Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Fury of Dracula: Is this game any good?

As I continue to build up my small library of anti-mass market games that appeal to non-gamers, I came across this title from Fantasy Flight Games (yes, I know it's a remake of an old GW game).

I've been checking out reviews, and the game is often praised both in presentation of game pieces (the pictures of the bits look great!), and thematic gameplay.

But has anyone here actually played it? And if so, did you enjoy it? I'd like to know your thoughts.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Yes, I've played it.

And was wholly let down by it.

I am a big fan of both:
a) vampire themed games
b) the hidden-thief mechanic in boardgames (Scotland Yard and Clue Museum Capers)

We should have loved this game.
But it was SO overwhelmingly to Dracula's advantage that it hardly felt like a game - it was more an exercise in futility.
I am still flabbergasted that BGG has people saying that it is HARD for Dracula to win?

If they're playing the same game we did, Dracula had all the cards (literally) and most of the mechanics gave him an advantage - heck, if one person could catch up to him (which is not easy), then he has multiple cards that protect him, then if he can past the minions to battle Dracula, he has tons of health and cards that help him in battle, then if he somehow doesn;t kill the character, he can run away no matter what the players has or does (at night).

The only way to win is a stocked character to catch up to Drac DURING THE DAY and roll well.
Problem is - the players can't dictate what time they catch up to Drac, but the Drac player can.

It seemed fundamentally flawed to me. But keep in mind - that's because I've played better-balanced games that use the same mechanic. And those play much shorter, too.

Beautiful game though (the reprint) - I wish there was a more balanced game underneath all that theme and art.
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper
But keep in mind - that's because I've played better-balanced games that use the same mechanic. And those play much shorter, too.
Thanks for your insights. I was curious about these other games you mentioned. I was a fan of Scotland Yard back in the day, and enjoyed the game for what it was. When I saw Fury of Dracula, it really appealed to me because it looked like a much more advanced version of SY, and, as mentioned, the artistry of the elements look great.
Old September 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM
has been BANNED

Really, Scotland Yard is superior in gameplay balance and mechanics than Fury of Dracula.

Fury screws it up with so many fiddly things that get in the way of the balanced thief/detective mechanic that works so well in SY.

The advanced aspects it adds just get in the way of the base game, and make it too easy for Dracula to avoid the "detectives". Weapons, events, minions, and encounters that can benefit Dracula if not taken ouot by the detectives all favor Dracula, since he can use all his arsenal on the one detective he encounters, but by definition the detectives can't use their whole arsenal on him since it's tough for even one detctive to catcvh him - there are simply too many places for him to travel while hidden.

Oh - you'll be surprised to learn that Dracula NEVER has to reveal himself.
Unlike SY, where Mr. X has to pop up every 3 turns, and it;s still tough to catch him and narrow down the possible escape routes, in Fury, Dracula stays hidden unless the players suss out his trail by expending turns and precious cards.

Fury is simply too titled in Dracula's favor, and it takes too long for what it is.

Museum Capers is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1484
MUCH better implementation of the thief mechanic, if your preference is for fast, balanced gameplay.
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I love Museum Capers......whether you love or hate Clue, check it out. It only has the Clue name on there to help sell copies....the mechanics have nothing to do with Clue.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Resident Artist

I will take a look at the BBG.com page for Museum Capers. Thank you both for the recommendation.

I'm also going to see if I can find a copy of Scotland Yard on eBay at decent price. I know there was a reprint of the game a few years back, so hopefully I can find one in near mint condition.

I'm still considering Fury of Dracula, but have decided to hold off on that for a while. It would be nice to actually play it myself. But until that opportunity presents itself, I'll hold off... for now.

Thanks again for the replies. Very helpful.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:00 AM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
I haven't played Fury of Dracula (I have the GW version) in years, but I have to say that my memory of it is that it was dull...

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old September 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Ah, another "classic" GW game from the Dark Days Of Plaigiarism.

Play Scotland Yard instead - same "hunt for hidden quarry" atmosphere, but playable in 40 minutes.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
Play Scotland Yard instead - same "hunt for hidden quarry" atmosphere, but playable in 40 minutes.
And Clue Museum Capers is the same hidden quarry mechanism, and you can play 3 or 4 rounds where each person gets a chance to be the thief, in 40 minutes.
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Chameleon has disabled reputation
I have the original version of this game. This game is a classic!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games