Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old July 25th, 2008, 04:16 AM
PinkGuy

serpentor is surprisingly tart
Re: Watchmen movie....link to pictures!

I just finished reading watchmen a couple of days ago.(It was recommended to me by the owner of my local comic book shop when I told him I was bored this summer and wanted a good graphic novel) I must say, it is quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever read in my entire 16 year old life. I found some parts kind of slow, but I realized their importance later on. I never read From Hell or LOEG or seen the movies so I cannot comment on that. I did however read 300 (after I saw the movie)and I thought it was okay, and I thought the movie was really good.

Back to Watchmen
I sincerely believe this would have been an excellent mini-series on HBO. the fact that Allen Moore has nothing to do with this scares me, they can change anything they want, and no one is going to tell them no. The way I see it, a watchmen movie should be "Oscar-ish". I don't see this making a good Hollywood blockbuster, action, comic book movie. the store, as stated previously, has little action, and alot of dialouge, that sound exactly the opposite of an action comic book movie. it seems like it will be an action movie though. i do agree with alan Moore on this one thing, it should have been left the way it is. I mean, the guys kind of a nut job, but he's right about that, something that unique, groundbreaking, and awesome, should not be changed, or shortened in any way.

I also expect alot of people going out and buying the graphic novel, so they can say they liked it before it was cool(this happens all the at my school), and hating it. I let my friend read some of it when he was over and he said it was boring and was dumb because it wasn't very "comic book-ee".

i'm not sure why, but one part of the book really got to me...emotionally, like no other book has done, the part when Rorschach and Nite-Owl are in "Archie" under the water, and Rorschach apologizes for being difficult to be friends with after Nite-Owl went off on him. It actually made 2 tears roll down my cheek. No book has ever made me come close to that...If the movie does the same, I will say it is good...
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation

loeg and from hell are good books too, loeg black dossier is hell coll but sad it is in englisch and has some copy rights hurts so it is forbidden to sell in europe . but i got it and hell idind not understand most of the things.
from hell very cool the notes at the end are asome. loeg 1+2 great the movie suck like from hell(it is total other story like lxg)

watchmen it is hard to say, as crime story it will not work running time and background infos, pirat stoy, how can his go in one movie.
maybe the dvd is 240 minutes long .

i think it is possiebel to dod that filming all live action cut some ou make a movie. and all the book staff reading in the dvd fom the aktors + pis and delated scens..

but vendetta was awfull im some changes and the point of the story.
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!

I have refrained from this discussion because I very skeptical where or not this will be the Watchmen story or the Watchmen characters. I share Allan Moore's distrust of those in charge of bring this to the big screen. Yes the trailer looks good, but this movie could have been done without all the gloss and still be great because their is an important story to tell. The problem is going to be fitting that story into one movie. How long is this movie going to be 3, 4 hours. I can not see this fitting into a typical 1 and half to 2 hour movie there just way to much pot to cover.

The other three Moore creations to become movies have interesting fates. The League of Extraordinaire Gentlemen was absolutely demolished in extraordinaire ways. From Hell suffered from a change in perspective from the villain being the main character to the hero as is typical Hollywood style, very good movie not Moore's From Hell. V for Vendetta has fared the best of the lot, the altered political message and removal of the drug references did not effect the story much at all. What I dislike was the fundamental changes to V, from he is portrayed as ruthless, willing to kill anyone who gets in his way to romantic freedom fighter who shows concern over the loss of innocent life. I think the movie also suffers from the loss of "Fate" the big brother like computer. Good movie not quite Moore's V for Vendetta

It's funny though Allan's best work remains unfinished. Big Numbers is the one story that a director could have taken and made a movie straight from the images on the page, like Sin City. This book is written like a rolling camera as each panel represents 8 seconds of real time and is about chaos theory and spacial geometry affecting the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentor View Post
I just finished reading watchmen a couple of days ago.(It was recommended to me by the owner of my local comic book shop when I told him I was bored this summer and wanted a good graphic novel) I must say, it is quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever read in my entire 16 year old life. I found some parts kind of slow, but I realized their importance later on. I never read From Hell or LOEG or seen the movies so I cannot comment on that. I did however read 300 (after I saw the movie)and I thought it was okay, and I thought the movie was really good.

Back to Watchmen
I sincerely believe this would have been an excellent mini-series on HBO. the fact that Allen Moore has nothing to do with this scares me, they can change anything they want, and no one is going to tell them no. The way I see it, a watchmen movie should be "Oscar-ish". I don't see this making a good Hollywood blockbuster, action, comic book movie. the store, as stated previously, has little action, and alot of dialouge, that sound exactly the opposite of an action comic book movie. it seems like it will be an action movie though. i do agree with alan Moore on this one thing, it should have been left the way it is. I mean, the guys kind of a nut job, but he's right about that, something that unique, groundbreaking, and awesome, should not be changed, or shortened in any way.

I also expect alot of people going out and buying the graphic novel, so they can say they liked it before it was cool(this happens all the at my school), and hating it. I let my friend read some of it when he was over and he said it was boring and was dumb because it wasn't very "comic book-ee".

i'm not sure why, but one part of the book really got to me...emotionally, like no other book has done, the part when Rorschach and Nite-Owl are in "Archie" under the water, and Rorschach apologizes for being difficult to be friends with after Nite-Owl went off on him. It actually made 2 tears roll down my cheek. No book has ever made me come close to that...If the movie does the same, I will say it is good...
serpentor,
I just wanted to comment on a few of things in your post. You make some very astute observations. Your right this shouldn't be an action movie, more of a thriller drama. I fear for the flying bus fight as well.

Allan Moore isn't crazy in any way shape or form, he is one of the most intelligent people you could every meet. A little eccentric yes, weird or crazy no. One thing he is, is pissed off at Hollywood for changing his creation into something he never meant them to be.

You my friend are ready to more on from the typical Marvel and DC comics fair into the wonderful world of sequential storytelling. Their many graphic novels out there as good or better than the Watchmen. Don't worry what your friends think you have taken the first step into to what is possible. I'm sure the your comic shop owner can recommend some other great books to you but I want to recommend one book "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. Not a comic book per say but mandatory reading for anyone interested in the graphic story.

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!

I'm not as worried about Watchmen. Snyder was very faithful with 300, and has promised to take as much care with Watchmen. Also post-editing, the movie clocks in at 3 hours, which is a good sign. I do suspect though that this movie will bomb. It is not the film most people expect a comic movie to be.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!

MrB when he did 300 Frank Miller was there doing as much direction as Snyder. Also this was shot using the comic book pages as templatesd for each as was done with Sin City. On such thing is being done on Watchmen.

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation

the only part in 300 that was not good was the queen story, the scens were funny as hell, "i rape you slut of queen..., haha you loose *****"(irony) shlash , ping ping "xerxes cois"!!!!!! "trailor!!!

that was the stupid thing like sf the movie 100000 bison $
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmospro View Post
MrB when he did 300 Frank Miller was there doing as much direction as Snyder. Also this was shot using the comic book pages as templatesd for each as was done with Sin City. On such thing is being done on Watchmen.
True. But the difference in size between these two stories is large. Not sure they could do it like that.
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:57 AM
PinkGuy

serpentor is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmospro View Post
I have refrained from this discussion because I very skeptical where or not this will be the Watchmen story or the Watchmen characters. I share Allan Moore's distrust of those in charge of bring this to the big screen. Yes the trailer looks good, but this movie could have been done without all the gloss and still be great because their is an important story to tell. The problem is going to be fitting that story into one movie. How long is this movie going to be 3, 4 hours. I can not see this fitting into a typical 1 and half to 2 hour movie there just way to much pot to cover.

The other three Moore creations to become movies have interesting fates. The League of Extraordinaire Gentlemen was absolutely demolished in extraordinaire ways. From Hell suffered from a change in perspective from the villain being the main character to the hero as is typical Hollywood style, very good movie not Moore's From Hell. V for Vendetta has fared the best of the lot, the altered political message and removal of the drug references did not effect the story much at all. What I dislike was the fundamental changes to V, from he is portrayed as ruthless, willing to kill anyone who gets in his way to romantic freedom fighter who shows concern over the loss of innocent life. I think the movie also suffers from the loss of "Fate" the big brother like computer. Good movie not quite Moore's V for Vendetta

It's funny though Allan's best work remains unfinished. Big Numbers is the one story that a director could have taken and made a movie straight from the images on the page, like Sin City. This book is written like a rolling camera as each panel represents 8 seconds of real time and is about chaos theory and spacial geometry affecting the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentor View Post

Back to Watchmen

serpentor,
I just wanted to comment on a few of things in your post. You make some very astute observations. Your right this shouldn't be an action movie, more of a thriller drama. I fear for the flying bus fight as well.

Allan Moore isn't crazy in any way shape or form, he is one of the most intelligent people you could every meet. A little eccentric yes, weird or crazy no. One thing he is, is pissed off at Hollywood for changing his creation into something he never meant them to be.

You my friend are ready to more on from the typical Marvel and DC comics fair into the wonderful world of sequential storytelling. Their many graphic novels out there as good or better than the Watchmen. Don't worry what your friends think you have taken the first step into to what is possible. I'm sure the your comic shop owner can recommend some other great books to you but I want to recommend one book "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. Not a comic book per say but mandatory reading for anyone interested in the graphic story.
Yeah, reading what I said, I did sound kind of harsh. I'm sure Moore is extremly intellegent. Eccentric is much nicer way of putting it though. He recomended me Walking Dead volume one, but he didn't have it at the store so he told me to buy it on Ebay(as long as I bought vol. 2 from him) Has anybody here read those?
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post
I'm not as worried about Watchmen. Snyder was very faithful with 300, and has promised to take as much care with Watchmen. Also post-editing, the movie clocks in at 3 hours, which is a good sign. I do suspect though that this movie will bomb. It is not the film most people expect a comic movie to be.
I say keep the movie at 3 hours! All the more to (hopefully) enjoy! I recently dusted off & read my Watchmen again for the first time in 20 years... I read in EW that the film will be rated R...I'm sure there's no way to properly tell the story with a PG-13 limitation...

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Scape_Scrub11 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Those images don't look too encouraging. I might not catch this one in the theaters just so I don't get a bad taste in my mouth. I feel pretty attached to the wonderful source material.
And I'd echo - if you're into superheroes at all and you haven't read this, you really should. Best superhero graphic novel ever written. Period.
I agree this is a must read for any comic fan!

I will be interested in seeing how they put it on film, my guess they do the old "Da Vinci Code". Make it more action then story, which upsets me.

Last edited by Scape_Scrub11; August 5th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I forgot here is the link to the Comic Con posters they had on display....

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/2.../comiccon.html

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM

oni is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
I forgot here is the link to the Comic Con posters they had on display....

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/2.../comiccon.html
I have the original French and English poster set from back in the 80's.

It's in storage and beat up from being put on my walls in college. I should go dig them out now.

</IMG>

Feed the newbs! Link to a common HS topic in your signature.
Storage ideas
What Should I get next?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies