Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM

CasualScaper has disabled reputation
Master Sets Key to Heroscape's Survival and Growth

Recently, some Walmarts (and FLGSs) have been stocking some reprints and Aquilla and Ticalla. That's great. In fact, I just picked up my first of both Aquilla and Ticalla last night at Wally World.

Still, it occurred to me, as I'm sure it has to many of you, that unless the Master Sets continue to be available en masse, simply having expansions on the shelves at stores is a death knell for Heroscape. Here's why:

Eventually, those of us who play the game will have enough of everything for our collection (okay, some never will), and will stop buying any reprints. Granted that might be in the distant future, but still, it's conceivable that it happens. Then, whatever's appearing on the shelves will remain there, indicating (falsley) to retailers that there's no interest in Heroscape, and they'll stop stocking it, and WotC will stop making it.

Unless new players are continually introduced to the game through the Master Sets (preferrably RotV), I see this as sad but inescapeable (yes, pun intended).

I think we have to have Master Sets in the big box retailers.

Thoughts? And what to do about it.

"I think I'd rather be a cowboy. I think I'd rather ride the range."--John Denver
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Admin

Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Master Sets Key to Heroscape's Survival and Growth

I agree with your logic.

Boosters sell to the population of Scapers who already have Master sets.

New growth would definatly be captured in Master Set sales (yes, old times by master sets too).

It's been said that the Master sets do not have a high profit margin, but that new customer base gets more boosters sold.

I can't speak on what the suits consider a good profit margin, but I can say that new growth is good for any marketable product.

The terrain (which is a BIG part of the Master Set) was what pulled me into HeroScape (like many others). I woud like to see more ROTV or SOTM available (if not a new Master Set), but business is business and retailers and distributors are a quirky bunch.

So lets just hope the waves keep coming and sell out. Then HeroScape can be labeled HOT and more resources dedicated.

In the mean time, play and promote the game. Then more Master Sets will be purchased. Also, it's fun and the best thing for HeroScape.

Recent Games Played:
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

If a full-on Master Set is a money loser, it might still be interesting to have smaller "Jump-start" sets-- you know, something with a 4-6 units in the box and about the amount of terrain you see in your typical Terrain Expansion set.

I think somebody (Jexik?) suggested that Terrain Expansions just be turned into Master Sets-- the SOTM set was kind of like this. But that's more than what's necessary in my mind. If they had released the lava set with the Obsidian Guards, but also, say, Brunak, Microcorps Agents and Sonlen (all figures that might work well on an all lava board), I think that would've been a neat way to get into Heroscape. But if a mini-master set has as much terrain in it as the Tundra set, I can't help but think that would be enough to at least get into the game.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker

I agree that we do need mastersets to move this game along, I just don't agree that this thread fits under 'News.' Just a heads up.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

If what we have heard about WalMart getting back into the Heroscape game with both feet then I would imagine they would carry the master sets again also.

WalMart occassionally puts things on clearance to make room for new merchandise and then later on recarries the same items. If they are not planning on any BIG Scape shipments till the summer when Wave 9 is released then it is not uncommon for them to clear out what they have to make shelf room to carry something else in its place for the time being.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Admin

Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnimaniac View Post
I agree that we do need mastersets to move this game along, I just don't agree that this thread fits under 'News.' Just a heads up.
Thanks. Moved.

I've heard the about the Mini Master set idea. I like the "Jump Start" title.

Since we're throwing it out there. And if your listening Wizards...

JUMP START SET - A fully themed 400 (or 500) point army with matching terrain. How sweet would that be!!!!!!!

Think I'll start a thread to discuss.

HERE: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=23726

Recent Games Played:

Last edited by Oogie_Da_Bruce; February 23rd, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM

BadBird is surprisingly tart

I was at a FLGS just last weekend and they had a Heroscape display setup in the middle of the store. The were selling waves 7 and 8, TT, Forest and Orm's Return, only 1 or 2 copies of each. The sad part is they had no Master sets. I witnessed a kid with his mother gettiing all excited wanting to buy it. The kid bought a copy of Orm's Return, I can't help wonder how disappointed this poor kid will be when he gets home to realize theres not much he can do with it not having a master set.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
I was at a FLGS just last weekend and they had a Heroscape display setup in the middle of the store. The were selling waves 7 and 8, TT, Forest and Orm's Return, only 1 or 2 copies of each. The sad part is they had no Master sets. I witnessed a kid with his mother gettiing all excited wanting to buy it. The kid bought a copy of Orm's Return, I can't help wonder how disappointed this poor kid will be when he gets home to realize theres not much he can do with it not having a master set.
How do you know he doesnt have one?

Maybe he just wanted to play with them like action figures?

If you felt so bad why didn't you step in and tell them?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM

Superm9 is surprisingly tart

I would have to agree with you on this one. A new player isn't going to come along and say, "hey, I'll pay $20 to buy this cool bridge set with a weird monster on it" when they can tell that it won't be a fun "game" they can play with their friends and family. Now, a more realistic scenario would be a new player coming along and saying, "Hey, this giant box of cool looking figures and terrain pieces looks sweet! How about I buy this, and if I enjoy it, I'll come back and buy that cool looking bridge and monster to expand it later!"

People love the ability to spend a smaller quantity of cash on a "starter kit" that gives them enough "stuff" to get started, but yet they can come back later and spend a little money at a time on cool "expansion sets" that make gameplay more fun. I personally operate on a limited budget, so I can't buy more Heroscape very often. There is no way on this earth I would have gotten started in HS two years ago if I hadn't been able to try out the Master Set first; it is one of the most perfect starter kits I have ever seen in a game system (not to mention a well-priced one ).

Now, I do approve of the "mini-start kits" that were mentioned; if WotC cannot fund the MS production due to lack of profit, then they could switch to a different approach - for example, I could see multiple "mini-start kits" like this (note that there are some figures in here from both master sets combined, as well as some of the figure expansions):

Quick-Start Kit 1: Rise of the Soulborgs Part 1

FIGURES:
Deathwalker 9000
Deathwalker 8000
Deathwalker 7000
Zettian Guards
Blastatrons x 2

TERRAIN:
2x Rock 24-hex
4x Rock 7-hex
4x Rock 3-hex
2x Rock 2-hex
5x Rock 1-hex
2x Sand 1-hex
1x Large Ruin

Quick-Start Kit 2: Rise of the Soulborgs Part 2

FIGURES:
Major X17
Major Q9
Major Q10
Warden 816
Gladitrons x 2

TERRAIN:
2x Rock 24-hex
4x Rock 7-hex
4x Rock 3-hex
2x Rock 2-hex
5x Rock 1-hex
2x Grass 1-hex
1x Small Ruin

Quick-Start Kit 3: Modern Warefare

FIGURES:
Sargent Drake Alexander
Krav Maga Agents
Agent Carr
Airborne Elite
Nakita Agents
2x Microcorp Agents

TERRAIN:
2x Grass 24-hex
4x Grass 7-hex
4x Grass 3-hex
2x Rock 2-hex
5x Grass 1-hex
2x Sand 1-hex
1x Large Ruin

Quick-Start Kit 4 - Anchient Uprising

FIGURES:
Marcus Decimus Gallus
1x Roman Legionarres
1x Roman Archers
Finn the Viking Champion
Thorgrim the Viking Champion
Tarn Viking Warriors
Kaemon Awa
Izumi Samouri

TERRAIN:
2x Grass 24-hex
3x Grass 7-hex
6x Sand 3-hex
2x Rock 2-hex
5x Grass 1-hex
6x Sand 1-hex
1x Small Ruin

Et Cetera, Et Cetera...

These could be priced anywhere from $25 - $30 - I'm not a marketing proffessional, so I don't know how much value this would have. Each set has it's own common squad(s) to keep people coming back for more; you could even reorginize them into hero- and squad-packs and set up a production ratio to help keep the sets balanced in circulation. I could see this as a slightly more expensive manner in which you could collect large amounts of terrain and figures, while picking and choosing which historical and futeristic "themes" you prefer...

Just elaborating on someone else's idea.

Star Wars
Battlefront II Fan!
Check out pictures of my custom Heroscape terrain props, maps, and my SWBFII mod map: Xagobah: Mazarian Assault here
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

Kind of wondering if it wouldn't be in their best interest in using SOTM as the "Master Set" and splitting the ROTV figures into a 3 pack of large expansions and a "Master Terrain Pack".

The big joy in packaging the terrain pack is it could be sold as a "brick" that is just shrink wrapped (4 per case) with a graphic overlay sheet.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Last edited by Dennys; February 24th, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

I agree that new base sets are key to survival. I just have to wonder what the "minimum" size would be for such a product (note the quotes around minimum). I agree that lava would have been a great theme set, but there are the rulebook, markers, and dice to fit in; this all adds cost without visibly adding more value to the product. There needs to be an appearance of high value to draw in new customers.

If they go this route, I certainly hope there remains a "super-large" set where I can get lots of terrain at once. Buying five starter sets to get enough terrain to build a landscape doesn't appeal to me.

Hey, that's an idea: keep the master set genus, but also add a "starter set" to get people in without a $40-50 investment. This may or may not replace terrain expansions, but if they're themed then there's no real difference to me. Especially if they're shipped with commons.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM

pixlepix Woo who?

I think they should make a starter set that includes about twice as much terrain as sotm, A stragety guide/ instruction booklet( Updated with each new wave) and balanced 500 point armys for each general. Anybody know how much that would cost?

"Heroscape isn't interfering with your life. Your life is interfering with heroscape."
Basic guide to heroscape
guide to heroscape rules
The best online game ever(try it out for a month.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion