Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Dungeon Crawl Solo Rules using some Heroscape

To be honest, my idea is more Heroquest than Heroscape, but here's the premise:

I love Heroquest. But I hate always being the DM - I want to play. Only I don't have anyone who can be the DM. So I began to think up a solo dungeon crawl game with all the stuff I want to see.

CHARACTERS

The characters start as 4 basic templates. For the sake of discussion right now, they are Adam, Bernard, Clarice and Deirdre. They each start with five stats:

Attack - number of dice rolled when attacking
Defense - number of dice rolled when defending
Move - number of actions allowed in a turn (some actions take more than 1 MV point)
Life - number of hits taken before being KO'ed
Mind - useful for skills and spells

These numbers start out relatively low, and then each character gets 400 GP to start. Training is purchased with GP, as are weapons and spells. For example:

Basic Melee Training (100 GP): +1 Attack in melee
Basic Ranged Training (100 GP): +1 Attack with ranged weapon
Mystic Bolt (50GP) - Arcane Spell: Attack a target you can see, using your Mind-2 as your Attack score.
Leather Armor (75GP): +1 Defense

Some advanced training is also available:

Advanced Melee Training (200GP): +1 Attack in melee; must have Basic Melee Training
Exploding Burst (100GP): Choose a square; attack all adjacent targets with Mind instead of Attack

Killing monsters gets you bounty (1 for a goblin, 10 for a leader, 25 for a dragon). Finishing adventures also gets you bounty, more like 125 or so. Spend this gold on upgraded weapons, training, and spells between adventures.

COMBAT
Each character goes before the bad guys. A hero may:
Move 1 space: costs 1 MV
Attack Melee: 3 MV
Shoot: 4 MV
Use a Skill: MV cost listed on skill
Open Door: 2 MV
Cast a Spell: MV listed on spell

This is the easiest part; roll your Attack, opponent rolls Defense. Damage is all skulls in excess of shields.

Bad guys have very strict prioritizing rules, but when in doubt, just roll a die and choose a target.

MAP BUILDING

This is the part I'm really proud of. I need to make 3 different size tiles (6 by 6 room, 4 by 10 room, 10 by 10 room). When you open a door, you draw a random event card. That card tells you what size room tile to flip over and place. It might also tell you the door is locked, or trapped, or wandering monsters come to visit.

Map tiles are marked with symbols for monsters, treasure, traps, doors and secret doors (or some or none of those). For example, a little skull in one space means you put a skeleton there. A spike in the floor means you might hit a trap; draw a random event card and if it's a trap, it goes off. If it's a little gold coin with a letter in it, roll on the appropriate treasure table.

Now, some adventures have objectives, like kill the giant troll or find the lost MacGuffin of Doom. So there are two kinds of rooms, A and B. You put the A's on top of the B's, and only draw B's when you run out of A's. The B's are a little more interesting; throne rooms, tombs, etc, where objective creatures or treasure might be found.

WHERE TO GO FROM HERE

This is a pretty good-sized undertaking. I need to invent a lot of little parts (monsters, treasure tables, spells, rooms, etc) and then make digital files. If I can pull it off, I will make the whole thing downloadable.

But I could use help. Any volunteers want to help make a dorky solo dungeon game?

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I can help. I can easily make any room and hallway tiles you may need using my software and some tricks I have learned. Also I have just finished my little solo dungeon crawl game that you can llok at and use ideas from!!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
This sounds AWESOME. I would love to help out in anyway you want me to.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:51 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Re: Dungeon Crawl Solo Rules using some Heroscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
T

I love Heroquest. But I hate always being the DM - I want to play. Only I don't have anyone who can be the DM. So I began to think up a solo dungeon crawl game with all the stuff I want to see.
If this doesn't work out for you, look into Warhammer Quest. Basicly the same game world as heroquest, and there's apsolutly no need for a GM if you don't want one.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Why limit the room sizes to just those 3 sizes?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Are you going to write an entirely new rulesset Imax, or are you going to just refer to the movement and combat rules of heroscape/heroquest? I take it you are going with square grid for movement? What size squares would you use, and would they be offset in a square hex pattern or lined up in a traditional grid?

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Wow! That's a lot of responses in a short time. Thanks guys.

GB, I would love to see what you've done. What software are you using to make your tiles? I was actually going to freehand mine in Photoshop, so if there's an easier way, I'm all for it.

Nether - the parts I am stuck on now are details - spells, character upgrades, monsters, treasure lists, etc.

DS, I'll look at Warhammer Quest. If it's what I'm looking for, and I can find it easy enough, I'll probably just do that. If not, I might just mine it for ideas.

Nether, I'm thinking of limiting room sizes to the three sizes I mentioned because of the way you get a new room. The tile itself has to fit those proportions; the room itself can have dead air or be shaped differently. Like you could use the large tile to make a chapel, with small wings or whatever, and not use all the squares. Each room will be unique, though some might just be a 2 X 6 hallway, or the standard square room. This actually allows me a wide range of flexibility in rooms, and since I don't intend to make every room have exits in some predetermined place, your dungeons should appear very organic.

GB, right now I'm pretty sure I'm just going with standard square grids, probably in about 1 1/4" squares (to fit HS bases, since lots of my minis are mounted on those). I was going to write up the rules from scratch, and just riff off Heroscape stuff. I'm shooting for massive simplicity (one of my favorite things about Heroquest and Heroscape) that still provides room for strategic and/or tactical play.

If I get a chance later tonight, I'll post the details I've created so far.

Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Rememebr that if you plan to have this available to print, each room should fit on a normal page. This is limiting I know but it is for a good reason. Do you want me to email you the tiles used in my Dungeonation rules? They are pretty cool and have variety and are only 6X6". It could give you an idea of the variety you can get from 6X6. Any larger at grid sizes above an inch and you have issues with printing.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:16 AM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Quote:

DS, I'll look at Warhammer Quest. If it's what I'm looking for, and I can find it easy enough, I'll probably just do that. If not, I might just mine it for ideas.
It's a great game. You can often find the full box set, and some expansions on ebay.

When I get around to stripping my old harddrive files, I'll look for the bookmark I have that has most of the books in PDF.

As for your game, if you go with square tiles, do a search for "Warhammer Quest Tiles" there's several sites out there that have a lot of custom rooms made for WHQ that could easily work for your game.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:34 AM
Man Genius

GB - yes, please email me your rules, and some sample tiles. I'm basically pulling this out of my butt for now, and haven't actually tried putting anything on paper.

DS - thanks for the tip. I've looked into Warhammer Quest and it very well may be exactly what I'm looking for. It looks very similar to what I'm doing here, and may save me the time and effort.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:08 AM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Quote:

DS - thanks for the tip. I've looked into Warhammer Quest and it very well may be exactly what I'm looking for. It looks very similar to what I'm doing here, and may save me the time and effort.
Now, either you need to come up here, or I need to go down there. Been too long since I've gotten a game in.

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Man Genius

OK, I've checked Warhammer Quest again, and while it looks close to what I want, it's currently going for about $75 on eBay. And I am so NOT paying $75 for a game I was planning to make myself, just for the hell of it.

So long story short, this is on. I'll need to look at some layout options for tiles, to see how big I can get away with making the rooms. I might make some that you have to assemble by taping two tiles together.

So I need to come up with upgrades (training options, equipment, and spells), room ideas, random event ideas (many of which should have traps and/or wandering monsters), treasure ideas (I would like there to be at least four different grades of treasure), and adventure ideas. I believe I will start at upgrades, so here's what I've got so far:

Characters start out with base stats (A: 2, D: 2, Mv: 4, L: 4, Mnd: 2) and 500GP. They use this GP to buy upgrades from this list:

Basic Melee Training (100GP): A +1 in melee
Basic Ranged Training (100GP): A+1 with ranged weapons
Basic Dodge Training (100GP): D+1
Basic Speed Training (100GP): Mv+1
Basic Hardiness Training (150GP): L+1
Basic Scholastic Training (100GP): Mnd +1
Advanced [whatever] Training (200GP): +1 again, stacks with Basic, must have Basic [whatever] Training
Basic Locksmith Training (75GP): Character may unlock doors; roll an attack against the lock's defense (described on random event card), using Mind in place of Attack. A successful hit unlocks the door; a failure means you may draw another RE card to try again. Takes 4 Mv.
Basic Medicine Training (75GP): Character may try to heal wounded allies and self. Roll an attack using Mind instead of Attack, and the target's # of wounds instead of Defense. Success indicates one Life is restored. In any case, may not try to heal again until target takes another wound. Takes 4 Mv.
Basic Trapfixing Training (75GP): Character may try to disarm traps. If the trap is on a RE card when opening a door, roll an attack using Mind vs a Defense of 2. Success indicates the trap is bypassed; failure indicates the trap triggers. If the trap is marked on the map, and the attempt indicates failure, draw a card; if the card shows a trap, it is triggered. Takes 4 Mv.
Basic Arcane Training (50GP): This character may purchase Arcane spells that do not have a prerequisite.
Basic Holy Training (50GP): This character may purchase Holy spells that do not have a prerequisite.
Advanced Arcane Training (100GP): This character may purchase Arcane spells that have a prerequisite.
Advanced Holy Training (100GP): This character may purchase Holy spells that have a prerequisite.

(More to come - back to work for now)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions