Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old December 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
Re: 4th Edition D&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumline3469 View Post
Anyone who suggests playing a Bard or having a Bard in your party clearly can't be trusted on the issues at hand...
That's the thing; from what I understand, the bard is no longer a mincing, singing fop barely on the edge of usefulness. Apparently, he heals now. Where did that come from?
The healing comes from his inspirational music. He makes you forget your fatigue and bump and bruises.

Last edited by Kepler; December 18th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone who suggests playing a Bard or having a Bard in your party clearly can't be trusted on the issues at hand...
That's the thing; from what I understand, the bard is no longer a mincing, singing fop barely on the edge of usefulness. Apparently, he heals now. Where did that come from?
The healing comes from his inspirational music. He makes you forget your fatigue and bump and bruises.

Sounds un-thematic. If I were battered, bruised, and fatigue and some fairy looking queerosexual started singing me songs, I'd punch him in the face and ask where the heck he was when the goblins were killing everything. I liked it better when Bards were useless comic relief.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds un-thematic. If I were battered, bruised, and fatigue and some fairy looking queerosexual started singing me songs, I'd punch him in the face and ask where the heck he was when the goblins were killing everything. I liked it better when Bards were useless comic relief.
Un-thematic for a Bard to be inspirational? That is what a Bard does. In 3.5 Bards could heal also (the Cure spells were on the Bard spell list). They had the same BAB as clerics so I assume they could fight decently too (but I never played one).

What version of Bard are you use to?
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

I'm pretty sure what I've played with my dad was 1st Ed. Advanced and 2nd Ed. and his buddy played a bard and never did anything ever. He was absolutely worthless and just RPed singing and dancing and being comic relief... Admittedly I was young when we did that, like 10 or so and I never played for very long.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure what I've played with my dad was 1st Ed. Advanced and 2nd Ed. and his buddy played a bard and never did anything ever. He was absolutely worthless and just RPed singing and dancing and being comic relief... Admittedly I was young when we did that, like 10 or so and I never played for very long.
Ah, I see. It was probably 2e. In 1e Bards were like a 3e prestige class. You had to get x levels of fighter and then y level of thief just to qualify for Bard. The only time I ever saw someone play a Bard in 1e was when we were playing a high-level adventure ith pre-generated characters.

I never played 2e so i don't know anything about 2e Bards.
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, I see. It was probably 2e. In 1e Bards were like a 3e prestige class. You had to get x levels of fighter and then y level of thief just to qualify for Bard. The only time I ever saw someone play a Bard in 1e was when we were playing a high-level adventure ith pre-generated characters.

I never played 2e so i don't know anything about 2e Bards.
Well there's a bard in Baldur's Gate II (D&D2.5) that kicks some serious ass. He dual wields short swords, has attack spells, and yeah, he can rip a fine tune on his lute if you needed him to (not that you did, because it was a video game).

Second Wind isn't the only ability that heals. I know barbarians have Recuperating Strike (they're also the ones with the elemental damage I mentioned, not the fighters), and I know there are a few other similar abilities. We've gone up against some really tough encounters (two PCs at level 3 against a level 6 encounter intended for four) and come out on top without a leader or controller.

Sweetcurse and I have already made it pretty clear how 4e is like a video game, and you have come up with any examples of how 3.5 is such (other people who are not authorities saying it does not make it so).

I'd like to reiterate (again, since some people seem to be looking over my posts) that I haven't been really into D&D for long. I've been playing 3.5 for maybe three months, and 4e half that. I experience 2.5 back in the day because of Baldur's Gate and other games, but can speak nothing of their role-playing value. I find 3.5 to be a lot more fun and more supportive of role-playing, while 4e seems to be combat-focused (which is the main thing that makes it like a video game).
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
his buddy played a bard and never did anything ever. He was absolutely worthless and just RPed singing and dancing and being comic relief...
That's what Dungeons and Dragons is about to me. Having fun pretending to be someone else, and kicking the occasional ass if you get around to it.
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Cthulhu1979 is surprisingly tart

I'm just going to toss in my two copper pieces on this subject. The gameplay experience with a table top, pen-and-paper RPG is highly dependent on the person that is running the game and the people who are playing it.

While D&D of all stripes is centered on combat, that is not all there is available to do while around the table. 4th edition even tossed in their skill challenges in order to reward players XP for doing things such as climbing mountains or making a treaty with a hostile nation.

Regardless what the system is like, it is up to the person that is running the game (and to a lesser extent those playing it) whether or not you will be just mindlessly killing monsters or exploring a world of adventure and intrigue.

Visit my short fiction and photography site by clicking here.
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu1979 View Post
I'm just going to toss in my two copper pieces on this subject. The gameplay experience with a table top, pen-and-paper RPG is highly dependent on the person that is running the game and the people who are playing it.

While D&D of all stripes is centered on combat, that is not all there is available to do while around the table. 4th edition even tossed in their skill challenges in order to reward players XP for doing things such as climbing mountains or making a treaty with a hostile nation.

Regardless what the system is like, it is up to the person that is running the game (and to a lesser extent those playing it) whether or not you will be just mindlessly killing monsters or exploring a world of adventure and intrigue.

Word. As I showed in an earlier post its all about the DM not the system.
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM

For those that haven't made the jump to 4e yet, then try the new Essentials line that will be released in a couple months. These 4e products have more of a classical D&D feel to them for me while still using the 4e rules. Here are a few preview articles that have been posted lately.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.a.../drfe/20100706

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.a...dramp/20100709

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.a...dramp/20100716
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

I actually started a D&D adventure about 3 weeks ago using the Keep on the Shadowfell. It was actually funny. My friends and I were playing heroscape and I'd be talking about the D&D aspect of heroscape and then alluva sudden one of the players just blurted out, "Why don't we start a D&D group?" Myself, and everyone else at the table, immediately agreed with the idea. I was elected as the DM. My only experience with Table Top D&D is with my previous D&D group and they were veterans but had recently gotten 4th edition, so obviously I don't know what I'm missing, everyone I talk to says 4th edition is terrible, but I like it just fine. I've played D&D on the computer, Baldur's Gate 1&2 +xpac. Icewind Dale 1&2. Temple of Elemental Evil by Atari. Anyone got any tips to pass along? I've been adding my own personal quests, and characters into the game, also giving the party an enchanted Item here or there.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardris1287 View Post
I actually started a D&D adventure about 3 weeks ago using the Keep on the Shadowfell. It was actually funny. My friends and I were playing heroscape and I'd be talking about the D&D aspect of heroscape and then alluva sudden one of the players just blurted out, "Why don't we start a D&D group?" Myself, and everyone else at the table, immediately agreed with the idea. I was elected as the DM. My only experience with Table Top D&D is with my previous D&D group and they were veterans but had recently gotten 4th edition, so obviously I don't know what I'm missing, everyone I talk to says 4th edition is terrible, but I like it just fine. I've played D&D on the computer, Baldur's Gate 1&2 +xpac. Icewind Dale 1&2. Temple of Elemental Evil by Atari. Anyone got any tips to pass along? I've been adding my own personal quests, and characters into the game, also giving the party an enchanted Item here or there.
What books and accessories (I.e. Combat grids, miniature, etc.) do you have?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games