Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The great myth of Skulls versus Shields.

OK, OK, how about a venoc viper versus a arrow grut? Now you are going to start talking about how arnocs are sharks so you gotta keep them moving. Everybody's a critic.
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'll say it anyway. Whether or not it is better to have an extra attack or defense die greatly depends on who you are, and who you're facing.

While an attack die always has a better chance of rolling a skull then a defense die does of rolling a shield, it is certainly not always better to have an extra attack die then an extra defense die.

Obviously, if your figure uses special attacks often, or is ia cheerleader who you don't plan to attack with, then the extra defense is more useful. But there are plenty of times where even an offensive unit without a special attack is better off with an extra defense die then attack.

Using the matchup calculator, consider a matchup between Agent Carr (using his sword of reckoning) and a squad of dividers.

Unmodified, Agent Carr has a 38% chance of winning.
With an extra attack die, Agent Carr's chances go up to 41%.
With an extra defense die, his odds go up to 51%.

Clearly, in this case, the extra defense does him more good then would an extra attack. Mathematically, which one is better depends on both the relative strengths of your attack/defense versus your opponents attack/defense as well as the number of attacks you get per turn versus the number of hits you expect to receive.
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
And if I had understood all along that the myth was based on margins I would have never started this thread. Wish you had told me this, GreyOwl.
I wouldn't have known to mention it until you started this thread. But that's okay, it's an interesting thread so I'm glad you started it.

By the way, I noticed you're in Ankara. I grew up in Istanbul and lived there for 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'll say it anyway. Whether or not it is better to have an extra attack or defense die greatly depends on who you are, and who you're facing.
I absolutely agree!
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Question, how about probabilities of double attacks (or multiple attacks from squads) on the same figure. Always wanted to know what was better in situations such as:
Triple attack of 3 or single attack of 5 against defense of 3 for figure with three life left (Q9)
Double attack of 4 or singe attack of 6 against defense of 4 with one life.
Etc.

It would be more than figuring out the probability of one attack times or plus the probability of a second, because you have to take into consideration wounds (sometimes a second attack would not be applicable).

In my experience more attacks is usually better because you have a better chance you doing good and the other person throwing dud dice in one of 2-3 rolls as opposed to just one. but I'd like to see math back me up.
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:29 PM

Lesur is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:

Sorry if anyone misunderstood, but no, I never cheat on any game I play. I was just trying to point out how rolling the dice can affect the odds differently than dropping.
I think what people are saying, and I certainly believe, is that rolling the dice in such a way that it alters the odds is cheating.
Connection made. But I did not say to choose the side that is rolled. Just roll it. If it cheating, then I am sorry for not realizing it and I will stop.
It's not cheating. It's exploiting a glitch. What would be cheating is not rolling it with enough force for it to actually roll. If it just slid (didn't change faces) it cheating. Otherwise it's smart glitch-exploiting.

I am a supporter of Star Wars, HeroScape, Age of Mythology and Ninja Ponies. Don't judge my good taste.
Support the Sasquatch Militia. We are looking for people like YOU!
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry if anyone misunderstood, but no, I never cheat on any game I play. I was just trying to point out how rolling the dice can affect the odds differently than dropping.
I think what people are saying, and I certainly believe, is that rolling the dice in such a way that it alters the odds is cheating.
Connection made. But I did not say to choose the side that is rolled. Just roll it. If it cheating, then I am sorry for not realizing it and I will stop.
It's not cheating. It's exploiting a glitch. What would be cheating is not rolling it with enough force for it to actually roll. If it just slid (didn't change faces) it cheating. Otherwise it's smart glitch-exploiting.
Hey, thanks for reviving a 5 year thread and pointing out to everyone once again something buried deep in this thread how I played Omnicron Snipers wrong before. Like that needed to be brought up again after all this time...
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:56 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, thanks for reviving a 5 year thread and pointing out to everyone once again something buried deep in this thread how I played Omnicron Snipers wrong before. Like that needed to be brought up again after all this time...
Lets just all be happy that you didn't play vipers wrong. Then we'd have to deal with the four horsemen...

Old October 19th, 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I couldn't find the latest post date and I'm into HeroScape. And I'm sure I can share my infinite expanse of wisdom. Besides, sometimes people just need to know.

I am a supporter of Star Wars, HeroScape, Age of Mythology and Ninja Ponies. Don't judge my good taste.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:16 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Well I couldn't find the latest post date and I'm into HeroScape.
The upper left hand corner of every post will show what date it was posted.

Nothing wrong with reviving old discussions, as long as you have something useful to add.

Quote:

CHEATER!
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
The upper left hand corner of every post will show what date it was posted.
Thanks. I'll remember that. And everything is say is important. It must be, since I'm saying it.

Old February 11th, 2016, 02:23 AM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
With dropping, your chances are more random than rolling. The dice jump around, thus making which side it lands on less predictable.

MegaSilver

its cheating if you deliberately roll the dice a certain way to get the skulls along the rolling axis, its the same idea behind dice throwing cheat techniques in craps. Maybe you didnt mean to imply you roll them to increase your chances but surely you cant possibly be so naive as to think that a dice is not designed to "jump around and be unpredictable", thats exactly the point, its supposed to have an exactly equal chance of landing on each side.
Old February 11th, 2016, 06:56 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

So you are admonishing him for something he posted nearly 7 years ago?

Mega is a real stand up guy and was probably just a young boy back in 2009. He already clarified what he meant, and even if he did mean that he tried to play the odds, he has most assuredly learned since then that it would be frowned upon.

It just seems odd to unearth/necro this just to call him naive and/or a cheater.

Whatevers....?!?!?!

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles