Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old January 18th, 2008, 05:51 AM

KingZombie is surprisingly tart
What is the single best terrain piece in your opinion?

I have jumped in w/both feet and was wondering what piece people think is the single best for construction?

The 3 hex piece? 2 hex piece? Etc? Or maybe it's the lexan maps to save you having to use pieces?

So far from all of the pics I've seen... the straight pieces used for the bridge look really, really cool. I can see ALOT of uses for those. I plan to sit down with my son tonight and an empty card table and create something. That's the imputes for this question.

Work hard, play harder!
Great traders: beholderthedm,mecha frog, Shoe
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:58 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
In terms of building a map to play a game on, I'd say I use the 7-hex the most, simply because most of the time I am too lazy to make a map that looks awesome. Well, I suppose the 24-hexers are the ones used the most, but that's a natural because they are the base for every map. I just want a map to playtest on or something. Now when I want to make a map that is more showcase rather than practical, those bridge pieces and castle pieces come in handy. I'm a big fan of giant bridges.

The best-looking terrain so far is by far the marro hive, if you can consider that terrain. I have dreams of a giant swampland filled with expansion 8.5 trees, tons of swamp terrain, and a bunch of marro hives everywhere, with a giant stone ziggurat in the middle, so cool.
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker
It's hard to say. Maps almost always start with the largest pieces and work their way down to smaller pieces to fill in gaps or sculpt some pretty height. As for which piece I like most for the general purpose of map building, I'd have to say grass

I guess if I had to really choose, I'd agree on the 7-hex as well.
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
To answer your title: The one Cyprien is standing on....

I always look at it as trying to use up the big pieces first unless I have a special plan to use them later in the build.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM

thaddeus p whirl has disabled reputation
I think the 24-hexers make or break a map right from the get-go, so I'm gonna go with them. If you start off bad, no amount of the smaller tiles will save you.

I also feel this way because when I come up with a concept in my mind, I build the basis for it with 24-hex tiles. The smaller tiles give the maps flavor and add a lot of fun, but you have to start with a good foundation.
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
I'm going to be specific. I like the single hex road/castle tiles that come in the fortress set. They can be used as road tiles or they can be snapped onto the wall pieces, making them dual purpose. They look great and I never seem to have enough of them.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
I really like battlements.
And the 2x4 that locks the castle door.

9 RotV - 4 SotM - 5 DDMS - 2 MarvelScape - 7 RttFF - 6 FotV - 5 VW - 4 TT - 4 TJ - 5 GC Xclusive - 6 FB's - 1,561 Figures - 7,147 Hexes - 174.24% Complete -
(All for just $4,000 BUCKS)
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
I like the big tree pretty nice, but when it comes to map construction the sum is greater than the parts. It's the way in which the map builder combines the elements which makes a piece perfect.

As they say in real estate...
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Junge Roman has disabled reputation
The bridge piece!
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quality - It has to be the Trees
On a Map - I like the large glacier, great LOS blocker and obstacle.
Concept - The HEX
Detail - The Hive

Basically I like all the plastic pieces - they are all good in their own way

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:00 PM

champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker
The five hex piece is quite useful for support when making natural overpasses from one hill to another.

Long live Heroscape.
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
Definately the trees. They do so much to even out things between ranged and melee units....

-Ski

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion