Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old January 20th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Ultimate Frisbee

Who all plays Ultimate here, and if so at what level?

I'm part of my college intramural team, and though it's a really small team (~20 people, co-ed) and we can't compete with the big schools, we go to two tournaments each year. We play two hours each Monday and Wednesday.

Besides being a ton of fun and a chance to goof off with friends, Ultimate is an incredible cardio exercise. I've never been an athlete, and thanks to Ultimate I'm in pretty great shape. But mainly it's fun.
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:59 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ultimate Frisbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
Who all plays Ultimate here, and if so at what level?

I'm part of my college intramural team, and though it's a really small team (~20 people, co-ed) and we can't compete with the big schools, we go to two tournaments each year. We play two hours each Monday and Wednesday.

Besides being a ton of fun and a chance to goof off with friends, Ultimate is an incredible cardio exercise. I've never been an athlete, and thanks to Ultimate I'm in pretty great shape. But mainly it's fun.
Once a month with some friends. I'm not sure of the level though.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I started playing on my intercollegiate team as a sophomore in the fall of 1996. I played all five years of eligibility, through my first two years of grad school. After that I started playing on club teams; I played on club teams of varying levels of competitiveness for about 10 years. With the birth of my second kid I haven't found the time for travelling club teams any more. Through all of this I've played summer leagues, and sometimes fall and spring and even winter leagues too.

High level Ultimate is really an amazing sport - incredibly fan-friendly. Just the nature of a flying disc leads to lots of highlight plays - that diving grab that might happen once every few games in football will happen multiple times a game (sometimes multiple times a point) in Ultimate. The sport is growing incredibly fast and in the last couple years two semi-pro leagues have begun.
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:12 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My second favorite sport, behind only Football. I don't play competitively, but would like to in the future.

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:00 PM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

I play it with some friends at college, but we don't even play intramurally... We pick different teams each time.

It's also co-ed, but there's only about 2-4 girls who join us.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:21 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Here's some youtube videos of high level Ultimate:

A good highlight reel. The early part is just introducing team names - the juicier highlights start at about the 1:45 mark, including a completely insane catch by elite player and youtube star Brodie Smith at 1:54. The first and last catches on the video are both made by Beau Kittredge, who is in most people's opinions the best athlete in the game. He could almost certainly play in the NFL, although he'd probably be no more than a special teams gunner.

Exhibition game between team Japan and a sort-of all-star team of some top USA players. Check out the big block on the second point. The USA pickup team is playing straight man to man the whole game, but team Japan plays a lot of zone. If Beau is the best "big man" in the game, then Masahiro (#10 on Japan) is probably the best "little man" in the game.

2013 US Open finals between Boston and San Fransisco. They may not get to play in the Super Bowl, but these cities did play for the title in Ultimate. Teams from these cities also faced in the finals of the first season of Major League Ultimate, a semi-pro league.

Last edited by dok; January 20th, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I play pickup weekly, year round. My level is "not bad, for a 43 year old handler."

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Here's some youtube videos of high level Ultimate:

A good highlight reel. The early part is just introducing team names - the juicier highlights start at about the 1:45 mark, including a completely insane catch by elite player and youtube star Brodie Smith at 1:54. The first and last catches on the video are both made by Beau Kittredge, who is in most people's opinions the best athlete in the game. He could almost certainly play in the NFL, although he'd probably be no more than a special teams gunner.

Exhibition game between team Japan and a sort-of all-star team of some top USA players. Check out the big block on the second point. The USA pickup team is playing straight man to man the whole game, but team Japan plays a lot of zone. If Beau is the best "big man" in the game, then Masahiro (#10 on Japan) is probably the best "little man" in the game.

2013 US Open finals between Boston and San Fransisco. They may not get to play in the Super Bowl, but these cities did play for the title in Ultimate. Teams from these cities also faced in the finals of the first season of Major League Ultimate, a semi-pro league.
Nice videos, I watched these a while ago yet forgot to comment. I occasionally will catch some Ultimate game come on one of the local channels. It's incredible to see some of the catches people will pull off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I play pickup weekly, year round. My level is "not bad, for a 43 year old handler."
Nice. You play indoors during the winter months, I assume? We move indoors around October, and move back outdoors early March. That's not as much outdoors as I'd like, but indoors is better than no Ultimate at all, plus it helps us all work on handling.
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Outdoors, on all but the worst days. I did play indoor disc for one winter. Lots of turned ankles and lots of sore, plus the one thing I do pretty well, sometimes, is throw deep, and you can't do that indoors.

I just like being outside. I played in the snow a couple of weeks ago. The week before, on a surface of rutty, frozen mud was worse. And this year I've missed a bunch of weeks because of KidScaper's youth basketball, too. Basically, though, I'd rather play outside once every couple of weeks in the winter than every week on a basketball court, breathing stale, sweaty air, and throwing scoobers instead of hucks. Give me sunshine, grass, and 80 yards, please.

= =
Old February 27th, 2021, 11:27 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
My second favorite sport, behind only Football. I don't play competitively, but would like to in the future.
7 years later... I played 4 Years collegiately (D3) and 3 years of Club. At a tournament a couple years ago I heard a couple guys from House talking about Heroscape and we chatted for a few minutes. Seems like there’s a fair few ‘Scapers that play Ultimate!

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old February 27th, 2021, 11:39 PM
Archie

Awesome stuff. I haven't played ultimate since college, though disc golf has scratched that itch for me, for the most part. There's always a few courses around and it's easy to get friends/family to try it.
Old February 28th, 2021, 12:28 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Oh man I forgot about this thread! Love to see it again.

I broke the holy hell out of my wrist in October playing ultimate. Mostly since quarantine I’ve been playing disc golf, though. The wrist is mostly recovered now.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games