Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old September 18th, 2007, 05:26 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
I completely agree with answering good questions with answers and links to the correct threads. Even a gentle nudge torwards, "hey there are lots of these things posted so have a look around, if you have any questions PM me and I will try to help" is not that bad I don't think.

But here is my question...you knew it was coming :P If the guy asks what isyour favorite flavor of Ice Cream...Vanila, Strawbarry, or Chokolate

and then adds a big poll to boot...can I razz him :P ..........please Just a little
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
Maybe you don't bring the snark that way, but others do. Incidentally, you may want to read the words you're choosing. "Victim?" "Hit?" What are we, Heroscape enforcers? Anyway, I fully believe in educating people about the benefits of reading their rules and looking up FAQs. I just don't think a signal of disapproval is necessary to do so. Then again, maybe I haven't dealt with enough people who are consistently and willfully ignorant. If you have, my sympathies.
To my mind, snark is something you would "hit" a "victim" with, sure. I don't see the mistake. Maybe what you mean by snarkiness isn't what I thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
It's simple guys!!! Not hard at all!! Be nice! Be helpful! Or just simply don't post in response to the poor unsuspecting noobs! You can be firm AND helpful!! I know this for a fact. I don't want to see any of you "reprimanding" a person for asking a question YOU might think is dumb. There's just no call for it.
Reading a card or manual is simple, too. Why are you putting all the pressure on the one who answers the question and none on the one who asks it? If I ask a question that's covered in the manual, and you give a rude reply, we're both wrong. If you're going to stickify your complaint about bad replies, how about some kind of RTFC sticky to combat these stupid questions?
You mean something like this:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=6970

Newb.
Just wondering, is that PMed to all new accounts that are created? Not that it would really help when people aren't even reading manuals...
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Maybe, but like I said, this thread is not about how to fix the newbies. It's about how to treat them. Just a simple (for some) reminder that we should welcome new members and help them without being rude.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Aranas has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
....2. When someone posts a question answered in it, we can make sure to not answer the question right there, but link to the FAQ, so they've got to read it....
I think this is a good way to handle it. Give them a short answer and a link to the answer, the page of the rule book, the faq, an already existing thread with the answer in it, etc.

Most members will be pleased to be directed to the answer. If they still do not understand, their next question will be more to the point.

I also like the idea of Dictatorbilbo (I added the part about FAQ) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorbilbo
for those who need a little extra help being nice ;

Quote:
Hello, insert_name_here! I'm glad that you came here for your Heroscape Question Needs!

The answer to your question is yes/no/other, as illustrated in the following;

Quote:
insert_card/rulebook_quote
While the crew here at Heroscapers encourages new players and their questions, we would appreciate it a ton if you would take the time to fully read the rule book/cards and the official FAQ. Many questions can be resolved through this easy and enjoyable exercise! But, if they can't, we are more than happy to field your questions!

Thank you, and Have a Super-Splendid Day!

~insert_name_here, stealing Aldin's thing. :P
And last but not least, we can each add an answer to a MCMM to our sig. (MCMM: Most Commonly Made Mistakes)

Aranas

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Quote:

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX-127
Quote:

On tombstones!!!???

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
LOL! Stone tablets similar to those with the 10 Commandments (or 15 Commandments according to Mel Brooks ).

Be Nice=The Law!

Newb.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I think this should be applied across the board, not just to asking and answering rules questions.

I've noticed the dog-piling around the boards when it comes to pointing out spam and duplicate threads. If someone creates a duplicate thread or creates a thread that is possibly spam, be nice about it. We don't need 10 people all pointing out that a thread is spam or 10 people telling that person to search the boards. Once is enough, if you can be nice about it!

If its a duplicate thread and you want to help, post a link and move on. If you don't want to help, don't post.

If you think something is spam or non-sense don't post in that particular thread, if it is truly spam, it will get locked down eventually. Remember that just because you think its spam doesn't actually make it spam.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
LOL! Stone tablets similar to those with the 10 Commandments (or 15 Commandments according to Mel Brooks ).

Be Nice=The Law!

Newb.
Correct.

Also see The Golden Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
I think this should be applied across the board, not just to asking and answering rules questions.
Agree!
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX-127
For some reason all I can think of is Sir Mixalot.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Teal'c has disabled reputation
Well, being a newbie to this forum myself (but not a newbie to being a member of a forum), I have to agree with GB, and wholeheartedly disagree with rdhight. The reason GB is reprimanding the users who pile on (instead of the newbies), is that the newbies don't know any better, when asking the question! They are new to the forum, and being rude at that point will just inflame them, or cause them to leave. Veterans, however, do know better, and should also know better about proper behavior towards others on the forum, so that's why GB is asking ppl to be civil.

In reading this whole thread, one thing I found shocking is Cavalier's response to the newbie's question (about counterstrike). Personally, I found his response much more rude than bloody's, since he just posted army card pics and said "figure it out" (he even implied that the newbie was an idiot a couple of posts later). What really ticked me, though, is that his custom tagline says "Trainer of N00bs"?!?! If he is a trainer of newbies here, and is being a jerk, why would anyone stay here? If I was treated like that for the first question here, I would have reported him to an admin, and probably left the site permanently.

Anyways, thank you GB for this reminder. It's encouraging that someone is trying to keep this forum friendly, so let's try our best to do so! It's really not that hard!

"In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!!!
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Works for me. Anyone over 200 posts is fair game? Cool! Time to go bait Malachi!

~Aldin, thinking some sort of Irish joke might work....

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's