Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Horned Skull Brutes Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru View Post
These guys look awesome in person.
This is true. Some of us in the northeast got to see them at Out Of The Basement last month. Eltahale was the standout one, but these guys weren't far behind.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I can't wait to get my hands on a few squads of these guys. Combining them with just 2 squads of Goblin Cutters looks to be super effective.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I just love Bugbears in general. These guys are fun to play and a good puzzle for players as you discover the best way to get the most out of ther stats and abilities.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

These guys are great! I already love the cutters but these guys are just icing on the cake. Run foward and plow into battle with Barge into Battle or if your not quite there yet stand back and pull up a goblin meatshield.

Theme and stats are excellent on these guys. Plus they give capuans a run for their money. I don't know about you guys but new army is going to be a goblin hoard for a while. THANKS DESIGN TEAM!!
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

It seems that these guys would be very competitive even without any specials based on their stats alone.

Add in the specials, and they seem awesome. Still, against a a special attack heavy opponent, you might be better off playing them without any cutters.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
It seems that these guys would be very competitive even without any specials based on their stats alone.

Add in the specials, and they seem awesome. Still, against a a special attack heavy opponent, you might be better off playing them without any cutters.
I really like these guys, but I kind of wish that Expendable Rabble worked against Special Attacks, just so the Cutters weren't so screwed against them. But hey - Heroscape is a draft game, right? Just don't draft them against Special Attacks!

A couple obvious armies to throw out there:

Horned Skull Brutes x2 - 150
Goblin Cutters x4 - 350
Insert double-spaced hero here - 450-500, 24 hexes

Goblins have Special Attack issues, right? Pair them with an Iron Golem and hope there aren't any Rats to tie him down while he makes his way to that Special Attacking hero to have him for breakfast. An Ogre Warhulk, Fen Hydra, Eltahale or Major Q10 are also all strong candidates to get rid of a troublesome hero if you find yourself with Goblins drafted against a Special Attacker. Are you at 530 Points?.... I'm not even going there.

Horned Skull Brutes x4 - 300
Goblin Cutters x3 - 450, 24 hexes

I think this one is going to focus more on the Brutes as the main attacking force and use the Goblins for Expendable Rabble.

Now - let's talk about trying to bring these guys to a blind-draft tournament where it's very possible that you'll be facing a Special Attack. You're going to want to get the most out of Barge into Battle when using them this way, so we need to pair them with a squad that can engage the enemy and survive while they're doing it. Hmmm... I wonder who that could be?

Horned Skull Brutes x3 - 225
Major Q10 - 375
Deathreavers x3 - 495, 23 hexes

Yeah, I went to the Rats, but I think they really make the most sense. I can see these guys charging up behind the Deathreaver screen and all of the sudden swapping places with the Rat to make their attack. You could also go all-Brute I guess by swapping out Q10 for Raelin and another Brute squad, and sitting one Deathreaver. I'm not sure how well it would work, but it would at least be interesting.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
I agree; their 4/4 stats make them worth the 75 point price tag, alone (compared to the only other non-boosted 4/4 squad: Obsidian guards, which are slower, and cost 25 points more). In fact, they remind me of slower, but more reliable Anubian Wolves.

'Expendable rabble' seems thematic and nice, but I prefer the sound of 'Barge into Battle,' especially when teamed with some ranged squads that don't like engagment, such as Roman or Aubrien Archers. Mixing up OMs will ensure that your brutes can plow into battle, hopefully saving your archers from an untimely death (of course, they have to survive the initial attack first, but a successful Barge will spare them the threat of disengagement).
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I like these guys!

I just think it's too bad that the Goblin Cutters aren't with the same general. I don't have a problem mixing generals, but I think it's somehow nice when the themes and synergy are within the general.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Mini-Tor-Ks!
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

These guys teamed up with the cutters will definitely give the 10th / 4th armies some troubles (or any girly ranged non special attacking army). If they shoot the brutes they have 4 defense and can just kill a cutter instead (assuming one is in proper location). If they shoot the weaker 1 defense cutters, no more hit zones on the cutters and then they are forced to shoot the brutes who now have cutters that scurried next to them. Or the cutters scurry up farther a bit and then the brutes barge into battle with them on the next OM.

OM management between the cutters and brutes may be a bit interesting to get it just right.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:56 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
[
'Expendable rabble' seems thematic and nice, but I prefer the sound of 'Barge into Battle,' especially when teamed with some ranged squads that don't like engagment
I hadn't really considered this, but I like it. The only problem with is is that those ranged squaddies have to survive the engagement in order for the Brutes to switch places with them.

It does bring up one interesting scenario though - Brutes against Deathreavers. The Deathreaver isn't going to be trying to kill your squaddie, so if your ranged squaddie is tied up by a Deathreaver, the Brute could switch your squaddie out of engagment, leaving it free to shoot at whatever it wants on the next turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
These guys teamed up with the cutters will definitely give the 10th / 4th armies some troubles (or any girly ranged non special attacking army). If they shoot the brutes they have 4 defense and can just kill a cutter instead (assuming one is in proper location). If they shoot the weaker 1 defense cutters, no more hit zones on the cutters and then they are forced to shoot the brutes who now have cutters that scurried next to them. Or the cutters scurry up farther a bit and then the brutes barge into battle with them on the next OM.

OM management between the cutters and brutes may be a bit interesting to get it just right.
This was my thought as well - if the OMs can be managed effectively, ranged-shooter armies could be really frustrated.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've been using the Cutters a lot lately and think that they are a really fun and competitive unit on their own. With the way that I use them now, it will be hard to try to incorporate the Brutes. I'm going to have a fun time trying to use this combo effectively.
The 2 attack of Cutters is pretty bad against a large number of squads, so maybe the Brutes are there to take on those fights while the Cutters gang up and slice the ankles of heroes? Time and play-testing will tell.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units