Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:25 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Obfuscatedhippo - Customs from Kai

Nice to see you doing some customs of your own!

I recommend putting all of your designs in the OP. It makes it easier to review your work.

Devlin Skyhawk
I love the theme of the Chronomancer. Chronomaster's Insight is an especially interesting power. Technically you should have multiple common card wording, but the concept is clear. With the boost from Insight I feel he's a bit on the cheap side. How has playtesting gone?

Xaxier Lawson
This guy is unexpectedly powerful due to being a Human Champion. He adds a powerful auto-wound attack on top of his normal attack, giving Knights a virtual 6th attack. He's also a solid champion for the MacDirks given his life and defense total. The price tag might make up for all this though. Again, have you tested him much?

Delandria
Neat overall concept, but unfortunately Displacer Cloak doesn't really work. The fact is that only attacks have a targeting phase, so you are playing in an undefined and unclear space. In fact, many special powers don't actually target anything in the normal sense. For example, can she use Displacer Cloak when affected by Helm of Mitonsoul? How about Knockback? How does it interact with Swirling Vortex? Or Soul Weapons? Or Mortal Strike? Take out the special powers and you have something, though in general I'm also against powers that trigger during the targeting phase of special attacks; that gets really messy with some specials. I really love Haste.

Ellen Stone
Ellen has the problem of "turn stacking," where other figures take a turn while Ellen is taking her turn. This gets messy when with duration of turn powers and is a slippery slope of stacking turns. Instead I suggest to having the extra turns happen after Ellen's turn with the restriction that she couldn't have attacked during her turn (like the Command Courier). Brothers in Arms is stepping into dangerous territory, giving the ability to modify special attacks, which is in general a no-no because special attacks, by definition, are not bound by game rules and can do whatever they like. Though since you are limiting it to Lawmen and Snipers you are probably ok. The Legend Continues is also dangerous (what if a Lawman had a viking-like Spirit power?), but still probably safe since it's so limited. Regardless, pretty interesting design. Combining her with Guilty would make her crazy powerful, and adding in Johnny or James would give her two Shotguns a turn.

Frostwolf of Toril
Pretty potent for a common hero; it would be worth it just to purchase one for the back of your starting zone to get order marker freedom, though only in limited builds (like multiple GIEs). I warn against doing an after-turn bonding power though, since it raises the question of what happens if the wolf dies during its turn and you still have other Frostwolves. It would be cleaner if Conjured Companion let the other unit go first like normal bonding. Question: if a GIE and a Frostwolf were one water space apart, what type of tile would that water space become? Which converts the space first, the GIE or the Frostwolf? You get different results depending on the order.

Gald'rabok
Ice Storm is an interesting twist on an explosion attack; allowing him to target himself is a seemingly small thing but really opens up his options. If you are going to reuse Cold Healing, it needs to match the Feral Troll's, otherwise just give this one a different name.

Commander Kaelex
Pretty solid commander. Three Drow Chainfighters per order marker would be pretty potent, actually. It's difficult to measure the value of figures like these, but given his decent stats and Deadman Switch, I think he's significantly underpriced. Compare him to Kurrok or Kato.

Alpha-Prime Enforcer
The mix of Guard Patrol Bonding and Bodyguard Detail is a bit confusing, but I think it works. The Commander+Enforcer combination looks to be quite potent. Power-axe is a neat power.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:20 AM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Thanks for the feedback, Scytale!! I know that I could use the help on some of the wording .. which is why it is so great when the community chimes in with feedback/suggestions.

I'll admit that some of these figures are on the powerful side.

The Northwest Customs group that I belong to work on more "balanced" figures for sure, and some of these were simply for fun.

NW Customs
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=49331

Devlin Skyhawk
I love the theme of the Chronomancer. Chronomaster's Insight is an especially interesting power. Technically you should have multiple common card wording, but the concept is clear. With the boost from Insight I feel he's a bit on the cheap side. How has playtesting gone?

Kai:
I have play-tested Devlin in conjunction with Ellen Stone. He made a great addition to the Lawmen faction, and Ellen helps get all of them into the game with her Bonding special. Devlin did work pretty well, and his Chronomancer’s Insight is very nice when it works. Even if you don’t get a big bonus for an OM revealed, you are at least getting a preview for what your opponent is doing next. And late in the round, you know that OM # 3 is out there : )

The double-special attack is good against Deathreavers (since they can’t Scatter and roll less defense). It is particular good when stacked with Ellen’s Brothers in Arms ability to re-roll an attack die.

I think Devlin at 85-points is probably an A- figure.

Ellen Stone

Ellen has the problem of "turn stacking," where other figures take a turn while Ellen is taking her turn. This gets messy when with duration of turn powers and is a slippery slope of stacking turns. Instead I suggest to having the extra turns happen after Ellen's turn with the restriction that she couldn't have attacked during her turn (like the Command Courier).
Brothers in Arms is stepping into dangerous territory, giving the ability to modify special attacks, which is in general a no-no because special attacks, by definition, are not bound by game rules and can do whatever they like. Though since you are limiting it to Lawmen and Snipers you are probably ok. The Legend Continues is also dangerous (what if a Lawman had a viking-like Spirit power?), but still probably safe since it's so limited. Regardless, pretty interesting design. Combining her with Guilty would make her crazy powerful, and adding in Johnny or James would give her two Shotguns a turn.

Kai:
I can change the language around Lead the Peacemakers to avoid turn stacking.

Brothers in Arms is particularly dangerous – re-rolling a special attack is a little silly but the Lawmen are generally weak with their normal attacks of 2 dice. If you think it is broken, then it could be limited to just normal attacks.

The way that Ellen Stone plays is a great deal of “risk/reward.” You can march her out with her normal move – not attack – and let two other Lawmen take a turn. If Ellen engages the enemy, then Brother’s in Arms is a great asset to pick off opponent’s figures next to Ellen. But if you don’t clean up those figures – all of your Order Markers might be left on Ellen – leaving you vulnerable.

The Legend Continues looks powerful on paper but it doesn’t kick in that often in play-testing. Once your opponent realizes that all of your OM’s are on Ellen .. then she is typically the first target. She’s more likely to fall before “the Legend” clause kicks in. In play-tests, I was able to get James Murphy on her card and she rocked the Whip and Shotgun. It didn’t last long but it was fun. The ideal is of course Guilty going down first, so that she becomes a 4-die, double attacker. At that point, you’re attacking with her and not taking turns with other Lawmen but it is probably later in the game. The fun part is that Guilty’s double attack doesn’t specify that he must attack normally so if Ellen has a Shotgun and Guilty she can double special attack. Of course that means 95 points of characters are already dead and are now on Ellen’s card.

She’s probably a B+/A- figure at 120-points because the Lawmen really need help.

Xavier Lawson
This guy is unexpectedly powerful due to being a Human Champion. He adds a powerful auto-wound attack on top of his normal attack, giving Knights a virtual 6th attack. He's also a solid champion for the MacDirks given his life and defense total. The price tag might make up for all this though. Again, have you tested him much?

Kai:
Xavier is pretty awesome, though he’s very slow with just a 4 Move. He makes up for it with a Range 4. And yes, he is designed to give the Champion bonders a 6th attack to match Grimnak and Gruts. When he’s rolling well with the d20, he can be awesome but his low move does mean he doesn’t always make it to height.

I play-tested him with Knights, though MacDirks would be great with Shield of Light helping.

Xavier is probably A+ at 125-points, and I have considered dropping Shield of Light altogether since the Knights are so strong.

Delandria
Neat overall concept, but unfortunately Displacer Cloak doesn't really work. The fact is that only attacks have a targeting phase, so you are playing in an undefined and unclear space. In fact, many special powers don't actually target anything in the normal sense. For example, can she use Displacer Cloak when affected by Helm of Mitonsoul? How about Knockback? How does it interact with Swirling Vortex? Or Soul Weapons? Or Mortal Strike? Take out the special powers and you have something, though in general I'm also against powers that trigger during the targeting phase of special attacks; that gets really messy with some specials. I really love Haste.

Kai
Yeah, I wish Displacer Cloak would work. I have not play-tested Delandria extensively enough, but I know that the wording of her power needs fixing.

Frostwolf of Toril
Pretty potent for a common hero; it would be worth it just to purchase one for the back of your starting zone to get order marker freedom, though only in limited builds (like multiple GIEs). I warn against doing an after-turn bonding power though, since it raises the question of what happens if the wolf dies during its turn and you still have other Frostwolves. It would be cleaner if Conjured Companion let the other unit go first like normal bonding. Question: if a GIE and a Frostwolf were one water space apart, what type of tile would that water space become? Which converts the space first, the GIE or the Frostwolf? You get different results depending on the order.

Kai:
I ran a few play-tests with the Frostwolf and he’s under-costed. He should probably be 40 points or just bumped to a unique hero. I was looking for a “mobile Glacier” to help the Ice Elementals and Dzu-Teh and I’m probably trying to do too much in one figure.

There are some issues to work out – like the timing of the bonding – and I had the Frostwolf going first so that the Ice Elemental could follow him, end his turn adjacent, and use Cold Healing. Trying to work ‘the system.’

Gald'rabok
Ice Storm is an interesting twist on an explosion attack; allowing him to target himself is a seemingly small thing but really opens up his options. If you are going to reuse Cold Healing, it needs to match the Feral Troll's, otherwise just give this one a different name.

Kai:
I changed the Cold Healing name. I liked using Gald’rabok as a target for his own Ice Storm as a way to get a whirlwind style attack along with the flexibility for the explosion attack. I have him as a Dauntless figure for now but was considering Relentless to allow for bonding with Deathknights. Otherwise he’s a nice stand-alone figure.

Commander Kaelex
Pretty solid commander. Three Drow Chainfighters per order marker would be pretty potent, actually. It's difficult to measure the value of figures like these, but given his decent stats and Deadman Switch, I think he's significantly underpriced. Compare him to Kurrok or Kato.

Kai:
I have run several play-tests with Kaelex now and he’s pretty awesome (likely A+ as is). The Deadman’s Switch sometimes works great depending on how you roll (and how he’s taken down at the end). I kept him at 100 instead of 120 like Kurrok because he can’t Summon/Rebirth his guards. I could see increasing his cost to 120 to be more balanced.

Alpha-Prime Enforcer
The mix of Guard Patrol Bonding and Bodyguard Detail is a bit confusing, but I think it works. The Commander+Enforcer combination looks to be quite potent. Power-axe is a neat power.

Kai:
I’ve run play-tests with The Enforcers and they are a nice addition to the Utgar Guards. They work well without Commander Kaelex – giving the Warden and Deathwalkers a screen. We’re working on a new Warden Hero as part of the Northwest Customs, and the Enforcers help her as well.
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:58 PM

08/13/2014:

Brainstorming again. I picked up these two Pathfinder Battles figures from the Reign of Winter set. They both have a Vampire look and feel to them, and I though they could make a nice Unique Hero and Common Hero support. The "Commander" is male, and has a bow & sword but is a Rare figure so he's more expensive. The "Barbarian" is female (though hard to tell at first) and is common so less expensive.

With all of the Thralls that have been released by C3V I was thinking of adding some Thrall synergy. Also considered making the Barbarian into an Undead Guard so that it could work with the Crypt Guardians that were just released.

Pathfinder Battles, Reign of Winter, Commander Pharamol

LORD ALARIC VON DRAKE

Spoiler Alert!

Pathfinder Battles, Reign of Winter, Drakelands Barbarian

SISTER OF SORROW
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Their color scheme will otherwise set them apart from the other Utgar Vampires, as will their powers given the lack of any life drain power.

Otherwise, I rather like Lord Alaric Von Drake. Heartseeker Bow is an interesting if conditional power even without Undead Guards and makes him more potent with them. I would imagine archery expertise is a little more limited than it may appear with his range of 6, but having a double ranged attack can always be potent. I would say that he was overpriced if it weren't for his last power, where I'd imagine is his true place to shine. Particularly when he is established and getting two attacks, I can see it to be quite useful to move a guard up and set up the second attack. Even still, moving only one figure at a time may be a pretty marginal bonus.

The Sister of Sorrow, however, is definitely a solid common hero. Squad bonding is not very common but it is probably the most useful thing to do with her. Having access to the thralls is nice but probably unnecessary. I'd most likely rather be playing a thrall army in the first place if that were the case. I would otherwise like Protect the Masters if it weren't for Tandros Kreel. What happens if an opponent is adjacent to both Tandros and an Undead Guard when one of these is on the field. Does it have no attacking options? While not necessarily game breaking, I do feel it is against the spirit of both powers. The fact that it applies to all Undead Guards instead of only them is also concerning since it makes things like the new Crypt Guards that much more potent and limits other future design.

Lastly, the fact that the head is the only hit zone is cool but makes them feel more like zombies than vampires. Is that the intention? Regardless, I do think there are some cool ideas here. Thank you for sharing.
Old August 14th, 2014, 04:13 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Great looking figures, Kai! I'll throw in a few additions to Ixe's comments:

LEGION'S ADVANCE
Each time Lord Alaric makes a normal attack that causes at least one wound...

I think we all know what "wounds a figure" means but I think this is more "official" language.

As for the SOS, what about:

PROTECT THE MASTERS
If an opponent's figure that is adjacent to a Common Undead Guard you control attacks with a normal or special attack, it must attack a Common Undead Guard. Opponent's figures affected by Combat Challenge are not affected by Protect The Masters.

Adding "Common" excludes the Crypt Guardians (who probably don't need the boost) but keeps the Tomb Skeletons (who probably do). And then the anti-Tandros clause. (Although I'm not sure what would happen if the opponent's figure is Tandros himself -- one could argue that he is "affected" by Combat Challenge since it's his power.) One other possibility (that I think is thematic with the power's title) would be:

PROTECT THE MASTERS
If an opponent's figure that is adjacent to a Common Undead Guard you control attacks with a normal or special attack, it must attack a Common figure. Opponent's figures affected by Combat Challenge are not affected by Protect The Masters.

So the Guards will protect the Masters (Uniques) but won't bother protecting a lowly Commoner.

As for the zombie vs vampire question, they sort of look like White Walkers to me...
Old August 14th, 2014, 04:33 PM

Thanks Ixe and IshMEL.

I am still brainstorming and wordsmithing these guys so I appreciate the suggestions.

I still need to work on the Bio's for these figures but I was thinking that they are some sort of new Vampire .. hence no Life-Drain and the idea of only the head being a Hit zone. I am okay dropping the Hit zone advantage.

Lord Alaric seems to work well. Nomad pointed out that I should change the name since it might conflict with Sgt. Drake : P

The Sisters of Sorrow (SoS) need some tweaks. Tandros doesn't see a lot of play here but I do need to take him into consideration.

IshMEL, I like this version:

PROTECT THE MASTERS
If an opponent's figure that is adjacent to a Common Undead Guard you control attacks with a normal or special attack, it must attack a Common figure. Opponent's figures affected by Combat Challenge are not affected by Protect The Masters.

For Thrall synergy, I was thinking of this as possible army build:

Army Ideas:
# 1
Lord Alaric von Drake .... 100
Sister of Sorrow x4 ... 200
Preyblood Thrall x2 ... 260
Bloodburst Thrall x3 ... 360
Nicholas Esenwein ... 500

And then a more Guard dedicated build:

# 2
Lord Alaric von Drake .... 100
Sister of Sorrow x3 ... 175
Tomb Skeletons x3 ... 295
Phantom Knights x3 ... 505

I think these guys are ready for a play-test.
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Fun with Wyrmlings : )

So the Medium Brass Dragon from Pathfinder Battles new Lost Coast expansion is out and he/she/it is pretty cool. The figure has been dubbed "Mimling" on another thread so I decided to whip up some stats.

BRASS WYRMLING (aka MIMLING)

General: UTGAR
Species: Dragon
Type: Common Hero
Class: Wyrmling
Personality: Ferocious
Size: MEDIUM 5

Stats
Life: 1
Move: 6
Range: 6
Attack: 3
Defense: 3

DRAGON SPAWN OF UTGAR
After revealing an order marker on a Brass Wyrmling Army card, before taking that Brass Wyrmling’s turn, you may take a turn with one Dragon you control that follows Utgar.

FLYING
When counting spaces for a Brass Wyrmling’s movement, ignore elevations. A Brass Wyrmling may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When a Brass Wyrmling starts to fly, if it is engaged it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

--
So this figure does not have Wyrmling bonding on its own, but other Wyrmlings could bond with it. The Brass Wyrmling can bond with other Utgar Dragons - so Mimring, Moltenclaw, Othkurik, and other Brass Wyrmlings.

The Brass Wyrmling does not have a Special Attack but has a built in Range 6 to represent a bolt of dragon's breath.
Old December 5th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just don't quite get what is driving this design. When designing a common hero referred to as a Brass Wyrmling for Utgar, there are a lot of expectations on what goes into that given everything that has been set up by the existing cycle of wyrmlings. Namely this is to be a smaller dragon that flies, has wyrmling bonding, and a fledgling version of the parent special ability. Failing to deliver on these expectations will upset many people since people enjoy seeing sets completed and feel uncomfortable when they see it broken.

That is not to say that you can't break these rules, but you should keep in mind that you are fighting against an aspect of human nature and should have a good reason for doing so. In this case, shoehorning in some Utgar dragon synergy feels a little forced when you already have options like Ornak, the Greenscales, and even the Arrow Gruts to synergize with the different dragons. While it may be difficult to draft all Utgar dragons together, I don't believe that quite justifies breaking the wyrmling cycle.
Old December 5th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I just don't quite get what is driving this design. When designing a common hero referred to as a Brass Wyrmling for Utgar, there are a lot of expectations on what goes into that given everything that has been set up by the existing cycle of wyrmlings. Namely this is to be a smaller dragon that flies, has wyrmling bonding, and a fledgling version of the parent special ability. Failing to deliver on these expectations will upset many people since people enjoy seeing sets completed and feel uncomfortable when they see it broken.

That is not to say that you can't break these rules, but you should keep in mind that you are fighting against an aspect of human nature and should have a good reason for doing so. In this case, shoehorning in some Utgar dragon synergy feels a little forced when you already have options like Ornak, the Greenscales, and even the Arrow Gruts to synergize with the different dragons. While it may be difficult to draft all Utgar dragons together, I don't believe that quite justifies breaking the wyrmling cycle.
Thanks for the feedback (and observations on human nature). My initial thoughts around the design was to have some different but complimentary to a Wyrmling army build. I was going for off-spring of an Utgar dragon - and Mimring and Moltenclaw have similar dragon fire breath weapons. I could see Fledgeling Fireline attacks and that is probably easier for folks to accept.

I am certainly pushing the bounds a little bit by going with an 'adult' dragon bonding with a fledgeling/dragon whelp but it seemed fun. I envisioned big daddy Mimring launching attacks and his offspring jumping in to help.

Maybe if I didn't call it a Wyrmling it would make it easier.

I think the figure itself is great, and another idea I had was for a Unique Hero as a Filler (especially since the not cheap, so a lot of Common Heroes could add up in $$).

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Here was my other idea:

FIREBEAK DRAGON

General: UTGAR
Species: Dragon
Type: Uncommon Hero
Class: Beast
Personality: Ferocious
Size: MEDIUM 4

Stats
Life: 3
Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 3

FIREBOLT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range: 4 + special Attack: 3
Choose a figure to attack. You may also choose 2 spaces in a straight line from the targeted figure. All figures on those spaces that are within line of sight of this Firebeak Dragon are affected by Firebolt Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Firebeak Dragons are not affected by Firebolt Special Attack.

FLYING
When counting spaces for this Firebeak Dragon’s movement, ignore elevations. This Firebeak Dragon may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When this Firebeak Dragon starts to fly, if it is engaged it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

ARMY IDEAS:
# 1
Arrow Gruts x3
Mimring
Krug
Swog Rider x2
Firebeak
Isamu
= 495

# 2
Arrow Gruts x3
Mimring
Swog Rider x2
Firebeak x4
= 500

Last edited by obfuscatedhippo; December 5th, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old December 5th, 2014, 03:06 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Maybe if the class was "Very Young" instead of Wyrmling?

Actually, designing Evil But Awkward Teen Dragon could be hilarious.
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

I once came up with "Dragonling" as a class. Maybe you should change it?
@IshMEL A teen dragon?

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Firebeak Dragon
This seems like a solid and cheap bonding option for the Arrow Gruts to give them the option for a special attacker. When comparing to a hero like Me-Burq-Sa, I wonder if he is a tad low with his versatile ranged special attack. I'd have to see him in testing, but 45 feels cheap for everything he provides.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards