Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old September 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Renquist has disabled reputation
I would like to contribute something to this thread if I may.

I'll state at this time I have never been a moderator of a forum. I have, however been both a moderator and operator of an adult allowed chat site - the name of which is irrelevant.

In my years of overseeing the quagmire of human interaction I learned a couple of things that I find many internet users are all too often blissfully unaware of:

The internet is a very flexible tool. It can be used by all people from all walks of life for all purposes. One thing that is always at the forefront of my online interactions is very simple and even paramount - the internet is a facade. It is a veil if security; for all the right reasons, between one user and the rest of the online world. As such, you must keep in mind that people online can be whoever they want to be.

Is that a bad thing? Not always. Role playing is a fantastic social tool and quite healthy I believe. However, too many people buy into the hype... they accept, live it, breathe it, and also become completely oblivious to the harsh realities of life.

I don't want to sound like the doomsayer but I agree with Ninth in that you can never, EVER be too careful in your online interactions. As a moderator, operator, friend and concerned individual I've had to pick up the pieces of someones shattered illusion too many times. Yes, this forum is not as social a tool perhaps as a chat room but all personal interaction should be monitored with perhaps a tiny grain of salt and a healthy does of common sense.

That said.....

There are also many wonderful potential friends and acquaintances waiting to be met online. This community seems to be a great breeding ground for great people.

I may be new, but I'm glad to be a heroscapers member. I for one will strive to act in the best interest of all members and treat everyone with common courtesy and respect.

I'm done ranting now....
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
Renquist that wasn't a rant, that was a great post! I'm putting a link to it in the first post here.

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Renquist has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrun
Renquist that wasn't a rant, that was a great post! I'm putting a link to it in the first post here.
Well thank you. I've been known to go on sometimes....
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM

CrypticApathy has disabled reputation
This actually doesn't surprise me about what yall mention at all about having someone like him on a forum. I belong to many forums from videogames, cardgame, automobiles, anime and anything in between. Stuff like this happens more often then not. Maybe not to the extent of them being sexual predators but mostly thieves and such. Ive learned from most the car forums im on that unless you actully know the person you have a 1/10 chance of getting someone thats up to no good, be them wanting to steal your stuff, sell you stolen stuff, or just do harm to you (never had the 3rd happen personally).

Me personally when meeting new people, i always suggest meeting in a neutral area. from all the games ive learned to play, we always met at a card or comic shop that holds games like this just for the sake of safty and stuff. I wont meet any females under 18 for anything reason at all, and if its a male they must have there own transportation. ( i dont want to know where they live for my safty ). And i will not buy booze for anyone under 21, nor will i supply it unless they live on there own (mainly because i dont want a parent calling bitching) and are above 18.

I also wont invite anyone i havnt chilled with for a while over to my apartment. Not because of my safty but my g/f's. When she meets them and if she feels uneasy about them reguardless of my feelings they wont be finding out where we live. There are to many underage kids playing this game (not that there is anything wrong with that) for things to be so freely done.

You may be innocent and not done anything wrong, but that doesn't mean you wont be blamed for something or accused of something that you may spend the rest of your life trying to prove you didn't do.
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
This explains why Doc's avatar is Nick Fury. We should get more scapers like him.

Parents in this site should be warned and be adviced to warn their kids about these things. At least brief them about stranger danger and not-so-stranger danger in the web.

Great post Renquist.

Old January 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM

KingZombie is surprisingly tart
This is a great thread.

I am a teacher, and therefor a mandated state reporter of ANYTHING that may cause harm to any student in my district. I think it's great that Doc is here.

Is it possible to set this thread so that it always looks "new" with a new post in it, even if there's not? That way people will periodically check back and refresh their memories. Plus it may encourage everyone to read it if you've read all of the other posts and they show up as read.

Just a thought.

Work hard, play harder!
Great traders: beholderthedm,mecha frog, Shoe
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingZombie
This is a great thread.

I am a teacher, and therefor a mandated state reporter of ANYTHING that may cause harm to any student in my district. I think it's great that Doc is here.

Is it possible to set this thread so that it always looks "new" with a new post in it, even if there's not? That way people will periodically check back and refresh their memories. Plus it may encourage everyone to read it if you've read all of the other posts and they show up as read.

Just a thought.
That's pretty much the point of a sticky.
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM
has been BANNED

Eric_Cartman30 Woo who?
Re: 'Scapers and Your Safe Internet Experience

I am glad someone is watching out for our kids. It sickens me to think there could be some pervert on this site looking to hurt a child.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online