Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

View Poll Results: What day should we do this?
Saturday the 18th 3 27.27%
Sunday the 19th 7 63.64%
Saturday the 25th 0 0%
Sunday the 26th 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker
Re: So-Cal Heroscape Game Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Marro View Post
... but hey I'll try it because it sounds fun and I'll be able to use some guys I don't own.
Right, good point, and another excellent advantage of Alastair's idea.

Quote:
I'm down with that too or even a combination.
Combination being something like 2-on-1? Personally I love doing those (this is a very common way for us to play at home: me vs. SSX and whatever friend he has over that day), but of course you have to have a pretty good scenario to support it to make it competitive. But that's up to Alastair and/or whoever's helping design the armies/maps/scenarios.

Or did you mean something else?
I meant a combination of the of the Battlelords idea and teams. Have 4 teams of two people (or however many teams there will be) and each team plays each other

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I meant a combination of the of the Battlelords idea and teams. Have 4 teams of two people (or however many teams there will be) and each team plays each other
Ah. Well, that could work in theory, but, LIS before, I'm just not sure those tables are big enough for 2 games of 2-on-2.
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM

JuicerGM has disabled reputation

I have found that I am now able to get to the game day on the 19th so I will be there as well.
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicerGM View Post
I have found that I am now able to get to the game day on the 19th so I will be there as well.
Awesome! It'll be good to see you again. Haven't seen you since we were able to work out that Nerak trade (which figure SSX was pleased to use in his latest victory over boom), and had that hot Nakita-on-Nakita action.

Still need to decide on maps. Suggestions anyone?

So I did a practice game against myself ('cause SSX wouldn't play with me ): Steamroller vs. the Metal Mohawks in Badru Valley.

Steamroller:
Spartacus
Crixus
Retiarius
Capuans x2

Metal Mohawks:
Snipers x2
Repulsors x2
Brave Arrow
Mohicans x2
Theracus
Isamu

Lessons learned:
  • Keep the steamroller together. Too easy to pick them off otherwise.
  • Do not engage the enemy with the repulsors just to get an extra attack die for the snipers. They just get crushed by the gladiators.
  • Do not engage the enemy with the Mohicans just to get the bonding. In fact, just don't engage the gladiators at all. Make them come to you.
  • Kill Crixus last. Don't waste skulls on him; you're much better off picking off all the Capuans first, which denies the bonding. In fact, it's probably better to go after the Capuans before Spartacus, even.
  • Although this latter strategy might be influenced by the fact that I left Spartacus back in the starting zone until the very end of the game. Which was not a bad strategy, overall, but I still think I should have kept the steamroller together.
  • Steamroller devastates in the early game. But it has serious endgame issues.
  • Repulsors just aren't very useful when you're not fighting Soulborgs. I mean, I didn't expect them to be awesome, but I figured they'd be some use when combined with the snipers. But IRL ... not so much.
  • Don't engage Crixus with BA; it's a good way to get him killed. But then I suppose that's true of just about anyone.
  • Keep Theracus away from gladiators unless you don't mind him getting crushed.
  • Don't let Crixus get height. Ever. If you do, wait till he kills everyone around him and then just don't go near him again. Eventually he has to come down.
  • OM management for Steamroller is trivial: 1, 2, and 3 all on the Capuans and X on Spartacus. Until toward the end of the game when you stand a chance of losing your last Capuan, this is all you need to do.
  • It's pretty hard to tell Crixus from the Capuan with the round shield unless you pay close attention to what you're doing.

In the end, the Metal Mohawks just plinked away until they managed to overcome, but it was a pretty close game, and I think if I had played Steamroller a bit smarter, it could have come out very differently. Left standing: 2 snipers, 1 repulsor, 1 Mohican, and Isamu (who never had to be called into action). Total gametime: 5 rounds (or maybe 6; I lost count).

Looking forward to more Wave 9 action!
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Reigning NorCal Champ

Alastair MacDirk has disabled reputation

Not much time before now and the 19th to plan. It would be great if Hivelord could update his first post with whatever details we've agreed to. The date is the 19th? The time? The location? Who is attending? What maps? Who is bringing them? And then of course we need to decide what we're doing army-wise.
I must repeat that I have none of my own stuff to bring. I can get to the location early and help set up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBladeCB
And I have a man crush on good looking robots.

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, I've done a rough headcount from the thread and it looks like we're up to nine people (my brother is coming up with me). So it looks like 2-3 tables will be enough.

Hivelord/KoM, do we have a start time pinned down yet?

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair MacDirk View Post
Not much time before now and the 19th to plan.
See, now, that's what I was saying.

Quote:
It would be great if Hivelord could update his first post with whatever details we've agreed to.
I thought I'd help Hivelord out, so the first post is now updated.

Quote:
The date is the 19th? The time? The location? Who is attending? What maps? Who is bringing them? And then of course we need to decide what we're doing army-wise.
I covered all that. Things that need to be nailed down are in ALL CAPS, so everyone please pay special attention to those. I counted on 4 maps because it sounds like we're only getting 2 tables, and I tagged people who previously volunteered to bring maps, but I didn't assign any particular maps (although if I were voting, I would vote for Badru Valley--I just built it to have something simple to play around with for practice purposes, and it's simple (1 RotV, 2 RttFF) but still challenging, plus it has the overwhelming advantage of not being Ember Canyon ). Confirmed Xn F M's count of 9 and added 3 maybes. Put in the ideas for format with links to posts where appropriate. Let me know if I left anything out.

Quote:
I must repeat that I have none of my own stuff to bring. I can get to the location early and help set up though.
I can definitely help out with armies, either for you in particular, or for the format in general if we go with the Battlelords idea. I have at least one of everything now (my Hawthorne is a repaint, but a sweet one), and multiples of nearly every common (the painful exception being Glads/Aubriens). I think I can handle most of the swarm/horde type armies as well: orcs, Romans, drones, zombies, rats ... I'm a little light on vipers, but for all the rest I have at least 5 squads of the core units.
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

I might bring someone.

aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for the update Xotli. I can bring Badru Valley I did some playtesting on it a while back and I like it. I can bring any other BoV map we might want. I'd like to bring a good Tundra or VW map, I'm thinking Sidewinder.

I'm thinking we should probably be prepaired to have as many as eight maps set up (if all out maybes/extras come and we can get the tables). If no one wants to step up, I can throw Tichilla Sunrise and Hot Heights in the back of the car. I really don't want to have to set up more than four maps though.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Last edited by Xn F M; July 13th, 2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Decided on maps
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for updating Xotli. I've been busy. I confirmed with Game empire and we definitely have two tables (with maybe a 30% chance of a third). Knowing those tables we can get at least a 1v1 and a 2v2 on each which would be perfect since it looks like we will have ten people. Speaking of maps, XnFM: I have you down for a Badru Valley and a Sidewinder. I will bring my terrain and set something up there. King of the Marro: I guess you will bring two BoV maps of your choosing. I suggest that we bring extra terrain in case we have to expand our maps for 2v2.
I don't quite understand this Battlelords tournament but I'm down for playing it. I'm sure I'll pick it up quick. I'll bring several 520 point armies and Alastair: you can certainly use my pieces.
The pop won't be able to make it but Redhorseman (played in the National Heroscape Day tournament) says he is going to be there.
I said that we would show up around 10. That way it is easier to get tables. I hope this works for everybody. If there are any questions complaints or statements just tell me.
~Hivelord

P.S. Xn F M: +rep for the firefly sig.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM

I'll bring Swamp Thing, and I probably can fit The Broken Skyline

aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart

Sorry I can't make this, I'll be working - maybe next time. Have a great day.

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events