Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Best packs, waves, master sets based on Average Power Rankin

First of all this is an updated (final) version of something that was done by gamjuven in 2008, for his lists see here. I figured it was worth a new thread because it's been three years, and in those three years there have been four waves and one master set.

I actually originally thought about doing these calculations because of threads like my Best Expansions Ever and and Top 5 Worst Expansions Ever. These are both opinion pieces about what is best and worst.
Then I realized these questions are ridiculous. After all we all KNOW that the only vaild way to rate units is based on Jexik's opinion on how units fare in double-blind 500 point tournaments. So there is an absolute answer to what is best and worst, whatever expansion pack/wave/master set gets the higest power ranking is THE best.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm kidding. Embrace the Suck!

Anyway here are the lists. They are ranked by average power ranking, this is the average power per figure in a set, expansion, or wave. Some double counting was necessary, since for example Sir Hawthorne was both released as a promotional figure and in Heros of Renown. Two of the packs in Wave 10 are also in Wave 5, etceteras.

Master Sets:
RankMaster SetGradeAverage Power Ranking
1Rise Of The Valkyrie (1st Edition)B3.11
2Swarm of The MarroB3.03
3HeroScape Marvel: The Conflict BeginsB3.03
4...Rise Of The Valkyrie (Elite Onyx Viper Edition)B3.01

5Battle for the Underdark/Master Set III:B-2.76

The basic difference is trivial, but notice that it also coincides more or less wiith how much terrain/figures you get. Also if you're looking to buy this is a little misleading. Obviously the 2nd edition RotV is best because it has more figures than the 1st edition. And if you fine more than one at a reasonable price PM me please.

By Wave (large expansion sets and terrain sets not included.)

Rank…Wave…Grade…Average Power Ranking
1…2-Utgar's Rage …B+…3.43
2…9-Blackmoon's Seige…B+…3.20

3…5-Thora's Vengance…B…3.10
4…6-Dawn of Darkness…B…3.09
5…13-Moltenclaw's Invastion…B…3.07
6…10-Valkrill's Gambit…B…3.04
7…12-Warriors of Eberon…B…3.02
8…11-Chapions of the Forgotten Realms…B…2.94
9…1-Malliddon's Prophecy…B…2.90
10…4-Zenafor's Discovery…B…2.88
11…8-Defenders of Kinsland…B…2.82

12…3-Jandar's Oath…B-…2.58

13…7-Fields of Valor…C+…2.40

Now we've got some decent variation. And my excitement aside the DnD waves (11-13) are about average.

By Expansion Pack (includes the Large expansions and the promotional/flag bearers, does not include terrain expansions.)

RankReleaseGradeAverage Power Ranking
1Knights & Swog RiderA-3.86
2Agent SkahenA-3.60
3Soulborgs & ElvesA-3.57
4Warriors & SoulborgsA-3.57
5Minute Men & WolvesA-3.57
6Heroes Of LindesfarmeA-3.50
7Bugbears and OrcsA-3.45

8SoulborgsB+3.44
9Dwarves & RepulsorsB+3.34
10Soldiers & WolvesB+3.34
11Drones & MinionsB+3.30
12Forever ValiantB+3.30
13Braves & BrawlersB+3.30
14Ogre and GoblinsB+3.24
15Dividers & DefendersB+3.15

16Grut OrcsB3.13
17Heroes of ElswinB3.08
18Golem and WyrmlingsB3.04
19Valkrill's LegionB3.02
20Heroes of the QuagmireB3.02
21Warriors of the Ghostlight FenB3.02
22Zombie HordeB3.00
23Sniper & VipersB3.00
24Greeks & VipersB3.00
25Heroes Of The Moon TribeB2.96
26Glaun Bog RaidersB2.96
27Fury of the PrimordialsB2.94
28Roman LegionB2.91
29Heroes of KhorvaireB2.90
30Kilts & CommandosB2.90
31Veterans of the Last WarB2.90
32ElvesB2.88
33Heroes Of BarrenspurB2.85
34Heroes of the FaerunB2.82
35Ninjas & SamuraiB2.80

36Lawmen & SamuraiB-2.77
37Heroes Of DurgethB-2.76
38Shades & OrcsB-2.74
39Warriors of FeldsparB-2.60
40Sir HawthorneB-2.60
41Nerak The Glacian Swog RiderB-2.60
42OrnakB-2.60
43Fiends & VampiresB-2.56
44Gorillas & HoundsB-2.50
45Heroes Of LaurB-2.50
46Monks & GuardsB-2.45

47Heroes Of BleakwoodeC+2.44
48Gladiators & AgentsC+2.43
49Heroes Of NastralundC+2.36
50Heroes of the Molten SeaC+2.34
51Archers & KyrieC+2.30
52Spearmen & RiflemenC+2.30
53Marro CalvaryC+2.30
54Master Win Chiu WooC+2.30
55Heroes of RenownC+2.24

56Heroes of TrollsfordC1.90

57AlcolarhC-1.60

58Templar KnightsD+1.30

Notice that hero packs tend to do worst in this ranking because they have 4-5 different grades to average over. A pack like Knights & Swog Rider has an A- average because there are only two units. If you just looked at the top two units in a Hero pack then Heroes of the Quagmire would be number 1.

So what are the five worst expansions ever? (Excluding flag bearers and promotional)
Templar Knights
Heroes of Trollsford
Heroes of Renown
Marro Calvary
Spearmen & Riflemen
Ahh yes, the beloved Spearmen and Rifleman, the Calvary (human and Marro) and a couple of Hero packs. Renown wouldn't be there except for the Elite Onyx Vipers, Trollsford? well gosh. It's best unit is Valguard and that's only a C+.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Best packs, waves, master sets based on Average Power Ra

Nice List! Wave 1, 2 and 9 were my favorite and wave 9 is what got me to start buying waves in entirety.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
If you just looked at the top two units in a Hero pack then Heroes of the Quagmire would be number 1.
If you only looked at the top 2, then it would be Raknar's vision, having a perfect 4.0 with Q9 (A+) and Nilfy (A), right?
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's no surprise that RotV is the highest-overall ranked master set; many of its army cards are still as good an investment as they were when released. See Raelin, KMA, Marro Warriors, NeGokSa.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

I must be dense.

I don't see Raknar's, Alliance, or Orm's anwyhere on that last list.

I freely admit, I don't know all the Heroes of XYwhatever names.

cool info though

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; July 20th, 2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: ?
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
I must be dense.

I don't see Raknar's, Alliance or Orm's anwyhere on that last list.

I freely admit, I don't know all the Heroes of XY whatever names.
6Heroes Of LindesfarmeA-3.50 (Raknar's Vision)

20Heroes of the QuagmireB3.02 (Aquilla's Alliance)

45Heroes Of LaurB-2.50 (Orm's Return)
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Thanks!

See, I knew I was dense.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; July 20th, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: well there are 2 utterly useless posts by me...no wonder my rep to post ratio blows
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Are you missing 2 flag bearers? (Einar & Vydar)
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:42 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Obviously the 2nd edition RotV is best because it has more figures than the 1st edition.
Wait, what? Now I must be dense! Unless you mean the Walmart "exclusive" version that had the EOV's.

I remember a few different iterations of RotV:
1 - sparkly water, blue & red dice, window in box (1st edition)
2 - blue water, blue & red dice, window in box (1.5 edition?)
3 - blue water, all white dice, no window (2nd edition)
4 - Walmart version with EOV's, blue water, white dice, no window

Great list by the way!

Edit: In the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Never mind." I now see that you specifically mentioned the EOV's in your list.

And in the words of R˙chean, "See, I knew I was dense!"

Edit Again: In an effort to redeem this post, I'll just say that the Templar's may be the worst expansion from a ranking perspective, but I still think they are one of the best looking squads around! Draft 'em, charge 'em, watch 'em die, and then you can play with them on the table while waiting for others to take their turns.

Last edited by jbbnbsmith; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
Quote:
If you just looked at the top two units in a Hero pack then Heroes of the Quagmire would be number 1.
If you only looked at the top 2, then it would be Raknar's vision, having a perfect 4.0 with Q9 (A+) and Nilfy (A), right?
Didn't check carefully, obviously you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
I must be dense. I don't see Raknar's, Alliance, or Orm's anwyhere on that last list. I freely admit, I don't know all the Heroes of XYwhatever names.
cool info though
In general these are the Bixby's spreadsheet names for the releases. I agree they are sometimes obtuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Are you missing 2 flag bearers? (Einar & Vydar)
You mean I included some flagbearers? That was a mistake. The intent was to give a power rating to expansions, since flagbearers just have one unit if yiou want to find its power rank just look at the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
Quote:
Obviously the 2nd edition RotV is best because it has more figures than the 1st edition.
Wait, what? Now I must be dense! Unless you mean the Walmart "exclusive" version that had the EOV's.

I remember a few different iterations of RotV:
1 - sparkly water, blue & red dice, window in box (1st edition)
2 - blue water, blue & red dice, window in box (1.5 edition?)
3 - blue water, all white dice, no window (2nd edition)
4 - Walmart version with EOV's, blue water, white dice, no window

Great list by the way!

Edit: In the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Never mind." I now see that you specifically mentioned the EOV's in your list.

And in the words of R˙chean, "See, I knew I was dense!"

Edit Again: In an effort to redeem this post, I'll just say that the Templar's may be the worst expansion from a ranking perspective, but I still think they are one of the best looking squads around! Draft 'em, charge 'em, watch 'em die, and then you can play with them on the table while waiting for others to take their turns.
Woops, my bad, I did indeed mean the EOV version, I should have been precise.

And about the Templars, well dude, embrace the suck! Actually I think anyone showing love for the Templars is embracing just a little too hard.

But in an edit to my original post, I'd like to mention that one thing the power ratings don't respect is how an expansion changes the meta-game. In my best expansions ever thread wave 1 got a lot of respect because it was the first introduction of commons. I still think that waves 11-13 had the potential to have a similar impact on the meta-game--though I think that they haven't succeeded.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion