Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Have "swarm" armies survived Raknar's expansion?

I haven't had many opportunities yet to play with my new Raknar's Expansion "Squadie-Killers" (AKA: Braxas, Nilf, Q9), but I'm really starting to wonder how those three behemoths have impacted the ever-so-popular squad-bonding armies we all love and hate so much... Orcs, Romans, Knights, McDirks....

I'm looking forward to more games in the near future with those 3 figs, but I'm also starting to think of how I can draft AGAINST squad killers like them...

If my opponent picks Braxas, can I really still build a successful Orc army? If Nilf is sitting on the other side of the battlefield, staring balefully at my small army of McDirks, dare I charge them into the "killing fields"? If I'm towards the end of a draft, where I'm building a Viper/Elf Frenzying army, and my opponent has enough points left to grab Q9 to top off his army... should I cry now or after my serpants and pointy-ears are smoldering piles of carbon...?

For those of you who have played numerous games with the new expansion baddies, how well can squad heavy armies stand up to these new brutes who view squadies as nothing more than an all you can eat buffett? Is the day of the big-bonding-army over?

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:58 PM

Oprime is surprisingly tart
Well I have to say dont worry, Ive seen it both ways.

Just this last week in my massive battle

Braxas easily wiped out a squad of 4th mass and some hapless squad members, while later in the same game Q9 was taken down by Alistar and a squad of Macdirks.

I play with them enough not to worry to much when they are fielded opposite me. I do respect them though.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:31 AM

Joe's Fury has disabled reputation
Snotwalker 8000, fight with no fear. I've used orc armies (blades twice and archers once) in 3 tournament battles against Major Q9 and successfully killed him. As for the Ice Dragon, I've annilated him with gorillanators at a home battle. And I've seen Braxas taken down by Airbones Elites.

But it can go both ways. It pretty much depends on how well you play them and of course how well you roll your dice.

Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:06 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
I agree with what's above. While trying out a new map this weekend, Nilfheim was used in 7 battles against an army that was always composed of all commons. He did really well in 2 of the battles, but almost always was easily overcome by superior numbers (in one battle a unit of Microcorp Agents took him out in one turn). You want to know who was the real bane of the common units that battle? Shotgun Sullivan. When he stepped into crowded areas, whole units were blown away in single rounds of shooting. Glorious. The new expansion may help against horde armies, but is no guarantee.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
Nice to see the game retaining it's balance! Sweet............

-Ski
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
i have only played one game with RV and that was yesterday, and my luck sucked. i moved in with braxas to use her acid on 2 KMA and Syvarris. I roll a 4 for the KMA, a 15 for Syvarris, and a 5 for the other KMA in that order. Later, Braxas tries it on Carr, Realin and Izumi, killing Raelin (full health) and an Izumi Samurai. Nilfheim was my primary charos kiler, until KMA's came after him...I would have used Q9 to engage charos and special him to keep him from moving etc, but he died a few turns earlier....
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM

gorillanator has disabled reputation
All I know is that the Krav are always going to retain their balance against figures like Nilfheim and Q9.

It's figures like the KMA and the EOV that help Heroscape retain its balance.

Violence is not the answer.

Make peace!
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Recently my son and I have been fielding a lot of melee common units against some of the bigger boys. I can say that Nilfheim can certainly hold his own against a few units of unassisted MacDirks. The Shaolin gave him a lot more trouble. And the Obsidians did quite well against him too.

Old July 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Have "swarm" armies survived Raknar's expansio

I think the game is still well-balanced, overall.

Some of Wave 4.5 were designed to kill squads, that's for sure, but swarming remains one of the best tactics in the game. If you wield 10 squads of Vipers, you will still have more than a fighting chance against the guy that's only wielding 2 to 4 big guys....being able to lose huge numbers of troops while attacking 3 or 4 or more times a turn against multiple figures is a HUGE advantage, no matter how big the foe.

Also, large heroes can be brought down by other heroes, which should be supporting your squads in most cases.

Braxas is unable to use her power against large figures like Marrden Hounds and Swog Riders. Q9 can be easily tied up to prevent him from shooting lots of squaddies...same with Nilfheim. Jotun falls to range fairly often.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion