Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old July 24th, 2020, 06:19 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] Ozuul (Eldrazi Ruiner) - Editing

Onto playtesting.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 24th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Ok. Please update the OP with the following and add a link to the Editing Checklist.

Quote:
GRAVITY PULL
After moving and before attacking, Ozuul may use Gravity Pull. One at a time, each non-adjacent small or medium figure within 2 clear sight spaces of Ozuul must be placed by its owner on any empty space adjacent to Ozuul, if possible. Figures moved with Gravity Pull do not take any leaving engagement attacks, but non-flying figures will take any falling damage that may apply. After using Gravity Pull, Ozuul must use Crushing Vortex Special Attack.

CRUSHING VORTEX SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 4.
All figures adjacent to Ozuul are affected by Crushing Vortex Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.
Suggested R&Cs:
Quote:
Q: What happens if Ozuul Gravity Pulls a figure that is not owned by any player?
A: The player who controls Augamo chooses an opponent who must place the Rammed figure.

Q: If both a Gladiatron and a figure affected by its Cyberclaw are two clear sight spaces away from Ozuul, what happens?
A: It depends on the order the two figures are chosen. If Ozuul's owner first chooses the Cyberclawed figure, it will not move. The Gladiatron can still be chosen and moved. After the Gladiatron moves, the Cyberclawed figure can not then be chosen again to be moved. If the Gladiatron is moved first, and is moved to a position where it no longer Cyberclaws the other figure, the other figure could then be moved by Gravity pull.
Old July 28th, 2020, 09:55 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: Custom
Spoiler Alert!

Army 1: (L) Ozuul (190), Gorillitroopers x2 (210) 400 pts
Army 2: (J) Motley Max (135), Dienekes (90), 12th Caucasus Rifles x3 (180) 405 pts

Versions tested:

Ozuul
Spoiler Alert!

Dienekes
Spoiler Alert!

Motley Max
Spoiler Alert!

Which units survived? Three Gorillitroopers and Isamu.

Turn by turn summary
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Ozuul dealt 3 wounds to Motley Max with his normal attack, and killed 4 Caucasus rifles with his special attack.

Motley Max rolled for chain grab twice, only succeeding once. He rolled for engagement strike once and failed. With his normal attack he dealt one wound to Ozuul and killed one Gorillitrooper.

Dienekes never rolled for Tether of Logos and failed to deal any wounds to any figures.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Ozuul Thoughts
Despite receiving 5 wounds during the first two turns of the game (a result of me miscounting the 12th caucasus threat range), Ozuul went on to still kill about ~180 pts worth of figures (4 Caucasus and three wounds on Max). The wounds on Max were crucial in weakening him enough for the Gorillitroopers to finish him off with minimal casualties. Overall I’m happy with this version of Ozuul. I think he’s somewhat difficult to use effectively, but that makes for a fun design with a high skill ceiling. If anything were to change, I think I’d like to try Ozuul out with 6 move instead of 5. In both games I’ve played with him, there have been several times that I’ve needed one more movement point to get within the optimal positioning to use Gravity Pull. However, he still definitely works fine with the five move; it's just a possible dial to tweak if he seems to be underperforming.

Dienekes Thoughts
Dienekes didn’t do much at all this game. J waited until the rest of his army was dead before putting any order markers on him. Since I led with Ozuul, Tether of Logos wouldn’t have been effective at defending the Caucasus anyway. I think Dienekes also requires more skill than many other figures to get value out of, and I don’t think J used him optimally this game.

Motley Max Thoughts
I think Max is in a relatively good place. I don’t necessarily think an adjustment to his engagement strike roll is necessary, although I also don’t think the change will be hugely impactful either way. I was expecting him to do more damage to the Gorillitroopers than he did, as in theory that’s kind of an ideal matchup for him (extremely high cost medium squad figures). However, Ozuul was able to get in a solid hit on him before dying, so that the Gorillitroopers were able to finish Max off before he was able to wreak too much havoc. He’s a very fun unit and J mentioned specifically that he really liked the design (I think the theme and sculpt helped here too).
Old July 28th, 2020, 06:27 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

NB, that's your OP.
Old July 30th, 2020, 04:56 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: Custom
Spoiler Alert!

Army 1: (L)Ozuul, Zettian Infantry x2, Deathwalker 9000, Dienekes
Army 2: (J) 12th Caucasus Rifles x3, Gorillitroopers x3, Kursus

Which units survived? Ozuul and Dienekes with full life. 1 Zettian infantry.

Turn by turn summary
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Dienekes never had an order marker placed on him, and Tether of Logos was never relevant.

Ozuul used gravity pull three times. Each time either gave him a positioning advantage or pulled an enemy within strike range. He used Gravity Crush to deal 1 wound to Kursus and kill 3 gorillitroopers. He used his normal attack to kill 1 12th Caucasus Rifle.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Once again, Dienekes didn’t have much of an impact on the outcome of the game. Against melee squads I could see him being effective, but against anything else it seems like he requires too many order markers to position. Since he has weak offensive output, these turns are typically better invested in just using your ranged units.

Ozuul is very fun to play and I think is in a great place design wise. His 4 attack special attack was even more effective against the Gorillitroopers and their Tough defenses than I would have predicted. I really like the dynamic of Gravity Pull and Crush, and I think that the mechanics that were settled on for how Gravity Pull works are the best they could be.
Old July 30th, 2020, 10:21 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for the tests, Captain Stupendous! I'm glad to see that Ozuul is playing well.

@NecroBlade , do you mind updating the title of this thread and adding the link to the Editing Checklist to the OP?
Old August 9th, 2020, 09:15 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Sorry guys. Updated the OP with a link to the checklist, R&Cs (including changing the Augamo reference to Ozuul ), and playtests. writing up a few playtests of my own now...

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 9th, 2020, 10:05 AM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

For all 3 games:

Map: Once Upon a Hill

Army 1: Ozuul, Sonlen, Tarn Viking Warriors
Army 2: Death Chasers (DC) x4, Raelin, Me-Burq-Sa, Nerak

Game 1
Which units survived?
8 DC, Raelin (5 Life).

Tun by turn summary:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play? Pull and Crush were only used once to set up a decent attack. Opponent always has to play around them, though, trying to use a single DC to block an advance for Ozuul that could Pull a lot of figures.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? Ozuul only did 87 points of damage, but could've doubled that with an initiative win. Even 4D/8L goes down quick to attacks of 4. The combination of powers gives both sides something to think about.

Game 2
Which units survived?
8 DC, Nerak (1 Life), Raelin and MBS full

Tun by turn summary:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play? Pretty much the same as the first game.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? Ozuul only survived long enough to get one use out of both powers, and that only did 37 points of damage. Pretty poor rolls on defense and normal attack. Again, winning initiative changes that number. Still have to think about counter-play, but rushing and killing him is also working... too well. I think he needs to be played a lot more carefully.

Game 2
Which units survived?
Sonlen (1 Life)

Tun by turn summary:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play? Ozuul was finally really able to leverage both Pull and Crush! Despite the enemy's efforts he pulls off (pun intended) a couple big Pulls into a couple good Crushes (7/12 skulls total).

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? This time Ozuul racked up 245 points of damage, finally earning its points and then some. The power set is really fun to set up, but takes some luck to really do damage (DC defense rolls were bad). It can creates a sense of panic when it hits a good roll, as it opens things up to look like it'll just steamroll. Disengaging to set up Pull/Crush feels good.

Overall Ozuul didn't quite perform as I would hope. Part of that is army composition, as obviously the enemy was a complete build while Ozuul was just paired with something that made a decent "second wave". Averaging just 123 points kinda sucks, however the key is clearly caution (and winning initiative a lot...). If it can patiently time Pull/Crush, especially on an initiative switch, it can simply devastate the opposing army. Surprisingly it didn't really feel like it ever pulled much out of position, which would be a nice side benefit to Pull, but as it was a melee army they were coming in anyway, and Raelin was still able to cover with her aura. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Ozuul does with 6 Move, but I also wouldn't want to completely trivialize counter play of engaging/blocking with a unit at a time to prevent Pull/Crush setups.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 13th, 2020, 04:43 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Interesting. I would have thought he'd do better.
Old August 14th, 2020, 11:27 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Yeah, Ozuul certainly under performs in many of his games. I won't be surprised if we have to drop his cost to about 180 to account for this.

When LoveElemental played him vs my Elf Wizards he was a little better, but still not that good.

I don't really see upping his move as being the one key to really making him strong. After all, his ability encourages risky plays a la Avernus.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 16th, 2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
his ability encourages risky plays a la Avernus.
Yeah, it's basically the same problem. You want to maximize his ability, which leads to putting him in questionable positions. Especially if you whiff the attack, which then feels extra bad. I think we need more playtests with extra cautious play, though, to see if he can hit that 245+ point game at least a percentage of the time.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 17th, 2020, 05:47 PM

Having him be upper mid 100s wouldn't be the worst thing, either. 160-170.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs