Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 30th, 2014, 01:19 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
I have to agree; I'd rather this worm wasn't a Demon. Just make up a race for it and let it be a monster.
That's okay by me. Demon felt the best thing for me to pick right off the bat given what it's based on.
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Dysole pointed out that the precedent of TKN's trample stomp implies that "were the figure not there" is not needed in the Devour language. So...
STEALTH UNDERGROUND MOVEMENT
Instead of moving normally with Ashi-Dhulu, you may immediately place him on any empty non-water space that is within 4 spaces of Ashi-Dhulu and is no higher than 1 level above Ashi-Dhulu's height or 3 levels below Ashi-Dhulu's base. If Ashi-Dhulu is engaged when he starts his Underground Movement, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

DEVOUR
Instead of moving and attacking normally with Ashi-Dhulu, you may choose a small or medium Common figure on a space where Ashi-Dhulu could end Stealth Underground Movement. Destroy the chosen figure and immediately place Ashi-Dhulu on that space using Stealth Underground Movement.
I think that works pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Clerics in D&D are not adept at fighting.

Online Heroscape!
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:54 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I've already set to fix that, dok, but thanks.
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM
2-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Is that how others also feel? Or that most are just against using the jandar dice for these figures ? And if the defensive ability was redone it could be justified?
Like I said, the package as a whole doesn't feel especially focused, but I'm not too bothered by it. Sometimes a unit just needs a bit of a boost.
I've posted some additional brainstorm options in my thread, would appreciate opinions on possible ideas.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:53 PM

Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Another cook in the kitchen because the Heroscapese on Devour doesn't quite feel right:

Devour
Before using the Stealth Underground Movement power, you may destroy a small or medium common figure on a space where Ashi-Dhulu could end its movement. Ashi-Dhulu must then move to the space the figure occupied using Stealth Underground Movement, if able.

Improved Cyberclaw prevents movement altogether so I think this sidesteps the most obvious distant destruction theme-break. Just an idea to integrate the two powers a little more seamlessly.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:05 PM

You bring up a good point about Improved Cyberclaw, though I'm not sure if the current version covers it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Another cook in the kitchen because the Heroscapese on Devour doesn't quite feel right:

Devour
Before using the Stealth Underground Movement power, you may destroy a small or medium common figure on a space where Ashi-Dhulu could end its movement. Ashi-Dhulu must then move to the space the figure occupied using Stealth Underground Movement, if able.

Improved Cyberclaw prevents movement altogether so I think this sidesteps the most obvious distant destruction theme-break. Just an idea to integrate the two powers a little more seamlessly.
Here's the current version, though the species is being changed to Ashi-Tan:

Old January 31st, 2014, 04:04 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Instead of moving normally with Ashi-Dhulu, you may immediately place him on any empty non-water space that is within 4 spaces of Ashi-Dhulu and is no higher than 1 level above Ashi-Dhulu's height or 3 levels below Ashi-Dhulu's base. If Ashi-Dhulu is engaged when he starts his Underground Movement, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

DEVOUR
Instead of moving and attacking normally with Ashi-Dhulu, you may choose a small or medium Common figure on a space where Ashi-Dhulu could end Stealth Underground Movement. Destroy the chosen figure and immediately place Ashi-Dhulu on that space using Stealth Underground Movement.
I don't like the current DEVOUR wording. I don't like the "where Ashi-Dhulu could end Stealth Underground Movement if he was to use it but wait this power is instead of moving so in fact he will not use Stealth Underground Movement but, eh, just imagine, if he was to use it, he could end there"
I find this wording worse than the Kozuke Samurai Charging Assault power.

Contrary to dok, I feel that bootstraping on the Underground Movement power is worse than reapeating nearly the same wording in two powers (at least if your goal is to submit your card to SoV). I agree that repeating the same wording feel strange, but bootstraping on another power, and using wording as "where you could end if you were to use this other power" feels really... "customy" and not official to me.

I don't really find elegant solutions to this problem.

Some ideas :

Quote:

DEVOUR
if Ashi-Dhulu used Stealth Underground Movement this turn, instead of attacking, you may choose a small or medium figure adjacent to Ashi-Dhulu and destroy it. If you do it, place Ashi-Dhulu on the space that figure occupied. Ashi-Dhulu does not take any leaving engagement attacks when using the Devour power.
It allow him to move one space more, and more heigth (but it would require very special map configuration, so I suppose it is ok), but it is simple. When I read this power, I picture Ashi Dhulu not appearing right under the devored figure, but just next, "jumping" (sorry, don't find a more appropriate word. I don't picture him to be fully out of the earth) out of the earth, opening his mouth and falling back on the poor figure to devour it.

Another idea, regrouping the powers :
Quote:
DEVOURING UNDERGROUND MOVEMENT
Instead of moving and attacking normally with Ashi-Dhulu, you may choose a non-water space that is within 4 spaces of Ashi-Dhulu and is no higher than 1 level above Ashi-Dhulu's height or 3 levels below Ashi-Dhulu's base. If a small or medium figure is on this space, destroy it.
If Ashi-Dhulu can then be placed on this space, immediatly place him on. If not, destroy Ashi-Dhulu. Ashi-Dhulu doesn't take leaving engagement attacks when moved by the Devour power.
The "If not, destroy Ashi-Dhulu" prevent you to choose a space where Ashi-Dhulu could not fit, or a space where there is a figure that he could not devour. The idea is from the card of Kursus.
With this version, he can go on a glyph. However, apart from that, I think it do what you want it to do, and with only one power.

I like how it can be used to destroy Ashi Dhulu if he is Enslaved by a mind flayer. In fact, a more flavorfull power could be :
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Lyrgard; January 31st, 2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:45 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Devour isn't getting any simpler, and Improved Cyberclaw (mentioned elsewhere) isn't making things any simpler.

At this point I'm going to suggest losing some theme for simplicity. While it's thematic that he pops up underneath the thing he devours, it's not necessary. Simply give him Underground Movement (or a Stealth version) and Chomp (or a nerfed version). Popping up next to something and eating it isn't as cool, but it's much less tricky to word.
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Devour isn't getting any simpler, and Improved Cyberclaw (mentioned elsewhere) isn't making things any simpler.

At this point I'm going to suggest losing some theme for simplicity. While it's thematic that he pops up underneath the thing he devours, it's not necessary. Simply give him Underground Movement (or a Stealth version) and Chomp (or a nerfed version). Popping up next to something and eating it isn't as cool, but it's much less tricky to word.
Well, it does extend the Threat Range of Devour, so I'll do it. Improved Cyberclaw does do it in, as Sir Dendrick pointed out.

Well, making that change makes the power simpler: Testing of the old version shows he still has trouble against squads and heroes, so I've made it to where he can attack too:

DEVOUR
Before attacking, choose one small or medium Common figure adjacent to Ashi-Dhulu and destroy it.

Last edited by MegaSilver; January 31st, 2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:01 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

You guys are making a rule issue where there is none.

Quote:
DEVOUR
Emphasis added.

If you are next to X17, you can't move there. If you can't end movement there, you can't choose the figure.

Improved Cyberclaw is a non-issue.

The language here flows pretty naturally from Trample Stomp. Nobody claims that TKN can stomp a figure on a single-space perch. This is no different. (The reason he can't end movement there is different, but it doesn't matter - the condition is not met so the power cannot be used.)

Quote:

Online Heroscape!
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
You guys are making a rule issue where there is none.

Quote:
DEVOUR
Emphasis added.

If you are next to X17, you can't move there. If you can't end movement there, you can't choose the figure.

Improved Cyberclaw is a non-issue.
Okay... That makes sense too.

Now what?
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:13 PM

Playtesting and price balancing are the main things at this point, I guess.

I'll also say, contrary to Scytale, that I liked him as a Demon. I don't think it's hard to justify, looking at the figure, and I generally prefer re-using classes/species/personalities when there's an appropriate choice. But just make sure whatever you choose is consistent with your vision for the figure.

Quote:

Online Heroscape!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards