Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old July 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker
Could this (elf) army hold up on it's own?

So yesterday I got my first wave 8 pack (Elves) and I was just randomly experimenting with my new cards, and I realized that the following team totaled exactly 550 points:

Syvarris
Aubrien Archers x1
Ulginesh
Emerroon
Arkmer
Jorhdawn

And when I saw this, it immediately brought up a question: Could this army hold up even with the obviously low defense average of 2? Now, I'm assuming that someone has played this army before, or at least has considered using it, and I would like to know if this team still stands a decent chance even with the low defense. Thanks,
TSS

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Could this (elf) army hold up on it's own?

I played a similar elf army against my wife. She played a soulborg army including the Q brothers. I won, barely.

There is a lot of potential in the elf wizard armies, but they take serious finesse to play. you have to think about movement and order marker placement carefully.
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Surfer View Post
So yesterday I got my first wave 8 pack (Elves) and I was just randomly experimenting with my new cards, and I realized that the following team totaled exactly 550 points:

Syvarris
Aubrien Archers x1
Ulginesh
Emerroon
Arkmer
Jorhdawn

And when I saw this, it immediately brought up a question: Could this army hold up even with the obviously low defense average of 2? Now, I'm assuming that someone has played this army before, or at least has considered using it, and I would like to know if this team still stands a decent chance even with the low defense. Thanks,
TSS
If I were you I'd switch out Syvarris for another set of Aubrien Archers, Kyntella Gwyn, and Otonashi (or Isamu). But I wouldn't worry to much that your army has low defense since you have much life, and Arkmer could have the potential for 8 defense using your army.
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Surfer View Post

Syvarris
Aubrien Archers x1
Ulginesh
Emerroon
Arkmer
Jorhdawn

TSS
If I were you I'd switch out Syvarris for another set of Aubrien Archers, Kyntella Gwyn, and Otonashi (or Isamu). But I wouldn't worry to much that your army has low defense since you have much life, and Arkmer could have the potential for 8 defense using your army.
The problem with me switching anyone out is.... I have no other elves to switch out. I have no other figures from wave 8 of any kind, and I would like to keep Syvarris anyway to allow for a couple summons from Emerroon, which could turn out rather handy at some point.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The elf armies are powerful, but once key elements are taken out, they virtually dissolve. Many points are dedicated to support units who won't last long after their protectors are dead. Elf armies have the potential to be great, but the player must be great him/herself.
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Lord_of_the_elves is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Elf armies need defense boosts. they can hold without them but they are much better with them. I always use Kyntella Gwin when I use an elf army. The elves are even better when played on a jungle map against ranges figures. Aclorath is a good addition to any elf army to, keeping elves from dieing, no matter how hard, is a good trait.

http://z.about.com/d/boardgames/1/0/y/e/ullar_figure.jpg Ullar rock and roll!
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I never thought I'd say this (certainly not when she first came out), but Gwyn is pretty important to the elves. Her cost is low, but being able to summon her in as an extra (to boost summoning (Emir), defense (Arkmer), and attack (Chad or Johr), not to mention everyone's defense a bit), well, that is a lot of gain for a very small price. Perhaps the best 20 points you can pull (since you can never use order markers and still keep her active and useful, thanks to Emir).

That particular pack is on sale just about everywhere online--check out Billtog's Online Shopping Guide (the link is in my Index--see my sig).

Good luck with the elves!
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Off by a little. Plus a typo.

iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker

Hmm I think it might be even better to replace Syvarrise and add Gwyn anf Realin.

Ulginesh 150
Arkmer 50
Gwyn 20
Raelin 80
Emirroon 80
Jorhdawn 100
AA 70

Even though Raelin isn't a elf,she whould give 2 additional def dice. Then if Gwyn is close enough,she whould give 1 more def dice. Which whould give Jorhdawn 5 def dice. Jorhdawn needs to survive at least till your oppnet has no more squads.

Valhalla's Darkest Hour: Custom Wave 3 and March of Shadows: Custom Large Expansion 1 coming soon.

Last edited by iceman3317; July 9th, 2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart

I used the same army but with Chardris, Zetacron, and Theracus rather than the archers and Raelin.
They took out Charos easily. But poor Arkmer was the first to go.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM

fil knows what's in an order marker fil knows what's in an order marker

I tried out a similar Elf army, and was holding my own against my opponent ... until the Airborne dropped. They quickly took out Ulgenish (order marker hero), and it was downhill from there. I almost turned the tables on him when I maneuvered Gwyn adjacent to half his Airborne and had Jordawn take them all down, but by then, the Gladiators came in and were overmatched in the melee exchange.

Overall, it was a fun army to try, but I'd never bring it to a tourney. There are just too many holes.

However, I do like loading it up with Aubriens (2x or 3x) and getting that frenzy possibility in there to tighten it up a bit. In that case, I'd probably keep either Chardris or Jordawn (not both) and consider dropping Emiroon or the Arkmer/Gwyn combo to make room.

Returns for more.

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker

I have not seen any elf army that could hold its own against an orc army, a Q9 army (with Blastatrons), or a Stinger/Marro army. They are a lot of fun to play, but I don't believe they are very competitive.

My experience with the elf wizards included a really fun Rain of Fire with Jordawn on Krug, dealing 1 damage to the Beast, but killing 6 orc grut archers surrounding him. After that, Emiroon failed me and I killed only one or two more orcs before going down fast. Once, Chompy came up and ate Arkmer, it was all over.

They are fun, but not competitive.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion