Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 5th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: 520 Point Hexes in Texas NHSD Armies

If those maps weren't so tree, tower, and ruin-filled, I'd strongly consider Nilfheim and Greenscales, much like I did at GenCon. That's probably what I'll play at the TTO. Or maybe Dwarves or Trons again. The 4x Glads/2x Blasts/Raelin army is the one spider won the championship with in 2008. He dropped one Glad usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; October 5th, 2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Dwarves and lizardmen are still "new", right?
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:56 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
If those maps weren't so tree, tower, and ruin-filled, I'd strongly consider Nilfheim and Greenscales, much like I did at GenCon. That's probably what I'll play at the TTO. Or maybe Dwarves or Trons again. The 4x Glads/2x Blasts/Raelin army is the one spider won the championship with in 2008. He dropped one Glad usually.
Yep, I had this same thought. There are some maps where Nilf is going to have serious problems moving around to useful locations. There is an old favorite of mine that I won't use at this event because Nilf just won't be able to help like he should.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old October 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Well, I've got a spreadsheet full of army ideas, but I haven't really narrowed it down any. I'm torn between some of my old favorites and trying out some new builds.

Warforged x4
Raelin

Is the core of many of the armies on my spreadsheet. In most of the test games I've played with these guys, I never activated the extra 120 points that are left off. There are tons of cool options, but I'm partial to the Iron Golem. There are a ton of better choices, but he's really cool and fits with the army.
I just put a wet blanket on killercactus's suggestion of adding Brunak to Braxas/Greenscales, but I think he makes a ton of sense in that warforged build. You can carry Raelin along with the warforged, giving you more out of your activations and optimizing Raelin location. You can blood hungry your way through rat-infested choke points - tactical switch is nice for taking rats off glyphs, but it doesn't really solve a full-on rat infestation. Brunak is also a nice counter to all those Grimnaks and Braxases that will be making an appearance, as well as the firestorms and goblins that might join them.

Of course, DrL's suggestion of Krav+Marcu works well too. It's a completely different army with that addition - in stead of rolling across the battlefield with Rae/Brunak and the warforged, you're sniping with the Krav and activating the warforged when the enemy is drawn in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
The rest of my builds are fairly vanilla. I'm looking at several bonding options to take advantage of the treasure glyphs, but some of the maps could get ugly with rats and range. Orcs seem like an ideal choice for this event. I'd bet on Ry and BroInLaw to have them at a minimum. Hopefully someone will bring firestorm and smoke those orcs out.
There's room there for FEx9 plus either Raelin or some rats, or FEx10 and Marro Warriors. Both of those seem solid.
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Sorry for double post - meant to edit this onto the last one, as it's not worth an extra post, but I clicked quote by accident in stead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
or Trons again. The 4x Glads/2x Blasts/Raelin army is the one spider won the championship with in 2008. He dropped one Glad usually.
At 525 in TTO, you could potentially go 3x Glads/2x Blasts/Raelin/Marcu/Shotgun. I'm guessing you'd rather have 3 more Glads most of the time, but Marcu can be nice for grabbing a glyph or soaking wounds, while Sullivan can mess with some of the builds that can give 'trons trouble.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I seem to remember a certain person promising that I would get to pick his NHSD army if my Battlestar Galactica character checked a certain other person for Cylon-ness. I also seem to remember that this army I picked could even include "Hatamototo without Samurai." Is the first certain person reneging on his deal?

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

R˙chean's and Dignan's replies in this thread have really thrown me off my groove.

I know there's no way either of those guys are really going to show up with the armies they threw out (they are soooo secretive about what they bring to NHSD).

But I just can't stop thinking about how cool an idea it is to throw the Iron Golem in with the Warforged and Raelin.

And how unstoppable the 5 squads of Heavy Gruts would be.

I thought I had this thing pretty nailed down and now I am just all out of sorts.

Got so bad I was looking at Viper and Ashigaru armies again...

I'm going to try to get a game against R˙chean tonight with the glads blasts using some of the suggestions here and see what happens.

(Braxas Is looking so good, but I have sworn off that black queen since NHSD '08...)

Doopa is Polish for awesome.

Last edited by DrLivingston; October 7th, 2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Fancer, there's now way in Valhalla I'm bringing Hatamoto Toro-no matter what you may have heard during Battlestar Galactica!
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLivingston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosmooth View Post
I've noticed that there really isnt a bunch of cookie cutter armies in the Dallas scene, with all of the really good players you guys have I would have expected to play against rats/Q9 a lot more(only faced the major once, and never rats).
Many fear the Velenne lecture...

And there's a sort of unspoken rule that we don't bring the same thing twice--especially if we've already won/done really well with it. No one wants to play Dignan's Glads/Blasts every year!

(Of course BroInLaw chomps all over that rule...)
QFT. Only this time I'm also bringing an air horn. Each time any player at the tournament reveals an order marker on RotV Raelin, I'm blowing that air horn for FIVE FULL SECONDS!

Last edited by Velenne; October 14th, 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Each time a player reveals an Order Marker on Krav Maga Agents, I will set them on fire.
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM

If you're serious about the Iron Golem, I love the Zelrig/Iggy combo, and can't wait to see somebody try it at a tournament. At 520... lesse...

50 Marro Warriors
180 Greenscale Warriors x3
185 Zelrig
100 Iron Golem
515, 17 hexes

Seriously, how cool is running Iggy into a crowd, and then popping him with Majestic Fires? If you answered "very cool", you are correct.

This build really works better at 545, though.

Last edited by dok; October 14th, 2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: If you want me to try it myself, just mail me Aquilla's Alliance...
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!

I hadn't noticed this thread until now. And now I wish I had never seen it.

You all have succeeded in creating the seeds of doubt in my army. That is what led to my dismal performance at the team tournament...I actually thought that Linvingston was bringing an Orc conglomeration that I could never beat. Then he showed up with something else entirely.

Have never played against Warforged. And don't know what to do about Greenscales + Braxas.

I am so hosed.

AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

You were hosed anyway.

7xdividers, Q10, Marcu keeps sounding better and better but I have to break my unwritten rule and borrow a 7th set of Dividers to play it.

I have never fielded an army that I could not make with all my own figures, but I just might have to make an exception this time.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubianWolf88 View Post

You all have succeeded in creating the seeds of doubt in my army. That is what led to my dismal performance at the team tournament...I actually thought that Linvingston was bringing an Orc conglomeration that I could never beat. Then he showed up with something else entirely.

Have never played against Warforged. And don't know what to do about Greenscales + Braxas.

I am so hosed.

AW88
Just play something bad, like Vipers or Goblins. Then if you lose, it's what you expected so you're not mad. If you win though, everyone thinks you're awesome because you won with bad stuff. It's what I do.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubianWolf88 View Post

I am so hosed.

AW88
Just play something bad, like Vipers or Goblins. Then if you lose, it's what you expected so you're not mad. If you win though, everyone thinks you're awesome because you won with bad stuff. It's what I do.
While there is some validity in this, NHSD is the one tourney I take somewhat seriously. I took 300 points of just ninjas to the multiplayer/every man for himself tournament last Feb, for goodness sake. But last year at NHSD I actually had some success (6th place) with Minions+Atlaga+filler, after learning how to get absolutely everything out of Utgar's kyrie.

This year, I'm just not feeling it. I started with, and discarded, Glads+Blasts+Raelin (the 4x Glads version, drop a Glad) because Greenscales + Braxas OR Nilfheim was just killing it. Now I'm trying to be balanced and I have no speed/glyph grabbing or wound sucking (no points left for Marcu). God help me if I lose the 1st initiative roll.

Uncertainty sucks.

AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion