Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Is ruling A or ruling B better? (Read the post first!)
Ruling A 18 50.00%
Ruling B 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!
A New Way to Free-For-All

Please do not answer the poll until you have read this thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In most free-for-all games, victory is dependant more on your opponents than yourself. Whoever your opponents pay attention to is weakened, whoever they ignore is strengthened.

I was thinking: What rules would prevent opponents "spectating" the brawl.

I was playing Super Smash Bros Brawl and then it hit me. Super Smash Brothers have a mode in which kills, not survivability, is accounted for. I thought this could be implementd into Heroscape.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see 2 possible rulings.

(Points given are determined by fractional amounts of an opponent figure's total hit points).

A. Points are determined by damage done to an oppenents figures.

B. Points are determined by the destruction of opponents figures.

C. Points are determined by the complete destruction of a card. This would help scoring with Marro warriors become simpler, while still being somewhat applicable to heroes. This doesn't solve the regenerating commons.

A way to solve regenerations is to give points for the destruction of the last 3 or 4 figures. If 1 zombie squad regenerated x times, the last destroyed zombies before the complete destruction of the card are the only ones that will count.

A better way is to just have exceptions for regenrations. Cyprien, would fall under ruling B. Marro Warriors and other squads would fall under ruling C. Figures that have been healed by Kelda, Glyphs, and Sonlen will have points deducted from the damagers.

Now what about ressurecting commons? They can also be deducted somewhat. I imagine a chart of this in a tournament to look something like this.

+10 Kill Otonashi
-10 Ressurected Otonashi
+40 Destroy Zombies x2
-20 Ressurected Zombie

I feel rule A would be better, because with rule B people would stay back and have snipers and such kill steal.

Now what of self damage to friendy figures? The destroyed figure's points worth of points will be deducted. +10 for you or -10 for your opponent is a self cripple or opponent's boost. People migght take advanteage of this and feed others, but that's a problem in normally ruled FFA's that I have yet to solve.

These rules would only be implemented in a free-for-all and not in 1v1's 2v2's and other team games.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This would require a bit of math, but it could be done during opponent's turns. Someone would have to check your divisionn and addition. The simplest solution would be to bring a calculator to a tournament, but many cellphones have one, so that isn't much of a problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Feedback and constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Would the math drive away newer players?

Would these rules make a tournament free for all possible?

Do you prefer ruling A or B better?

Answering these questions in your post would be a guideline for feedback. You may now answer the poll.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...

Last edited by Elf_Archer; July 19th, 2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: A New Way to Free-For-All

I'd say that stealing a kill on someone like Tor-Kul-Na is pretty cheap. I'd rather see the person who does 5 wounds on him get most of the points. On the other hand, you could still withhold points of any kind until the figuer is killed. This way, the person who does the last wound is doing a favor to the person who did the first five.

Old July 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

If it is a free for all then the game isnt over till there is one man standing regardless of who weakend who to get the kill. There are no points.
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

There was a thread about this just a week ago--in which the winner also gets to add in the points of their surviving figure. That seems smart to me. (Here is the thread; I believe the suggestion comes up later in the thread.)

Personally, the math would drive me a bit crazy--but I do think that someone did a cheatsheet for partial points on most HS units, for tourney scoring. If each player had a running total of each wound, it wouldn't be too bad. It could definitely change the dynamics of a three-for-all, especially.

Last edited by 1Mmirg; July 16th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

In are 5-6 player FFA's we play you can't attack the people on your immediate right and left for the first round. It really helps the game open up. Just my . On your rules though damage calculation seems like the way to go.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
I'd say that stealing a kill on someone like Tor-Kul-Na is pretty cheap. I'd rather see the person who does 5 wounds on him get most of the points. On the other hand, you could still withhold points of any kind until the figuer is killed. This way, the person who does the last wound is doing a favor to the person who did the first five.
It is exactly this tactic that keeps me from adopting a score-to-win system in my games. I don't like the idea of making a decision on factors like the ones you listed. I'd rather make the decisions to kill or not kill units based on what's good for me tactically, not because of the imaginary score that really isn't represented on the board.

Old July 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Mr.Fullerton Woo who?

I like option A. I too am an avid SSBM player and like their points system that rewards you for kills, and not being the last person standing. I might have to try out Rule A this week when we have our weekly Heroscape night. Thanks for the idea.
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!

We play with option A and have been for some time. In other wounds each wound is worth the points of the figure/ number of figures or number of wounds. Not too hard to just jot down.

This way he who survives MAY not be the one who wins in the end. We don't play too competitively so this, in a way, can generate 2 winners .... the survivor and the top scorer.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How does this mechanic work with a Hero that gets healed? Or with a squad of Marro Warriors that regenerate over the course of the game?

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

There is an inherent flaw in counting scoring like that. If the guy to your right has say Jotun and he doesn't engage you but enagages the person to your left and they kill Jotun then you never had a chance to get those points.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
How does this mechanic work with a Hero that gets healed? Or with a squad of Marro Warriors that regenerate over the course of the game?
I think you have hit the nail on the head... if several players have killed some of my zombies, and then I take a turn and bring two back from the dead, how do we figure out if they're the ones player B killed or the ones player D killed? It seems like a figure like Cyprien would need a "wound log" so we know that if he heals his third through fifth wounds, I get points subtracted from my score, but if he heals his first or second wound, you get points taken from yours.

Alternately, if regenerated points don't count against anyone's score, it seems like an open invitation to point-farm MWs, zombies, TKN, etc. by scoring multiple points, then letting them heal/rise.

I just don't like it. Personally, I don't care for fractional points at all. You kill a card, you get the points.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Mr.Fullerton Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
I think you have hit the nail on the head... if several players have killed some of my zombies, and then I take a turn and bring two back from the dead, how do we figure out if they're the ones player B killed or the ones player D killed? It seems like a figure like Cyprien would need a "wound log" so we know that if he heals his third through fifth wounds, I get points subtracted from my score, but if he heals his first or second wound, you get points taken from yours.

Alternately, if regenerated points don't count against anyone's score, it seems like an open invitation to point-farm MWs, zombies, TKN, etc. by scoring multiple points, then letting them heal/rise.

I just don't like it. Personally, I don't care for fractional points at all. You kill a card, you get the points.
Never even thought of that, and I'm an avid Sonlen user. You have a very good point.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles