Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old May 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
4 Player Battle Royale

So my friends and I decided to play Heroscape after a long time of playing Last Night on Earth. happyjosiah built a nice huge map filled with road, bridges, trees, a river, and a good amount of height. We then chose 2 cards at random for each person and that was the start of our armies:
happyjosiah: deathreavers, blade gruts
me: Khosumet (who I always seem to get in these situations), Sonya Esenwein
Katie: Kaemon Awa, Airborne Elite
Mike: Sir Denrick, Theracus

After we got our random cards we took turns filling out our army up to 400 pts., building on what we already had. I decided 400 pts wasn't enough to fit a good amount of anubian wolves while getting the obligatory Cyprien for Sonya so I opted to get the whole Vampire family. My army ended up having a ridiculous amount of cards: Cyprien, Sonya, Iskra, Rechets, Marcu, Isamu, and Khosumet.
happyjosiah finished out with: blade gruts, Grimnak, deathreavers, Guilty Mccreech, Drake (SotM)
Mike with Sir Denrick, knights of weston, Theracus, Major Q9
Katie with Kaemon Awa, Airborne Elite, Johnny Shotgun, James Murphy, and a Dumutef Guard

Initiative was rolled and the game was on.

1Mmirg named this battle report after something I say near the bottom of the post, I like the title of the battle report as that so here it is:
"The Tale of Marcu and the Rat"

I sent out Iskra in hopes of getting the Rechets out to kill some of those heroes that were infesting the table. Happyjosiah spent his time moving Drake about and telling everyone that they needed to kill the Rechets. Katie started moving Kaemon Awa out since her AE didn't drop and Mike started moving his entire army out. Drake ran over to get a better shot at me as the Rechets got summoned. I got two of them adjacent to Drake and one adjacent to Kaemon Awa. Unfortunately I did nothing to Drake or Kaemon Awa. Kaemon Awa proceeded to kill 2 of the Rechets, with Drake finishing off the third. Great job Rechets. Iskra jumped into the fray, got height on Kaemon Awa, and struck a mighty 3 wounds on him because of a DW roll. Right after that Kaemon Awa peppered her with shots and Drake finishing her off. Meanwhile Mike's knights were gaining ground, Theracus flew Denrick up on height, and Q9 was lumbering onto road.

Some knights got over to Drake and managed to wound him a couple of times with kaemon doing the same. Happyjosiah figured him for dead and since Q9 was coming around happyjosiah and Katie decided to form a truce for the moment as Awa and Drake were the only ones really capable of doing Q9 some harm. Happyjosiah alos started sending out Grimnak and the blade gruts to deal with Mike's knights and Denrick. I had plans for Cyprien.

Katie finally dropped the AE and of coruse got initiative. Thanks to happyjosiah's treacherous diplomacy Katie saw fit to put two of the AE near my starting zoen to reign havoc on my forces, while Katie at least listened to reason and got them on height going against Q9. Katie had some bad luck with rolling and didn't fare too well against me. The AE failed to do any hard to me but did manage to put a wound on Q9. My Cyprien flew up and started munching on the AE and took both of them out fairly quickly. Meanwhile Grimnak had started to attempt to chomp Denrick while the gruts went and tied up the knights and Q9. All the gruts fell to the Queglix attack while Grimnak failed to chomp and got hurt in return by Denrick. Kaemon Awa attempted to move over to Q9 but got stopped by some knights.

Cyprien flew to the rescue of Grimnak but was too late. The old dino/grut couldn't stand up to the 7 attack Denrick was mustering thanks to height. Cyprien got some sweet revenge however when an 18 was rolled and caused Denrick to lose the rest of his wounds. Denrick felt the chilling touch and he wasn;t goign to be the last. The AE were finished off by the knights, as was Kaemon Awa. Drake was killed off by Q9, who now managed to use the road to gain height on everyone.

Despite Q9's obvious threat to everyone happyjosiah insisted to Katie that she go pit her cowboys into my starting zone and try to destroy everyone with a shotgun. I welcomed the attack and sent my fully healthy Cyprien over to do battle (he still hadn't recieved a wound yet). Cyprien got up next to Johnny and failed miserably on his rolls, and in return got a face full of shot and lost 3 wounds. A shot from James Murphy while running away took off 2 more wounds and Cyprien all of a sudden didn't seem so cool. The knights were finished off and Guilty started weaving about trying to stay out of Q9's LOS. Q9 eventually caught up to him thanks to the road and shot Guilty down. Happyjosiah only had 2 more deathreavers left in his army. Mike had Q9 and a wounded Theracus. Katie had Johnny, a Dumutef, and James Murphy, and I had a severely wounded Cyprien, but everyone else except the worthless Rechets and Iskra. I also realized after most of the game that I was forgetting to add 2 to every chilling roll of Cyprien's thanks to his wife. It wouldn't have changed much since I was rolling 5s and 6s mostly but I did know it would have worked at least once more. Very annoying nonetheless (you must always check the cards and make sure you know what you're doing) How often I have played Heroscape and I still fall prey to noobish mistakes .

Cyprien managed to finally reach where the Dumutef Guard was lurking and took a bite out of him gaining 1 life. This started happyjosiah off on an "I told you so" gig explaining that Cyprien was gonna keep doing this. The cowboys charged Cyprien but failed to wound him. Cyprien snuck up on Johnny and a roll of 20 later regained another life point. I love Cyprien! Cyprien then dodged for fire from James and killed theracus, gaining him another lifepoint. Cyprien attempted to kill James but only wounded him. Combined fire from James and Q9 finally took the great Cyprien down. Q9 finished off the round killing James and removing Katie from the game.

Josiah had 2 deathreavers left. I had Isamu, Marcu, Khosumet, and a broken hearted Sonya. Meanwhile Mike had Q9 with 3 wounds left. Things weren't looking so hot. Q9 started to lumber over to my starting zone but thanks to some trees he was unable to hit me. I positioned Isamu around and eventually got some height on the big lug. happyjosiah also threw in a deathreaver who also got height and would at least be able to stop Q9 from shooting the rest of my army for one turn. Much to our horror Q9 flipped around and fit onto the hexes, with his guns bearing down on our figures. Isamu managed to vanish away under a bridge but the rat wasn't so lucky. He did not scatter and his robo-innards scattered all over the map. I then sent in Marcu thinking: "If he betrays me, I can just hand over control to happyjosiah and nothing will go wrong". Luckily he did not betray me and instead started to attack Q9. After missing horribly for 2 turns, things were looking bleak. Q9 managed to roll poorly as well but still put on 4 wounds on Marcu. Marcu didn't betray me again and I finally rolled 3 skulls (after rolling no more than 1 before). I was at least happy with the event even though it stood a snowball's chance in heck of succeeding. Just as I was saying: "Well Q9 could die if he managed to roll..." and that's as far as I got before Mike rolled 0 shields. Like a Deathwalker Q9 fell. My measly wounded 20 pt figure put 3 wounds on Q9 and killed him. Oh happy day! Now I just had a deathreaver to deal with.

Not anticipating Q9's fall, I failed to move Isamu out of range of the deathreaver. Very stupid. And naturally after the rat rolled 1 die as 1 skull I failed my vanish roll and Isamu was dead. Uggg... Well, I still have Marcu. Happjosiah said "Oh, wouldn't it be awesome if Marcu betra..." but that's all he got off before I rolled a 19. Marcu betrayed me. Happyjosiah then took Marcu over and killed Khosumet. This was horrible! If I was gonna come this far and lose to a rat I think I would....well, let's just say I didn't want to lose, .

I now had the heartbroken Sonya and an almost fully wounded Marcu that was enjoyed betraying me against a rat. While putting the order markers on marcu again I looked at him questionally: "Surely Marcu couldn't betray me again?". I won initiative and succeeded in my Marcu roll and marched over and got 3 skulls on that filthy rat. The game ended with me being exhausted, happyjosiah laughing about his glorious rat, Mike crying in a corner about his Q9, and Katie moving on to bigger and better thigns on the internet.

It was a ridiculous and wodnerful game. So many ups and downs and one of the best endings of a Heroscape game ever IMO. Major Q9 almost fully healthy against a bunch of filler units, a heartbroken Sonya, the poor Khosumet, and a couple of rats, only to have Marcu kill Q9 in one swipe, have the rat kill Isamu, have Marcu betray me and kill Khosumet and almost let the rat win the game, only for Marcu to have a change of heart and finish the rat. Wow. Sonya and marcu would march off into the sunset licking their wounds, and most likely only for a little bit befroe Marcu would betray his evil brother's wife and kill her too.

Cyprien was amazing in this game. If it hadn't been for the exploits of Marcu and the rat he would have got MVP. "Marcu and the Rat", sounds like an awesome Heroscape themed children's book. Cyprien killed Denrick, Johnny Shotgun, Theracus, 2 AE, a Dumutef Guard, and wounded James Murphy twice. What a game for him. Coming from the brink of death once again and regaining almost all his life. Very cool.

As I said before it was an amazing game. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it very much. I hope you guys enjoyed the battle report. I'm sorry I don't have any pics of the game. We expected it to be just another run-of-the-mill Heroscape game. Hope you enjoyed it. Happy 'Scaping!

Last edited by gamjuven; May 8th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby!
Re: 4 Player Battle Royale

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm glad Q9 did not prevail! He's so boringly efficient.
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Very good battle report post gamjuven. I like how you peppered it with humor throughout. Very good stuff. I looked in 1Mmrig's thread for the link to how you picked the random cards and perhaps I just overlooked it, but I did not see it. How did you determine the random cards for each army, if you don't mind me asking?

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's in his "reinvigorating the draft" thread in the general discussion section. It's on page 2 I think now. Here's what I wrote:

Alright, so here is how I do the random draft Heroscape. I'll post two variations.

1. First one, totally blind random draft
Let's say you have 4 players that want to play a quick game of Heroscape. All you have to do is decide on how many cards everyone should have. 3-5 cards should suffice. You then mix up the character deck and then deal out 3-5 cards to everyone. Make sure that if someone gets a common squad, that nobody else gets the same squad. This makes sure that the armies are different, so nobody gets confused, and so nobody will be attempting to draft the same figures. That's basically it. If you want it to be even more random you could have each person turn their heads, have the dealer keep shuffling until the player says stop, then give them the card you were currently on. It doesn't really matter. What you now have is a bunch of people with the same number of cards ready to do battle.

Don't worry about the point difference, there will likely be a huge point difference btw the players. This will get evened out while playing as most players will team up and go after the player with the most points, then move onto the next one, and so on and so on until the armies become equal and the normal diplomacy of multplayer games continues.

This is a great way to show people a variety of cards in Heroscape. This keeps the game more "fun" because it's less serious with army building and such. With inexperienced players who find it daunting to create armies with so many units out there this is a great way of playing as it's random for everyone.

2. Another way you can play is by a psuedo-blind with some drafting involved. This is the way I played my game last night with 3 friends. You can check out the battle report here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=18140
It was a thrilling game and a great way to play if you want to have some randomness, but also soem drafting. It's a good middle ground for people who want to try different armies.

What you do is deal out 1-2 cards to each person randomly, then you draft as normal. Let's say you have 4 people who want to play. You deal out 2 cards to each person. Let's also say that you want to play a 500 pt game. You now build an army up to 500 pts using the cards you already have. For example I recieved Khosumet and Sonya Esenwein in the random picking. I would now choose an army up to 500 pts. I would most likely draft units that work well with what I got. Cyprien and Anubian wolves come to mind.

As I said this is a great way of playing if you have people who just seem to want to play the same army every time. This almost forces them to choose something different. You can be surprised when you find a combination of figures you wouldn't normally think of. Sometimes there are just so many figures out there it's daunting for even an experienced player to decide what to draft (especially if they have to choose first). Sometimes it's nice to have part of the army chosen for me. Then using those first figures I can build something from there.

Hope that helps. Enjoy this way of playing. I know I do!
Any questions feel free to PM me or just post and I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.

Glad you liked the battle report. Enjoy this fun way of playing!
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for answering, gamjuven. I didn't look in the "general discussion" section. I was looking in the index of threads, which is why I missed it. Thanks again - I'm definitely gonna give that a try. Maybe blind draft my whole football team.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports