Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Tournament ready wave 9 figures

This may be jumping the gun somewhat, but I was wondering what figures/squads people thought would be tournament ready from wave 9. I'm trying to decide which packs I'll need multiples of.

My first stab at this is as follows...
Gladiators (steamroller seems impressive)
Brave Arrow (great for a 50 point filler)
Repulsors (counters to soulborgs)
Dwarves (counters to dragons and Q brothers)
Migol Ironwill (bonding with dwarves)
Atlaga (decent stats and works with Minions, Sentinels and Defenders)
Protectors (ranged, flying common squad, but expensive)
Dividers (better than drones?)
Mohicans (good at several things but not great at anything)
Tul-Bak-Ra (assassin)
Kumiko (decent anti-squad if you are space constrained)

It seems to me that there are many specific counter-draft figures (Repulsor and Dwarves for example), but not too many figures that would be considered all around "A" type figures. What do you think?

Last edited by Rich10; June 28th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Tournament ready wave 9 figures

I actually think Atlaga is the best unit in Wave 9, but I like the rest of your list.

I think most of Wave 9's units will do OK in tournaments, but none of them will make a huge impact.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

I personally think the dwarves and marro are the most tourney worthy. Again, just my opinion, but I think the dwarves have untapped potential.
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I actually think Atlaga is the best unit in Wave 9, but I like the rest of your list.
Do you see Atlaga as making an impact by himself or more as a cheerleader for minions/sentinals/protectors?
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen. View Post
I personally think the dwarves and marro are the most tourney worthy. Again, just my opinion, but I think the dwarves have untapped potential.
I see the dwarves against large/huge figures, but they should get killed by 4th Mass, 10th Reg, Stingers, Glads/Blasts, etc.

I don't see the Marro as being that competitive. I see them as slightly better than the Drones. Could you explain?
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen. View Post
I see the dwarves against large/huge figures, but they should get killed by 4th Mass, 10th Reg, Stingers, Glads/Blasts, etc.

I don't see the Marro as being that competitive. I see them as slightly better than the Drones. Could you explain?
They're cell divide would allow them to survive longer, and thus, kill more.

I think the steamroller army may end up becoming as powerful an army as the Knights themselves.

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Do you see Atlaga as making an impact by himself or more as a cheerleader for minions/sentinals/protectors?
I see him as a cheerleader for those kyrie, a cleanup figure and maybe as a semi-counter to Braxas. The expensive Kyrie squads really hate Braxas, but Witherwood is scary for a Braxas player.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I'm going with Atlaga as well as far as making the biggest impact goes.

-insert signature here-
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

IMHO kumiko is the worst wave 9 unit. She an 80 condtional squad killer. In virtually any situation you can get a better 80 point unit.
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks, I sort of over-looked Atlaga. I guess I never did that well with Kyrie squads.

As for purchasing wave 9, I think that I'll only need on package of protectors and dividers. I'll probably get 3 of the other squads.
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker

Why only one pack? One squad of commons is essentially a unique squad, and the protectors aren't meant to be used that way.
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Yeah, even if you don't particularly care for a certain common unit, I'd say two is the minimum you would want to own, though I think three is really a must (for me however, I own ten of each regardless).

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion