Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for the map(s) that are the best
Styx and Stones 16 57.14%
Mine's Rift 5 17.86%
Mausoleum Ruin 10 35.71%
Gambit 10 35.71%
Sauna 8 28.57%
Honor 14 50.00%
Steer into the Skid 2 7.14%
Foothold 10 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11th, 2021, 04:07 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Bracket One ScapeCon Map Contest VOTE

This is the first of two brackets for the ScapeCon Map Contest. If you don't know what ScapeCon is check of this subform.

The goal of this contest was to create tournament quality maps that utilize a slit starting zone. There were 17 maps submitted. This bracket will have eight maps and the other will have nine. The top 3 from each bracket will advance to the final round. You may vote for multiple maps. Link to the other bracket.

Polls close Friday 5/15 at 3:10 AM Central.

Last edited by infectedsloth; May 14th, 2021 at 06:26 AM.
Old May 11th, 2021, 01:10 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Bracket One ScapeCon Map Contest VOTE

superfrog’s unqualified map thoughts:

Mine’s Rift:
Just struck me as a little boring as the map is pretty much a level 2 slab on a level 1 slab with two level 3 pods in the middle.

Mausoleum Ruin:
Not sure how useful the swamp height side will be in practice. Very flat leading up to that level 3 7-hex, I wish there was some level 2 in there somewhere. Almost got my vote though.

Gambit:
Really like the start zones and how they’re split. Also like how the sides are more approachable than Fulcrum’s. Got my vote.

Sauna:
Just feels small and tight. Obviously not a lot of terrain to work with so that’s natural. A squad of rats could just clog this up too easily imo.

Honor:
Also love the SZs except that they’re not all sand, but they do feel like very distinct choices. The road shape is very nice as well. Got my vote.

Steer Into the Skid:
Tough aesthetics with this terrain combo, and I wish the height was closer to the center in general. I do think this map is a bit overlooked in this bracket, though.

Foothold:
Very pretty map and has a lot of things going for it. I just find maps with a horizontal road piece across the center to be difficult since it can turn into two hills without much of a way to press forward towards the middle of your opponent’s setup.
Old May 11th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm trying to focus on finishing up this last case before starting my final, but these damn map thoughts keep rattling around my head, so here we go:

Styx and Stones: A cool concept, but that's a lot of lava. I prefer lava to be a little more spread/have a more even mix of safe/unsafe spaces (see: Stygian Rift, Dance of the Dryads, Wyrmwalk, etc.). Regardless, I'll probably give it a whirl this summer.

Mine's Rift: I agree with SF that it's just too flat. It needs more dynamic height changes to create more interesting tactical decisions.

Mausoleum Ruins: I think this map is close, but not quite there. Freeing up the other hexes used in Sir H's other map would go a long way to rectifying the problems here (not that all the hexes should be used, but it could use more). I'm also not in love with the current LoS blocker placements, but it's honestly a solid start with a lot of potential.

Gambit: I'd echo what I said about Styx and Stones.

Sauna: I actually think a reshuffling of the level 0 tiles could do wonders for fixing the choked center issues. It got my vote for how easy of an issue that is to rectify.

Honor: Just Flash being Flash. Love it. Perhaps the road could be a little different, but overall, looks great. Got my vote.

Steer into the Skid: Honestly, a really nice first effort. However, it's a bit too long, and the heights are too "yours and mine." With some revisions, this could be a nice map.

Foothold: Again, a really nice first effort from a new map maker! I'd agree with SF that the heights are a little "yours and mine." Notably, the glyphs also feel that way, and I'm not sure the easiest way to fix that. But again, with some revisions, this could be really nice.
Old May 11th, 2021, 08:41 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Styx and Stones: Good looking map. One of the few that has legitimately split start zones (not just one hex between that could've just as easily been part of a normal start zone). Possibly my favorite in this bracket.

Mine's Rift: Start zone split feels quite a bit more arbitrary here. Wish there was some (jungle/shadow) cover for the outside approach toward the height. I do like the 5-hex sprawl for the highest points on the map, though, since that gives a few figures room to dance while still having advantage over the rest of the map.

Mausoleum Ruin: Like the concept and visually I think it lives up to its name. Not sure it would play that well, though, especially given Wannok can be taken turn 1 by anything with 6 Move. The splits are also, IMO, hideous.

Gambit: I get Fulcrum vibes from this and I kinda like it. But with glyphs and height on the outside, I'm not sure how much the middle lane would actually get used, especially because you have to vacate that whole approach by the end of the round or risk damage.

Honor: Good start zone split. Wary of those dragon perches, but they're road-accessible. The central glyph is again interesting, but could leave the outer edges largely untouched.

Steer into the Skid: The middle is too open, and the height is far too dispersed and almost none of it road-accessible.

Foothold: Like the look of this one. Maybe move the glyphs one space toward the edge by the grass to make them a little more balanced from each start zone. And I disagree with other comments about the height being separated, since they're so close almost any figure can walk from one to the next.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 11th, 2021, 10:37 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

First off, awesome contest! I'm glad so many people submitted maps, especially new builders! It was hard to narrow choices in both polls, but I eventually went with my top 3 in each. I'll definitely be pulling from this pool for some of our local action!

Also, I like talking about maps, so here come some unsolicited thoughts and opinions.

Styx and Stones:
Love the set combination and general layout, but it's a small footprint and I feel like the lava makes it feel more cramped than it should. Seems like games on it would end up going through the same decisions a lot. Also, I don't really see players going for the glyphs very much; they're in a nook full of lava and easily targeted by range.

Mine's Rift:
It's a solid enough take, but also rather plain. Games on it would be too straightforward without much decision-making. I think it would be easy enough to shake up a bit that I'd love for that to happen. Good set combo.

Mausoleum Ruin:
Personal pet peeve: I know this is meant to be used with its counterpart, but I never enjoy running maps that use half sets. Otherwise looks pretty good overall. I do wish some height/LoS blockers was utilized more on the rock side to make for a better approach to that swamp 7 hex.

Gambit:
I'm... not really a fan of all of that lava in the middle. That's going to make crossing the map a big ol' pain, which means most games are ranged battles across the map. If you're melee and have to fight across, you're in for a rough time.

Sauna:
Like Styx, I like the general layout, but the small footprint plus lava means that it seems really restricted to me. It's close, but I don't really see a lot of dynamic gameplay here.

Honor:
I really like that this map embraces the split start zones and provides for a lot of decision-making with placing and development. I don't love the single-hex Raelin perch behind the double pillars, though it's not a game-commanding position.

Steer into the Skid:
Absolutely love the name and theme for the map; it's a delight. That said, I'm not loving the reserve height mixed with flatlands in the middle. I'd love to see the height rearranged to be by the road. I think it has potential to be a super solid map.

Foothold:
I actually like the general concept of this map, but I think the split start zones are doing more harm than good in this case. You end up with most of your army on one side, which also has easier access to height, the glyph, etc. which leads to the yours/mine gameplay. But I like the figure 8 road - that's just fun - and think that if it had some reworks it would make for a sweet map.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 12th, 2021, 11:13 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

@superfrog , @OEAO , @NecroBlade , @BiggaBullfrog , loved reading your map analyses.

I've come to realize, there's nothing in the game I love more than map analyses.
Old May 13th, 2021, 06:24 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Styx and Stones: I like this a lot. Feels like somewhere between Ashfall and Stygian Rift. Voted for it.

Mine's Rift: Feels really flat.

Masoleum Ruin: I like the theme and map storytelling a lot. I think in practice it's a little flat though.

Gambit: I like this a lot. Feels like Fire Isles but less of a shooting gallery. Voted for this.

Sauna: Cool idea. I feel like the lava right between the startzone area probably won't get used. Overall solid map though.

Honor: Very pretty map shape, looks like dynamic games around the road. Voted for this.

Steer Into The Skid: Feels a little flat in the middle again.

Foothold: Solid map. Hard to theoryscape exactly how it plays with such windy roads, can't really think of another map like this. Looks like fun though.
Old May 14th, 2021, 06:25 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far! I loved reading everyone's map analyses!

My original post said the polls would close 5/14 at 11:59pm CST, but the poll on Scapers close on 5/15 at 3:10 am CST, so we'll just go with that. In case of a tie, both maps will move on to the final round.
Old May 14th, 2021, 08:23 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Some hot takes from the peanut gallery:

Styx and Stones
Like:
Triple split with the SZ is awesome barring any unfortunate all double-space figure army
Love the way the road snakes through the map
Great pun and it adds to the dark theme for me
Avoids carry type lava dunks which can swing matchups unfairly in tournament settings
Thoughts:
Love the look of the road shape but wonder how helpful it will be for development, not a big issue on this tight map probably though
No great reason except spiders and flow maybe, but I wouldn't be sad if the center lava 2-hexes dropped to lvl 2

Mine's rift
Like:
Double bonus shadow pools are cool, always been a fan
Great terrain combo visually
Thoughts:
It does seem a little undynamic with the current terraced height approach, but I'd love to be the team playing zombies on it!

Mausoleum Ruin
Like:
The theme is really apparent here which I love, I could see playing some really fun scenarios on this
Color coded SZs for easy recognition
Something about the Wannok pool just looks awesome
Thoughts:
The random glyph in the water I don't love as much, seems tough to interact with
Another case of double-spaced figure denial here with the current SZs

Sauna
Like:
Great terrain combo and great use of grass on a BtfU map that looks like it belongs
Huge split, really running with the cue.
Once again, sucker for the shadow/TJ, and really pleasing here with the central pool/tree
Thoughts:
A lot of things constricting movement here, which, it's a small map, so I think you can get away with more of that, but trying to get anyone from your 7 hex SZ forces to the rest of your forces if the battle comes to you, might be frustrating

Honor
Like:
One of my favorite SZ structures, though yes, in a perfect world it would be all sand like SF said.
I like the center glyph here and how all SZs are kind of centered around it.
I like the high ground equidistant from both of each side's SZs and the general aesthetics of the map
This one got my vote
Thoughts:
The 1-hex glaciers don't quite do it for me where they're at, feels restrictive

Steer into the Skid
Like:
The road pathing is really fun with the 3 SZ spaces speeding you towards the center
I like the difference in play between the two SZs, kind of a fast side/slow side dynamic and you did great getting a nice big split in there
Thoughts:
I do wish there were at least just a few pieces of height in the center, I feel like the road is begging to contest some snow height by the center glacier/big tree
I don't believe this map can be built as is without a few extra tiles due to large trees not fitting in holes (to my never ending frustration)

Foothold
Like:
Nice clean SZs, easy for tourneys
Love the aesthetics, really elegant sensible use of RotV terrain colors
Thoughts:
Similar to Steer into the Skid, I don't believe the map can be built as is due to the large tree placements
The glyphs are a little lopsided (7 move vs 10 move)
The LOS blocks may be better served in a few more central locations

Last edited by Ulysses; May 15th, 2021 at 01:58 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games