Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old May 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Post C3V and SoV inclusive factions - NEW LOOK

C3V and SoV inclusive factions

Introduction and explanation:

Welcome to the updated C3V and SoV inclusive factions thread! I based this off of 1Mmirg's thread, that he based off his own thread, that he based off of IAmBatman's thread. If you want more information about the origin and thought process behind this system of organizing Heroscape units, than follow the above link.

There are several purposes of this thread, and I hope it is used by the community by more than just the ones I’m about to list. I love organizing things, but I’ve poured time into this project not just for the joy of creating order, but also for the privilege of contributing to the Heroscape community.

One thing this compilation could be used for is an aid in creating classic style customs. One could look through factions and see where they are lacking, and try to come up with creative solutions for filling the holes with new units. I thought of this with VC in mind, though I hope people who create customs outside of VC can benefit from this project as well.

Another purpose of this thread is for budding collectors. Someone might want to find out where they are lacking in their collections in respects to specific factions, in order to build their collection thematically.

I hope to expand this project to include strategy guides and synergy charts in the future, so that it may benefit people who want to build thematic armies but still want their units to work well, or people who just want to know what types of scenarios their favorite factions work in best.

Both people who previously created faction breakdown threads had different, although similar, ways of breaking the faction units into roles. I based mine heavily upon 1Mming’s system, with a few changes here and there. Without further ado, here is the different roles required for each faction:
Quote:
General:
A General needs to have three things:
1. Theme: Would this unit actually have any leadership if the faction were real? Could this unit be seen behind the lines giving orders? If you answered yes to these questions, the unit probably has enough theme. (Importance: High)
2. Unit control: While this generally means order marker management, it can also be as simple as being a prime bonding option. If the unit doesn’t have unit control, any synergy with the faction, especially other squads bonding with it, gives half pass. (Importance: High)
3. High cost: The General should cost more than the Flagbearer. (Importance: Medium)
Flagbearer:
Again, three requirements:
1. Theme: While the General sits behind the lines and gives orders, the Flagbearer fights in the front and inspires the troops. And a bonus if the unit actually has a flag. (Importance: High)
2. Faction Synergy: Some sort of power that helps other units in the faction. (Importance: High)
3. Low cost: Again, not very important, but the Flagbearer should cost less than the General. (Importance: Low)
Unique Hero:
Another Unique Hero other than the Flagbearer/General to really flesh out the faction. (Importance: High)
NO OTHER REQUIREMENTS.
Special Unit:
This just has to be a Common/Uncommon hero or a Unique Squad. Again, this is just to flesh out the faction. Only one requirement, so: (Importance: High)
Ranged Bread and Butter:
Requirements:
1. Range: If this unit has no range, it doesn’t belong here. (Importance: High)
2. Bread and Butter: The unit needs to be common. A high priced unique squad will give a half pass, but only in extreme circumstances. (Importance: Medium)
Frontline Lockdown:
This is your unit you use to tie your opponents figures down, so your rangers can pick them off from... well, range. The unit needs to have:
1. Multiple figures: You aren’t going to send a single hero out to tie down all you opponents squads (at least, I hope you aren’t). The unit needs to have some sort of swarm factor, whether it be unique or common squad, or a common hero that bonds with itself. (Importance: High)
2. Defense: It’s not going to help to have a Frontline Lockdown that dies before it reaches the opponent. The unit has to have high defense, (probably at least 4) or it has to have a good defensive ability (the Warforged Soldiers Warforged Resolve being a good example). (Importance: Medium)
Shocktroops:
Shocktroops can be summed up in one sentence:
1. Move fast and Hit Hard. (Importance: High)
But they also need to have:
2. A Swarm Factor: Again, this usually just means it’s not a unique hero. (Importance: Medium)
If a faction has all of these, they will be considered complete. There are also a few additional roles that I came up with, (mostly out of necessity, or my constant need for sub-categories) that are not required to complete a faction, but are instead just icing on the cake. They are:
Quote:
Support:
These are units that have good synergy with the faction, but don’t fit into the Flagbearer role. They need:
1. To Not be the Flagbearer: Pretty obvious. (Importance: High)
2. Have Synergy with the Faction. (Importance: High)
Honorary Unit:
These are units that have the synergistic requirements with the faction, but don’t quite fit theme-wise. They must:
1. Have some sort of synergy with the faction. (Importance: High)
and
2. Not quite work thematically. It is usually units that almost fit into the faction, but not quite. (Importance: High)
Other:
These are units that are definitely part of the faction, but don’t fit into any of the preset roles.
[/spoiler]
I have also created a color key to help you keep track of what different colors symbolize:

Color Key
Spoiler Alert!

Also in this thread, I’ve included a few ideas for what the missing units to each faction might look like. If you have any ideas of your own, please comment and let me know! You never know when your idea might inspire a custom that could be nominated for the SoV later, or maybe a C3V designer that peeks his head in!

First, we have the completed, the finished, the done! These factions have passed the harsh requirements on what a completed faction looks like, and they stand proud! The compiled and victorious

Complete Factions:

Samurai
(Complete)
Samurai faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Orcs
[]
(Complete)
Orc faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Marro Swarm
[]
(Complete)
Marro faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Death Borgs
(Complete)
Death Borg faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

We now come to the factions that are so close to completion, the ones that are on the edge, ready to be tipped over into the winners circle. These factions need only one more role filled before they will be complete, one more unit to make them whole. Please enjoy the compiled

Near Complete Factions:

Disciplined Soldiers
(Missing: Special unit)
Disciplined Soldier faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Agents
(Missing: General)
Agent faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Primadons
(Missing: Special Unit)
Primadon faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Varkaanan Packs
(Needs General)
Varkaanan faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

We now come to the faction that are sadly lacking, the ones who have a bit to go before they can become "complete" on this list. Some are farther than others, but all are compiled here

Incomplete Factions:

Drow
(Incomplete)
Drow faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Undead Army
(Incomplete)
Undead faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Undead Swarm
(Incomplete)
Undead faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Wolves and Demons
(Incomplete)
Wolf and Demon faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Mummies
(Incomplete)
Mummy faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Tron Borgs
(Incomplete)
Tron Borg faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Warforged
(Incomplete)
Warforged faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Mariedian Resistance
(Incomplete)
Mariedian faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Jungle Creatures
(Incomplete)
Jungle faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Dwarves
[/]
(Incomplete)
Dwarf faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

American Soldiers
(Incomplete)
American faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Cronborgs
(Incomplete)
Cronborg faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Knights
[]
(Incomplete)
Knight faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Gladiators
(Incomplete)
Gladiator faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Vipers
(Incomplete)
Viper faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Elves
[]
(Incomplete)
Elf faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Berserkers
(Incomplete)
Berserker faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Lawmen
(Incomplete)
Lawmen faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Martial Artists
(Incomplete)
Martial artist faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

These are the odd, the strange, the factions that can't, don't, or won't follow the same rules as other factions. These guys are the quirky armies that usually stretch across all different generals, yet still land in a unifying theme. Presenting the compiled:

Weird Factions:

Kyrie
(Incomplete)
Kyrie faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Dragons and Lizards
(Missing: Shocktroops)
Dragon faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Elementals
(?)
Elemental faction breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Now we get to the orphans, the people without a faction. Some may get factions in the future, but only time will tell. Read ahead for the

Factionless:

Factionless Einar

Factionless Jandar

Factionless Aquilla
Spoiler Alert!

Factionless Vydar

Factionless Ullar

Factionless Utgar

Factionless Valkrill

Anyway, I hope this thread was enjoyable and/or helpful. If you have any suggestions, just comment! I appreciate all the feedback I get. I'll continue to update as more units are released and to make it easier to navigate. Keep on `Scaping!

~ES

Last edited by Evar-Scarcarver; October 7th, 2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: To make it look awesome
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Re: C3V and SoV inclusive factions-UPDATED

Wow, great thread Evar. I disagree with some of your classifications, but each person will see the terms "general" and "flagbearer" differently. I see them too literally; a general is like Kato or Daishi while a flagbearer is like Ornak, Gilbert, or Su-Bak-Na.

The Undead need range, huh? The Americans could use some more soldiers, too. I'd love to see another Cronborg as well.
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:31 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Great thread, thanks for taking up this mantle.

I think you can put Elaria the Pale in with the Drow since she has synergy with Estivara.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker

I don't really agree with some of your classifications when it comes to the "general" and "flagbearer" ranks.

A "general" has to give OM management. A "flagbearer" needs to give some sort of buff.
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:55 PM

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive Lord 1233 View Post
I don't really agree with some of your classifications when it comes to the "general" and "flagbearer" ranks.

A "general" has to give OM management. A "flagbearer" needs to give some sort of buff.
I agree that in some factions the term 'General' is a little forced, but other factions it's nearly impossible for the general to have OM manipulation because of a large amount of bonding squads.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:17 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Good job putting this together!

On the Agents faction, since the Gorillanators are included (which I do agree with), then Laglor should be included as well and he is the natural flagbearer.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evar-Scarcarver View Post
Quote:

I agree that in some factions the term 'General' is a little forced, but other factions it's nearly impossible for the general to have OM manipulation because of a large amount of bonding squads.

Thanks for the feedback!
In these cases, couldn't you designate their General as None Needed due to bonding synergies? It seems less forced.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:49 PM

Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

In these cases, couldn't you designate their General as None Needed due to bonding synergies? It seems less forced.
I agree.
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

I agree.
xed this in some factions. I will work more on this when I have time.
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Daishi definitely does something for the martial artists. The ninjas may need their own faction now.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:08 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

With the Samurai Faction, you have the Ashigaru switched around. The Yari are the melee and the Harquebus are the ranged.

I don't really understand the classification for the special unit either. Zettian Guards? Nothing special there.

I also think some of your "near complete" factions could be considered finished. The Trons really don't need anything more, nor do the Elves, nor do the Disciplined humans. I can't imagine what you would need to add thematically or in terms of play for a more complete faction than those!

Other than that, cool list!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; May 29th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
With the Samurai Faction, you have the Ashigaru switched around. The Yari are the melee and the Harquebus are the ranged.

I don't really understand the classification for the special unit either. Zettian Guards? Nothing special there.

I also think some of your "near complete" factions could be considered finished. The Trons really don't need anything more, nor do the Elves, nor do the Disciplined humans. I can't imagine what you would need to add thematically or in terms of play for a more complete faction than those!

Other than that, cool list!
A special unit is a unique squad/(un)common hero. Most of the reasoning behind what makes a faction complete can be read here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=37091

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs