Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 7th, 2018, 12:23 PM

Bsoder52 knows what's in an order marker Bsoder52 knows what's in an order marker
Heroscape Storage

So I'm wondering what the most optimal storage solution is for this awesome game? First though want to say thanks for all the great content and information on this site. My kids and I love this game and this site has a been a great help to us in learning the right way to play this game, (still learning), and a great resource for adding components to our set-up which is rapidly growing.

I started out getting some of the cheap tackle boxes from walmart, but now after a half dozen of them and no more room for figs I need to find some other solution I feel like, and one that can handle the growing collection.

I found a large tote is great for the land and gallon ziplocks for the single and water tiles. My main concern is the figs storage. I want a way to access them easily but minimize the space for storage if there is suck a way.

Thanks in advance for any replies or links!
Old June 7th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Storage

What I wish I had done years ago is store them in sets by set. Pull out Swarm of the Marro Master Set carton, and you know what you have. And so on.

The advantage of that system is that you will be building maps from designs you download from this wonderful site (thank you for the kind words), and they will tell you what sets they use: "Sacrifice (SotM x2, TJ x2)." Or something like that. Then, when you're building Sacrifice, you know you need 2 SotM sets and 2 TJ sets.

What that will mean for you at home is that you won't be in the situation I am, which is that when you want to build one fairly simple map, you have to haul out 50 pounds worth of terrain. The water is one place; the stone singles and doubles are in another; the big pieces are in one giant tub and the columns are in another giant tub, with the ruins. For instance. So I basically have to turn my basement upside down to build one or two maps, when if I had them organized by set, then I could take out what I need, build it, and leave the basement looking nice while I'm out of the house.

You can tell yourself that you have a small collection (which you might or might not), but the problem with separating it all out is that it becomes, over time, impossible to imagine breaking it all back down to its component sets.

My .

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 7th, 2018, 05:07 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Totes for everything. I have three totes: One stores figures, one stores the hex terrain, and the last stores the objects and accessories (marro hives, castle sets, marvel warehouses, glaciers, etc. along with dice, wound markers, glyphs, etc.)

Never thought I would get past needing two totes, but here I am.
Old June 7th, 2018, 05:08 PM

DOAisBetter knows what's in an order marker DOAisBetter knows what's in an order marker

It’s not cheap but what is. I currently have 8 Sterilite 2093s for figures, 1 2932 for larger figures and terrain, and a 2930 for terrain and odds and ends. That holds pretty much everything for me. I store figures by general so as long as you have the card for it they are easy to find. Big figures are not stored this way but they are easy to find since they are all in 1-2 drawers.
Old June 7th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

What I do for figures, I should have said, is I use mountains of reusable food storage containers from the dollar store.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 7th, 2018, 05:39 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I fit the samll-medium figures in a Stanley Carrying Case and larger case for larger figures and dice/glyphs

The terrain I keep in 3-Compartment Plastic Drawer Unit - fits in my closet or the back of a car.

This post is outdated (needs new links) but still relevant
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Have got sleeves from HouseMouseGames, eBay user stowoodbury, and that came with a large craigslist order, but just ordered the Snap-N-Store CD Storage Box from TigerDirect.
Old June 7th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

To go along with what Dad_Scaper said, storing terrain by set is a really good idea. There are directions on the downloads section for terrain bricks that makes that easier. It would be a lot easier to pull out a terrain brick and make a map than to pull out my terrain drawers and pull out the 6 grass 24 hex tiles from one drawer, the 2 rock 24 hex tiles from another drawer, and so on.

For figures, most of mine were in Plano tackle boxes that I got from Wal-Mart and the plastic "milk crates" from Wal-Mart. I don't remember what numbers they were, but there were 2 types that I had. The smaller ones would go 4 to a crate, the larger would go 2 to a crate. Those would hold all but about 6 of the big guys, and it was pretty easy to store and transport, if a little large.
Old June 7th, 2018, 11:01 PM

Bsoder52 knows what's in an order marker Bsoder52 knows what's in an order marker

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I got some things to consider that's for sure! Much appreciated.
Old June 8th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I'm pretty sure these are the Plano tackle boxes I had:

The crates (this is a 3 pack, but you can usually find singles in store):
Crate

The tackle boxes would fit into the crates and the crates could still stack. Two stacked crates could easily be picked up at a time.
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:29 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

For figures I use the boxes that are similar to the ones Agent Minivann posted. Except I get them at Michael's when they are on sale plus I use the 20
5 coupon. I bought them 2 at a time every time we passed by for a while. I don't have a lot of classic so my mainly Super Hero collection is sorted by theme. I have a box full of Mutants from the X-Men world, a Spider-man and friends and their villains box, a Gotham City box (Batman and family vs Batman Rogues) etc. For me it streamlines army building in that if we want to do a themed battle we only need to pull out one box and it has the good guys and the bad guys.

I have another box that olds a four player set of OM, Dice, D20, round marker, wound markers, and player order disc that we use for initiative order (just four wooden discs from the craft store numbered 1-4 with a sharpie...nothing fancy). I have a similar set of small boxes for Glyphs and other Markers. These sit on the top shelf of the cabinet.

Each box is labeled and coincidentally fit perfectly in an Ikea hand me down entertainment center we have in our play room. one shelf has all the Marvel boxes stacked, one DC, and one everything else. On the other side of the TV is all my classic figures and the taller/special terrain...trees, rocks, glacers.

For terrain I've gone back and forth on the storing them by set bricks and split out. Currently I have a shallow, roll under your bed type of tote that keeps me from having to dig to deep to find things. I keep all single spaced tiles in ziplock bags and all double spaced tiles stacked and rubber banded so they lay on their side in the tote. The rest are stacked in the tote by type and size with all my 24's stacked on the top of the lid.

I'll probably go back to the "by set" next time we reorganize later this summer. I stopped the "by set" when I realized there were maps I wanted to build that I didn't have the full set of pieces but I could proxy and hide other filler tiles under the hidden tiles.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion