Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 14th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: RiSkape: HeroScape / Risk mashup

My pleasure !
I printed mine (i.e. whithout your changes) just to see, at A3 format, and it looks awesome, enjoy guys !

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.
Old August 30th, 2014, 07:02 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey guys. I was playing a game of Risk yesterday, and it made me want to get this moving again, since it will be awesome.

If anyone thinks they could play a game online at some point, I would be willing to try to fit it in, just PM me! Let's keep this ball rolling!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old August 30th, 2014, 07:07 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Hey guys. I was playing a game of Risk yesterday, and it made me want to get this moving again, since it will be awesome.

If anyone thinks they could play a game online at some point, I would be willing to try to fit it in, just PM me! Let's keep this ball rolling!
I would definitely be up for playing a game online. PM me and we can work something out.
Old December 20th, 2015, 06:05 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey guys, is there interest in restarting this in the community? I feel like we were really close to getting it off the ground last time, but nobody had enough time to test it out. I think this would be a really cool thing to actually get completed, but that would require a lot of people for it to really work.

Let's see what happens.

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 20th, 2019, 08:41 PM

SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker

Hello all,

I know this is a necro of an older thread, and I am unsure how many people are still monitoring the project, but given @Dr.Goomonkey ’s most recent post here I thought this was the appropriate place to post this response in case anyone was interested in follow up.

I found this thread shortly after joining the forum here after a redirection from @IshMEL ’s fantastic Valhalla map, and after reading through it, my gaming group made some tweaks and set up to try and play through a full game. We’ve made it through 4 sessions totaling about 24 turns of play, and I wanted to share what we were doing in case anyone was still interested in trying to play something like this in their own circles, as we’ve had a great time and it’s been playing really well so far.

By and large, we’ve followed the basic rules laid out in the first post, with three players controlling individual generals in a free-for-all, with the victory condition being control of the majority of the wellsprings at the end of a round of gameplay (we’re playing using the Exploration rule variant and assuming each homeland contains a wellspring). We also decided that we would resolve every battle that occurred with a Heroscape game on a standardized (rulebook/BoV map or similar) 2 player map with an hour time limit and a persistence element. We keep the map and all of our bookkeeping in a spreadsheet to let us pick up exactly where we left off. All the specific rules we’re using are laid out below in case anyone would like to try them.

• General Gameplay: We have been playing the overall risk game in rounds, just as in a normal game of Heroscape, with each round progressing through Summoning, 3 turns for each player alternating clockwise by homeland (Jandar turn 1, Ullar turn 1, and so on until turn 2, which restarts the cycle), and then awarding Summoning Points for the next round and checking victory conditions. The only adjustment to normal Risk gameplay on the board is how Fortify actions are handled.

• Fortify: Instead of moving just a single set of troops, a player who spends a turn fortifying can move as many of their troops as they wish, with the caveats that any troops can move only one territory at a time, no troops may enter a territory that was not controlled by the player at the start of that turn, and no previously occupied territory may be left vacant at the end of the action. This allows armies to fully swap places to reinforce a territory and has helped the game move more quickly overall, but for those who want a slower, more strategic variant, leaving it as the standard rule shouldn’t unbalance anything else here.

• Summoning Points: Each player started with 500 army card points to be summoned into their homeland, and are awarded more points at the end of each round for every territory they control, with their homeland being worth 100, all other homelands being worth 75, and any other territory being worth 25.

• Summoning: This was where we made the most substantial tweaks to the basic rules, as we’re playing with a stricter version of the Permadeath variant rule as well as some additional changes. Firstly, units can only be summoned into friendly territories containing a wellspring. Secondly, I built an excel spreadsheet to track all summoning, as we allow unique units to be summoned only once, uncommon units to be summoned 5 times each, and common units to be summoned 15 times each. This, coupled with the slow summoning point gain, was intended to force us to play with everything our generals had, rather than just the units we were most comfortable with.

• Neutral Territories: We had all neutral territories occupied by 100 point armies decided at the time of attack by the player controlling the defending army, and neutral homelands occupied by a 400 point army of units belonging only to that general. The one rule we applied to these armies is that they cannot contain any unique squads, to give some more diversity to the small fights. Most of the fights against neutral territories have been only a 20-100 point advantage in favor of the player, so they can usually be a challenge and have inflicted some casualties on player armies, plus it lets everyone involved play more Heroscape.

• Persistence: In addition to permanent loss of units, we have been tracking wounds on uncommon and unique heroes following battles for the duration of the round on our army tracking spreadsheet and healing them up at the end of each round. This allows losses where the attacker inflicted some damage on the defender but didn’t fully eliminate tough heroes to have an impact and has incentivized putting more thought into backing up battle lines to be able to move injured heroes out of the way of a later attack. All squads have their units restored after each battle, though, as it was too much bookkeeping for us to keep track of how many was lost from each common squad.

I think that covers most everything – hopefully someone is interested in this, and I’m happy to answer any questions people have about my group’s gameplay if it would help anyone else try this. Thanks to everyone who worked to get this project to where it is up to this point – you created something really fun to play and I’m really glad I found this thread.

Cheers!
Old December 25th, 2019, 01:22 PM
On vacation...

Whoa, that sounds like loads of fun, @SharkRider !

I have actually played a couple games of something closer to the basic rules laid out in the post here in the last year or so, but those were way simpler than this masterpiece you've laid out and only had two or three players so we didn't feel bad about doing Risk battles against the neutrals.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 26th, 2019, 01:32 AM

SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker

@Dr.Goomonkey Thanks! It's been a blast so far, which is why I figured I'd post what we'd come up with in case anyone else wanted to give it a shot! I was really impressed with all the brainstorming you all had done to come up with this - the whole gameplay is really impressively put together.

We had contemplated just doing risk battles against the neutral territories when we were setting it up, using the heroscape dice variant to keep the theme, but it ended up being a lot of fun challenging each other to see how long we could last with a 100 point army, and ended up with some fairly creative setups.
Old September 26th, 2022, 09:47 PM

Resurrecting this thread once more, as the announcement of AoA and the return of Scape immediately had me thinking about what would need to be updated for this game mode to accommodate 2-3 additional generals (depending on how the Dawn Raiders will work), as well as the territory limitations of actually having a person playing each one of the 10-11 generals on a map with only 20 territories, as that will almost certainly result in forced player vs player battles on the first turn. This is probably my favorite way to play large-scale games of Heroscape now, as opposed to tournament formats, and most of my gaming group has agreed so far, so I am hoping to continue to make this highly playable for us into 2nd edition scape, and would love for there to be interest in reviewing these rules for the new releases.

I currently plan to try my hand at subdividing some of the map territories to spread out potential homelands once we get a bit more of the new lore, unless there is a new, expanded Valhalla map coming with the second edition to use as a basis, in which case all bets are off and the territory issue may resolve itself. I'm currently prepping for an 8 player game with the existing rules in the same style I outlined above, with a couple extra things to keep it running smoothly, that I'm tossing in this post below this just for the sake of this thread being a complete record of potential rules and gameplay in case anyone else stumbles across it in the same way I did and finds all these notes useful.

Additional rules for full-Heroscape Riskscape:

Attrition - This is something we implemented in the later part of completing our last campaign to reduce the risk of something like the Australia gambit dragging the game way out. To simulate supply lines, homelands can only contain a maximum of 750 points when the summoning phase starts each turn, and any other territory can only contain 550. If territories contain more than these point values at the start of the summoning phase, the players controlling the units must eliminate units (which count as defeated for our summoning rules) until they are below the point threshold. These are calculated at the beginning of our summoning phase, so that you have 3 full rounds worth of actions to summon and mass troops for a huge attack, win the battle/siege you were prepping for, and then fortify them back to locations where you won't lose them. This does require that you have to commit an entire round of gameplay to bring a massive army to bear like that, which was how the three homelands that fell in our game went down, and made those battles much more intense, as the defender was then heavily outnumbered but with the advantage of a castle. It was also how Haukeland finally got captured from the player who held it for 90% of the game. I think this helps avoid the trap of classic risk where battles aren't fought until armies are massed to huge numbers, but obviously is not as necessary if you are primarily doing Risk-style battles or like much bigger Heroscape games.

Battle Timer - This was pretty much entirely a gameplay convenience item added after a battle between Cathar and 4th Mass fought to a near stalemate for 2 hours in the mid-game, but we implemented a 1 hour timer on all of our matches except attacks against homelands, which kept the game flowing more effectively and incentivized more aggressive use of our armies. I'd definitely say this is an optional rule, but it helped us make a lot more progress on our game nights over the untimed battles we started with, especially once the armies started to get closer to 450-500 points more regularly.

Multiple Boards - I recognize that this is entirely limited to an individual's collection (though new 'Scape coming out should help make getting more terrain easier, I hope, and I don't really know the limitations or lack thereof for online 'Scape), but we started building 3 different two-player boards at once and just swapping one map out at the end of each round while people were doing the summoning phase. We let defenders pick which unoccupied map they wanted to play on, but this allowed turns to continue happening while other people were playing out a Heroscape battle, and especially with large numbers of players, should help keep more people playing at once, since many battles didn't go to time. For the upcoming campaign I'm organizing, I plan to continue with 3 normal boards and also build and set aside a castle siege map, as I expect that homeland attacks will be much more common with 8 players than 4.

I plan on returning to update this further once I have the results of the larger campaign, and also once AoA actually hits our table and starts to affect what units/generals are available. I already have an idea for a "Mercenaries" rule using the Dawn Raiders as a universally summonable pool for everyone with a single set of Summon/Death tracking, but I will wait to write out a full rule for that until the mechanics are actually apparent for the new edition.

Cheers!

- SharkRider

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion