Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old April 25th, 2009, 12:58 AM

Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

I just got done reading "The Silent Blade" by RA Salvatore. It is the 11th book in a series involving Drizzt Do'Urden.

I am just about to start reading "Brew Like a Monk - Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them". I think I'm going to try and brew my own beer of the coming year.

My Maps
Upcoming M.A.R.S. (Mid-Atlantic Regional 'Scapers - PA/MD/NJ) Events Thread
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:42 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandarforever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Just finished "Prey," by Crichton, and "Thr3e," by Dekker.

I'm about halfway through "Eaters of the Dead," also by Crichton.
I've been interested in reading "Eaters of the Dead". Is it any good so far?
Well, it's sure different than his usual scientific disaster novels.

It's basically the accounts of a Arab Muslim and his travels with a Viking group in about 700 AD (I think it was).

So far it's really good, and I think I'm more than halfway through it already. But it seems a lot shorter than most of his stuff, though.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
Well, read my first ever Stephen King. I read Cell since I love zombie stuff. Anyway, I wasn't terribly impressed with the writing. It was good and serviceable and the plot was good and fun, but the prose was just ok, like I could have written that (not a compliment). I felt that rather than original, he was indulgent. LIke he was putting out there indulgent ideas and social and political whinning rather than prose.

Now I'm reading The Graveyard Book to see if I read it to my class. Now Gaiman is a writer! Just a joy to explore his sentences and words, just great al around. A little scary for kids maybe, but he is a genius.
In my opinion, The Dark Tower series by King is the best stuff he's ever written. Don't judge his work by Cell or any of his books he put out after his "retirement."
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just finished "The Last Dog on Earth" By Daniel Ehrenhaft. True to it's name, nearly every dog in the book is killed by a horrible disease called POS. Despite that, it does not seem overly sad. Sure, the truck carrying stacks and stacks of dead dogs was a little...gruesome. But for the most part, it doesn't suffer from being too cruel. The book is written from the perspective of the main character, Logan Moore, who is your average angst-ridden 14 year old whose dad walked out on him when he was seven. His mother is a push-over, and he refers to his step dad as "The all-knowing-master-of-everything." His sarcastic writing adds humour to the story, and helps cover the dead dogs impact a little bit.

The sarcasm also helps the story seem more realistic. He dreams of blasting his step dad, the Boot camp Sergent, and others from the boot camp with his LMTUD (Logan Moore Torpedo of Ultimate Destruction) are exactly what any other kid (or myself at least) would do in his position.

While I hate dogs dying, I liked the story a lot. You knew the dogs were all going to die, so it wasn't really that bad. Not even when Logan's dog Jack (who's a girl) dies, you know it was going to happen. Even when he gets shot by a rabid human, you knew that was going to happen.

While not the best book, I liked it. It was a decent way to spend a few hours.
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

EP you should definitely check out Little Brother by Doctorow.

Heres a review (Spoilers!)

DWARVES!
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Finished Stephen King's The Shining a couple of days back.
I had read it as a teenager, but at this stage in my life with a wife, kids, professional career, alcohol(though not alcoholic!), the story resonated better for me.

The hedge animals were much more exciting this time around too.
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Finished Stephen King's The Shining a couple of days back.
I had read it as a teenager, but at this stage in my life with a wife, kids, professional career, alcohol(though not alcoholic!), the story resonated better for me.

The hedge animals were much more exciting this time around too.
The Shining is one of my favorite King stories. I think he does short stories a lot better than novels, but there isn't any extra added in to the book.

DWARVES!
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's basically the accounts of a Arab Muslim and his travels with a Viking group in about 700 AD (I think it was).

So far it's really good, and I think I'm more than halfway through it already. But it seems a lot shorter than most of his stuff, though.
This is the book from which the movie "The Thirteenth Warrior" staring Antonio Benderas as the Arab was based. Antonio Benderas as an Arab? Not a bad movie actually considering how few movies there are about vikings. I have meant to read this book for some time. Thanks for the reminder.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is the book from which the movie "The Thirteenth Warrior" staring Antonio Benderas as the Arab was based. Antonio Benderas as an Arab? Not a bad movie actually considering how few movies there are about vikings. I have meant to read this book for some time. Thanks for the reminder.
Yeah, I heard that Crichton liked how the movie turned out, even though the ratings weren't that great. I may pick it up sometime.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
While I hate dogs dying, I liked the story a lot. You knew the dogs were all going to die, so it wasn't really that bad. Not even when Logan's dog Jack (who's a girl) dies, you know it was going to happen. Even when he gets shot by a rabid human, you knew that was going to happen.
Geez! Ever hear about posting a SPOILER ALERT!?! Some of us might be reading this. I'm not, but, you know...just sayin'.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

And now that you've quoted it, two people will have to edit their posts.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

So we're reading the book Night in English class, and 20 pages in, one person asks "Is this book about the Holocaust?"

*facepalm*

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books