Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Jim Butcher - Amazing Author - Dresden Files, Codex Alera

Nether already knows this one - Jim Butcher writes the Dresden Files series of novels. On his advice, I just finished reading Storm Front, the first Dresden book, and it was excellent. While I was picking up that book, I also got Furies of Calderon and Academ's Fury, and discovered that Butcher can write fantasy like a house on fire.

If you like grown-up fantasy, the Alera series (those Fury books) are really entertaining. Butcher writes so well that you find yourself really empathetic with his characters, and sitting up until 4 AM just to find out what happened to one particular character. He's no GRR Martin - and for that, you may be thankful. Martin's books are not for the faint of heart, and while Butcher's books are most assuredly not for kids, they won't make you sick to your stomach when a central character gets killed. You never entirely trust Butcher - he has enough characters, he could kill one or two - but you never feel like this doom hangs over your favorites, just waiting to grant them the most grotesque death you can imagine.

If you like pulp detective books, particularly of the noir flavor, the Dresden Files will grab you and won't let go. They're a great read, combining elements of classic Mickey Spillane detective novels with the fantastic, in a way that makes complete sense.

It has been a long time since I found an author I enjoyed as much as Jim Butcher. I'm just sorry I didn't try him out earlier.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM

skullsgood has disabled reputation
Quite agree with your appraisal of the Dresden files - highly entertaining.

I was not aware that Mr Butcher also dabbled with fantasy, too, and I'll be keeping an eye out for those.

Personally, I have no aversion to an author bumping off a beloved character, provided it enhances the overall story - such a demise can give the whole tale a little more impact, provided the victim stays dead.

Few things irritate me more in the comic world than to have a character die in a transparent attempt to boost sales, then have him/her resurrected in a ridiculous manner several months later. Green Arrow, you know who you are.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:42 AM

Maska is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
and dont forget... the Dresden Files are coming to SciFi...

"The Crystal Wind is the Storm, the Storm is Data, the Data is Life." - The Players Litany
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM

Is that a TV show?

I know that there's an RPG in the pipeline, but I wasn't aware of any live action projects.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Glad to see someone else is hooked on the Dresden Files. I have yet to read the Alera books, the girlfriend keeps telling me too I just haven't gotten around to it yet. She says that Jim Butcher is the first author with multiple series where she likes all of them.

As Maska said there is going to be a Dresden Files TV show on Sci-Fi. It starts Sunday Jan 21st at 9pm and will be paired with Battlestar Galactica!

It was originally just supposed to be a 2 hour movie based on the first book, but Sci-Fi liked it so much they decided to pick it up for 13 (I think) episodes. http://www.scifi.com/dresden/index.html

The next Dresden book (#9, White Night) comes out in April. Look at this AWESOME COVER! I can't wait for this one...

The 3rd Alera book (Cursor's Fury) came out Dec. 1st in hardcover.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Thanks to netherspirit's consistent name dropping , and the coming series to scifi (my wife's favorite channel), I got her the first Dresden Files book, Storm Front, for Christmas.

She's still picking at it (about halfway through), but I read it in one day. Very quick read for me - Imax's two sentence summary of the series being a spot on description of what I liked about the book. I don't see me re-reading these, but already picked up book 2...

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'll have to keep an eye out for Cursor's Fury. I only just read Storm Front, so I have some reading to do before I'm ready for book 9.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
I'll have to keep an eye out for Cursor's Fury. I only just read Storm Front, so I have some reading to do before I'm ready for book 9.
Plenty of time between now and April. I am working on re-reading the series between now and then.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thanks for the info on his fantasy books, IMax. I saw them in the store and figured that if the Dresden stuff rocks the fantasy should be good too. Now they are on the list to pick up and read. The Dresden Files are fantastic and keep you on the edge. NS gets props for steering me toward them a while ago.

Newb.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:32 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
I may have to try reading some of Butcher's books as soon as I finish reading a few Cussler novels and get out of middle school.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:20 AM

If SciFi are pairing it with Battlestar, then it must be very good indeed, because that's one tough act to follow.

Kudos for all the supplementary information - I'll have to order the first Alera book and give it a gander.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Just finished the second Dresden Files book, Fool's Moon, and I don't know if this is the consensus opinion, but though I enjoyed the first, I liked this one all the more. Much more convoluted plot, plus the book opened up a lot of ongoing questions presumably to be answered in the following books. A cheap ploy, perhaps, but an engaging one none-the-less

Off to pick up #3...

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books