Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 14th, 2018, 11:25 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

I would love to see y'all tackle a game like Star Wars X-Wing or Battleship Galaxies. I'm really disappointed that the latter never got any expansions. I love the double-blind maneuver system of the former, but wish it was hex based. I think y'all could do some great stuff in that space.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I'm really disappointed that [Battleship Galaxies] never got any expansions.
Me too. There was that one Director character that I was so looking forward to having...

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:00 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I love the double-blind maneuver system of the former, but wish it was hex based.
Totally agree. Once you make me get out ruler to make my moves, I'm out.
Old January 26th, 2018, 07:44 PM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!

My Question: What made Heroscape great?

My thoughts about Heroscape being great would be "X" amount because it has "Limitless Potential"
Old March 22nd, 2018, 02:30 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper 101 View Post
My Question: What made Heroscape great?

My thoughts about Heroscape being great would be "X" amount because it has "Limitless Potential"
I believe you are correct. IMO, the fact that Heroscape tapped into everyone's creativity made Heroscape great. It's a system to create around, and the terrain really set it apart from any other miniature game system.
Old May 19th, 2018, 02:29 AM

UberQ9 knows what's in an order marker UberQ9 knows what's in an order marker

I don't know if you're ever coming back to answer more questions, but here goes:

Looking back, is there anything with Heroscape and its design that you would have done differently, or that you would do differently if you somehow magically were able to make a "Heroscape 2nd edition?"
Old May 27th, 2018, 04:36 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Ooh, I really like this question. I have my own ideas but would love to hear from The Man Himself.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 6th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberQ9 View Post
I don't know if you're ever coming back to answer more questions, but here goes:

Looking back, is there anything with Heroscape and its design that you would have done differently, or that you would do differently if you somehow magically were able to make a "Heroscape 2nd edition?"
Good question UberQ9.

I think the design is pretty elegant. In most cases, we tried to make rules that made sense, and if we designed something that didn't quite make sense or was too fussy, we waited until it was ready.

The one thing I wish we created- is a terrain line just for hobby. Terrain gives Heroscape an epic appearance and really lets people be creative.
Old June 6th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Any idea what that may have looked like?

I would have loved to see a larger version of the ruined warehouse from the Marvel set.
Old June 7th, 2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberQ9 View Post

Good question UberQ9.

I think the design is pretty elegant. In most cases, we tried to make rules that made sense, and if we designed something that didn't quite make sense or was too fussy, we waited until it was ready.

The one thing I wish we created- is a terrain line just for hobby. Terrain gives Heroscape an epic appearance and really lets people be creative.
I agree that the rules are very well-designed. My primary gripes with the game are more with the design of specific units rather than the system itself. As a kind of follow-up question, are there any specific units that you think could have been designed better? The general consensus in the community seems to be that the Deathreavers are too strong or too cheap points-wise, and that Deathwalker 7000 and Hatamoto Taro are both very hard to make useful, but I'd like to see your take.
Old June 7th, 2018, 05:06 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Whatever you do, do not bring up "Taelord costs too much" to @Craig Van Ness -
That comment predates Heroscapers.com

BTW, anyone newer than 2007 on these forums should check out the old ScapeTalk podcast with Craig - he explains a lot of his designs highs and lows, in Heroscape as well as previous work (not to mention him being asked multiple times why Taelord costs too much).

Last edited by lefton4ya; June 7th, 2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Taelord costs too much!
Old June 9th, 2018, 07:00 PM

I must confess I was in the "Taelord costs too much" camp for a while. I haven't used him with early classic only, but I have used him alongside the death knights (with whom he bonds) and I think he's probably worth his points.

DW7K and Hamtaro, on the other hand...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion