Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker
GenCon 2008 "Jumpstart" Battle Reports

My Army:

Major Q9
Marro Stingers x 3
Deathreavers x 2
Isamu

My intended strategy for “Jumpstart” was to tie up DW9K with rats, and focus more on taking down the opposing army. Order markers were tricky in this event – if you take over DW9K, you can’t get order markers on him until the next round. Lose DW9K, and you're boarded units are similarly left "hanging in the breeze".

Match 1 vs. Spider_poison on “Little Ramparts”. I’d never paired off against SP before – what kinda luck does it take to pull this level of competitor in your first game at GenCon?!? I knew the competition would be tough, but geez!

Spider­_poison played: Skahen, DUND!, Laglor, Krav, Otonashi

My jitters from sitting across from SP were somewhat relieved when he pulled out the Doggin.

I opened with the ‘reavers, creating a rat-roadblock between Vydar’s troops and the Utgar soulborg. Spider moved Dund and Skahen into position.

In the next round Dund payed off, removing the “1” and “X” order markers from my ‘reavers and preventing an early DW9K takeover. Skahen took potshots at my Marro, moving the Krav closer to the central bridge with each kill.

I gambled in round three, placing all order markers on my Stingers. Actually, it was less gamble than oversight – who’s really accustomed to worrying about Crippling Gaze? Luckily, Dund missed his mark and my Stingers were free to attack. I wouldn’t have to worry about the hound again.

My rats did their job, eventually boarding the Deathwalker and tying up Skahen and her fellow agents long enough for Q9 to do his thing. I lost all but one Stinger, and a good number of rats. I came away pretty impressed with how well Spider managed such an offbeat army – and a bit embarrassed for sporting such a cheesy one!

Result – win.

Match 2 vs. Lonewolf on “Turret Rocks”. First Spider_poison, now Lonewolf?!? What a welcome to Heroscape at GenCon!

Lonewolf played: Well, refer back to my army!

Apparently Lonewolf and I had similar thoughts about this event, running identical warbands.

Lonewolf won the opening initiative roll, sending his rats toward DW9K and securing the Astrid glyph. Likewise, I sent my ‘reavers in the same direction to prevent an early Deathwalker grab.

Over the next few rounds, our Stingers battled for the rocky ledge below the “Turrets”. With an extra attack die, Lonewolf’s Marro were mowing down my own at an alarming rate. When there were no Stingers to attack, LW would send a shot or two toward my rats, eventually freeing up the broken down Deathwalker. It wasn’t long before I was out of Stingers and looking toward the Major to carry the day. Unfortunately, Q wasn’t up to the task.

Result – loss and elimination.

Lonewolf would go on to win this event. Between my loss to the champ and our choice of identical armies, in the end I felt alright about my choices for this event!

Last edited by Kahrma; August 23rd, 2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Army error
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: GenCon 2008 "Jumpstart" Battle Reports

I think you forgot to list the Krav in Spider's army.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp12 View Post
I think you forgot to list the Krav in Spider's army.
Absolutely right! Fixed.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
My intended strategy for “Jumpstart” was to tie up DW9K with rats, and focus more on taking down the opposing army. Order markers were tricky in this event – if you take over DW9K, you can’t get order markers on him until the next round. Lose DW9K, and you're boarded units are similarly left "hanging in the breeze".
Karhma, was DW9K ever effectively jumpstarted and utilized?
I really like the scenario concept.
Good report!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Good report!
Thanks!

I did board DW9K with 3 rats, and placed an order marker or two on the Deathwalker in the next few rounds. I moved DW adjacent to Skahen to keep her off my Stingers, if memory serves. May have done the same against Laglor. What can I say, the rats were driving!

In my second game, a couple of Lonewolf's rats used DW9K's special attack early against my own 'reavers. Lonewolf eventually boarded DW9K - again using rats. I don't recall DW getting any order markers in that game, however - I was busy gettin' stomped
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrma View Post
Quote:
Good report!
Thanks!

I did board DW9K with 3 rats, and placed an order marker or two on the Deathwalker in the next few rounds. I moved DW adjacent to Skahen to keep her off my Stingers, if memory serves. May have done the same against Laglor. What can I say, the rats were driving!

In my second game, a couple of Lonewolf's rats used DW9K's special attack early against my own 'reavers. Lonewolf eventually boarded DW9K - again using rats. I don't recall DW getting any order markers in that game, however - I was busy gettin' stomped
I think that I put one order marker on the DW9000, moving him from his original position to the attack +1 glyph and taking a regular attack against Q-9. I think this might have been the attack that did Q-9 in, but I can't remember?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrma View Post
Quote:
Good report!
Thanks!

I think that I put one order marker on the DW9000, moving him from his original position to the attack +1 glyph and taking a regular attack against Q-9. I think this might have been the attack that did Q-9 in, but I can't remember?
Oof, now that's a Deathwalker!
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

We had a really tough heat for this. Out of the 8 players in our heat, at least 4 of them made day 2 of the Championship (spider_poison, lonewolf, gamjuven, and Kahrma) and then there was me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
We had a really tough heat for this. Out of the 8 players in our heat, at least 4 of them made day 2 of the Championship (spider_poison, lonewolf, gamjuven, and Kahrma) and then there was me.
Cleon was in our heat as well. He went 3-2 and almost the second day as well.

We did have a tough heat!
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Tough Heat? I think that is the fault of the guy running the thing.

I appreciated everyone's pateicne on Jumpstart. It was squirrelly and while the late hour rules changes were needed, I made the mistake of not being fully up on them. Bad me!

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports