very nice, indeed! I'm not sure about the name of the Architectual Integrity special, but I like its mechanics along with the rest.

Guy Garner: I like the risk to use the Special Attack, but is less range and only 1 more die worth the risk?

Kyle Rayner: I like the Sketch idea with the repaints. Very cool mechanic, IMHO.

Koliwog: Nice way to boost your upcoming rookies.
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

John Stewart's Flying power says "Hal Jordan"...
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

These are really great, and I'll probably be using them once you finalize. Question, and I know this is kind of lame and nitpicky- on Guy Gardener, the wording makes it seem like he can attack other figures you control. Was that the intention?

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Me likey ... but doesn't the title "Move It, Poozers" kind of make a promise to be related to the movement stat somehow?

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Very nice, Eclipse! I like that you're avoiding a Power Ring peripheral card and just trying to differentiate the Lanterns by representing their personalities and MOs. That's my eventual goal with my own Lantern customs as well.
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Good job Eclipse!! Good freakin job!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
Hal Jordan: Looks really good. I like the power selections. Personally, I'd probably give Unstoppable Will a little bit more. Maybe give him one immediate turn right before he gets destroyed at the end of the round? Otherwise, he main ability might be neutralized purely due to Order Marker placement.

Guy Gardner: It seems a bit strange that he's the only person with a Special Attack. It gives Guy the ability to bypass defensive abilities that the others cannot. But maybe that was what you were looking to do. Also, when I think of a scrapper, I think of someone that is using their opponent's weak points against them regardless of ethics. A better representation of that could be:
Scrapper
When Guy Gardner attacks, he may roll one additional attack die for each wound on the defending figure's card.
For Guy, I definitely want to give him a variation of Shaolin Assault. Most of the others focus on the big guys and fight more one on one. Guy always seems like the one that when a big horde of baddies shows up, actually dives into the pack and starts slugging it out. That's really what I'm going for.

As for his special, I'm not totally happy with it. Originally I had a D20 based damage buff, but I wasn't completely happy with how it worked with Scrapper. The idea is to give him a heavy hit that can be self damaging, but I'm not totally sold on what I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Thoughts:
Hal Jordan: I like his card overall, but it seems like there is something missing to make it more exciting. I really don't know what, though...maybe allowing him one more attack before dying at the end of a round?

John Stewart: Very nice, indeed! I'm not sure about the name of the Architectual Integrity special, but I like its mechanics along with the rest.

Guy Garner: I like the risk to use the Special Attack, but is less range and only 1 more die worth the risk?
Guy: It's actually 2-3 more die (depending on height) but not something I'm sold on. More and more I'm leaning back towards the D20 rule. 17 or higher is +5 (8 dice total) but inflicts a wound while lower rolls provide a less extreme bonus. Make the roll per attack so it gets pretty risky with Scrapper.

John: Stewart actually is an architect, which is where the name comes from. Johns likes to describe his constructs as never hollow and always completely constructed to the smallest details, which is what I'm getting at.

Hal: Interesting to see two mentions of the "one more shot" idea. I'm not sure at which point that power goes from good to broken. If he dies in round one he can do things like disengage from 8 KoW if he wants. I'd considered letting him just stick around until the end of his next turn (limiting the max usage to one extra turn) but I can think of way more ways to abuse it that way. I don't want a lot of his points to get eaten up in the power, so I'm a little hesitant to give him 4 turns in his last round, but I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl View Post
John Stewart's Flying power says "Hal Jordan"...
That's actually really, really funny to me, because at one point everyone else's Flying power said "John Stewart"

EDIT: This should be fixed now. You might have to force a refresh of the image to see it, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwing17 View Post
These are really great, and I'll probably be using them once you finalize. Question, and I know this is kind of lame and nitpicky- on Guy Gardener, the wording makes it seem like he can attack other figures you control. Was that the intention?
I don't see why not? Every other figure is perfectly capable of attacking other figures you control. I assure you the wording on Scrapper is fine. It'd better be considering I ripped it off word for word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Me likey ... but doesn't the title "Move It, Poozers" kind of make a promise to be related to the movement stat somehow?
Yes, I may do just that. I certainly considered it, but I was feeling a little too "and" happy at that point and left it out. It's one of those things that will heavily depend on how the GLC works out once I get them finished. Do I price them under the assumption that they will have Kilowog's boost or do I price them as is and dump the points in the big guy? Do I make Kilowog's power turn them from good into awesome or do I use it to bring them up to par? I don't want them to require Kilowog to be useful (that would undermine large scale "War of Light" options) but I don't want him overpowering them either. The more I put in the power the harder that question gets.

Likely what I'm going to do is extend the aura a bit, keep them shorter ranged, but leave out bonding. That way his bonus can be more of just that, rather than a perpetual state of the unit.

Glad everyone likes them so far. All the feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by Eclipse; November 19th, 2009 at 01:19 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations