Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old February 12th, 2016, 02:59 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: How balanced are AotP units to classic 'scape?

I've played AotP and Heroscape armies together a few times. I've yet to see any results that indicate they are not more-or-less balanced against each other. Planeswalker armies dwell like super-sharks. They burn really hot but tend to burn out really fast. They have hugely efficient turns and are very good at early board control. But if the opposing player can outlast the various tricks the PWs have up their sleeves then they have a good chance.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Agreed @capsocrates , @Tiranx and I wanted to test out compatibility as well between AotP and Heroscape, and that seemed to be the case as you described. We were surprised at how well they work playing together. Watch our battle video below and see what you think about playing them together.

Arena of the Planeswalkers Meets Heroscape
Spoiler Alert!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 25th, 2016, 08:02 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I stand by my initial statement when MTG:AOTP first came out--that we Heroscapers got a nice Christmas present in the new game from common designer Craig Van Ness. I think he planned the compatibility very consciously, while fulfilling Hasbro's aims for MTG as well, which is yet another example of how he's pretty smart. So let's give him the credit he deserves, instead of nit picking about the new game, for gosh sake!

Thanks for the videos, although I don't know why you consider them 'spoilers.' My comments:

Part I: Your opponent made a mistake on his first turn, by summoning his squad after his Planeswalker moved up. The rule in Magic Arena (MA) is that it must be done before activating the PW. This offers an interesting decision: do you get them on the board quickly but advance your PW ahead of them, or wait a turn to get them more quickly into the "Front Line?"

Part II: PW spells can get used up fast. So although they can be nastly, after a few turns the PW becomes far less powerful.

Part III: And when the PW goes down, its almost all over for their team! With both general play and the point system for partial victory scoring of any type, fighting an MA team is mostly about the PW. Although the Zendikar expansion just introduced Unique Heros; they are also considerable figures on their own, and almost as good as PWs.

See my early thread in this Blender section on combining the games: "Porting AOTP into Scape." MY six simple rules on the OP include adding Order Markers to MA/Blended play. You also get a more detailed Turn Sequence, which everyone agrees on, and is most needed as the initial MA rules edit.

Last edited by chas; February 25th, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:34 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Haha 'spoiler' is an easy way to post the videos without taking up a ton of space in the thread

Great feedback! I thought it was a little OP that he was able to move and then summon within five spaces, but we are still new to AotP, and overall I think a good test run even with our mistakes. I think you evaluations of out game are spot on. That was one thing I noticed was that as intimidating as playing with spell cards was and how powerful they are, my overall feeling was my units are expendable. the heroscape swarm factor with common squads can really do in a Planeswalkers simply by numbers.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:19 PM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker

Sweet job guys THANK YOU !!! And Hell YEAH to Ness !! I mean I'm one of the people taking this to the Ultimate level an playing a Planeswalker WITH CLASSIC MAGIC THE GATHERING DECKS..so far the hardest part is point values and proxie figures!

ALL ARE ONE
Old February 26th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-IVD View Post
Sweet job guys THANK YOU !!! And Hell YEAH to Ness !! I mean I'm one of the people taking this to the Ultimate level an playing a Planeswalker WITH CLASSIC MAGIC THE GATHERING DECKS..so far the hardest part is point values and proxie figures!
umm...his last name is Van Ness. Two words, one name.
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:54 AM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker

Yes ...yes... it is Van Ness ..Kinda like Von Doom ..With respect DOOM . >:P Besides who cares if he drives a Van ?? Hoser! Don't worry your still one of my favorites here.

ALL ARE ONE
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:40 AM

Another play test with putting together AotP and Heroscape. There is a part 2 to the video...but there is no need to see the second half for the purpose of this thread.

April 15, 2016: Arena of the Planeswalkers Meets Heroscape
Spoiler Alert!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:05 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"It would have been GLORIOUS!"
--Klingon Leader, Organian Episode, Star Trek TOS

A terrific game; bet you're happy you filmed it! I happen to love the Drow, and Kelda is one of my personal favorites. (BTW, you guys do have faces, don't you? I'd rather see them when you are introducing the game).

Shurrak was a great match up for The Eldrazi Ruiner, and I loved when Pelloth sacrificed the Drow right next to it. Where did you find that map? It looks like one I'd want to use.

PART II

NOT LAVA DEATH! OH NO!!! Luckily, Kelda's not dead, just 'defeated,' 'cause its Valhalla. Whew.

Venomous Sting!?! Boy, everyone is getting to to his/her thing today, aren't they? ITS GLORIOUS!

Better give those Drow a Hiding In Darkness refresher course...

I personally am not taking AOTP too seriously by itself until the Fall, when we get Common Squads, and enough cards to actually Deck/Army build. So its a perfect time to do combo games right now. And I agree that they work just fine.

Chas

Last edited by chas; April 19th, 2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old April 18th, 2016, 03:51 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
"It would have been GLORIOUS!"
--Klingon Leader, Organian Episode, Star Trek TOS

A terrific game; bet you're happy you filmed it! I happen to love the Drow, and Kelda is one of my personal favorites. (BTW, you guys do have faces, don't you? I'd rather see them when you are introducing the game).

Shurrak was a great match up for The Eldrazi Ruiner, and I loved when Pelloth sacrificed the Drow right next to it. Where's you find that map? It looks like one I'd want to use.

PART II

NOT LAVA DEATH! OH NO!!! Luckily, Kelda's not dead, just 'defeated,' 'cause its Valhalla. Whew.

Venomous Sting!?! Boy, everyone is getting to to his/her thing today, aren't they? ITS GLORIOUS!

Better give those Drow a Hiding In Darkness refresher course...

I personally am not taking AOTP too seriously by itself until the Fall, when we get Common Squads, and enough cards to actually Deck/Army build. So its a perfect time to do combo games right now. And I agree that they work just fine.

Chas
I think that map is Dance of the Dryads. I had the map built for a small scape event in the past, and it was a good time.

I'm also excited for commons to hit AotP. But if I can get my wife or one of my friends to play a game of RotV scape vs AotP base game, I'll record it. That's the game I'm most interested in seeing until commons show up in AotP.
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post

Chas
I'd have to agree with that. I enjoy playing the mixed battles b/c it adds something fun to Heroscape with new units and specials but I still haven't gotten to the point where AotP on it's own will demand my attention.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoney View Post
I'd have to agree with that. I enjoy playing the mixed battles b/c it adds something fun to Heroscape with new units and specials but I still haven't gotten to the point where AotP on it's own will demand my attention.
I think the fall expansion is really going to be the make or break point for a lot of players in your situation. If they handle it right it can add the right amount of added flexibility and squad building.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender