Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old April 7th, 2019, 08:46 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I'm also going to vote on Clayton. I'll try to follow along better in the Pre SOV Workshop.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 9th, 2019, 05:24 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Lilja by @Lamaclown

Lamaclown’s fingerprints are on every SoV card (as one of the founders of this project, he designed the logo that goes on the bottom right). 6 years after its original submission as an uncommon hero, Lilja is back and hopefully better than ever. Will Lilja make it through to Valhalla as the first design from our original set of judges, or will her hopes shatter?

Balance

Let’s try the Frost Giant of Morh for a balance check here: Both have 6 life and 4 attack, both have the potential for multiple attacks, and both have an ability that triggers on their destruction.

The Frost Giant gets an average of 1.33 attacks per turn compared to Lilja’s 2 (although realistically Lilja doesn’t always get to use both attacks). The Frost Giant has more speed potential and attack potential, though, and a more useful dying ability (since you get to choose where the wounds go, and can put multiple on the same figure). Its survivability is also better: once you get the first wound through on Lilja, she’s worse from then on out.

Lilja does benefit from Talingul’s activation synergy, but that requires you to shell out at least 200 additional points and goes a bit beyond our normal consideration in this space.

Overall, I'd say Lilja's weaknesses make for a decent comparison here.

Theme

I just LOVE the theme that comes across here. Lilja’s got two weapon-arms, and so gets double attack. The other two powers really sell the theme of glass getting weaker and then finally shattering into shards. No issues with any of the left box or right box stats, either. They’re just what you’d expect.

Creativity

Shatter Point is such a creative power, but it works so cleanly as a foil to existing Heroscape powers like Blood Frenzy or Wounded Smash. It’s kind of a no-brainer to make a unit that gets weaker as it gets wounded, so kudos to Lamaclown for doing that so well with Lilja.

Playability

I did the majority of my testing in Talingul builds. She fits quite nicely in three-construct builds: Boreos, Lilja, [xxxxxxx]*, and Talingul make a nice core that works at several point levels under 500.

In these armies, Lilja is helpful for her double attacking power. No existing construct can wound multiple figures in a turn for less than Lilja’s 115 points.

Shatter Point makes playing Lilja a bit challenging. With 4 attack, 5 defense, and 6 life, she has solid Menacer stats, but that can change quickly. Two wounds in, Lilja has 4 life and 3 defense. That’s quite a drastic difference, and makes Lilja have to switch into Shark mode rather abruptly.

Thankfully, having Talingul around makes it easy to activate Lilja with little risk, and Shards makes it profitable for her to run into a crowd so she can blow up when she’s destroyed. Interestingly, Shards can trigger on your own attacks in addition to opponents’ attacks. I never deployed this strategy, but it could be helpful against a swarm of figures that had disengage.

I was slightly worried about Lilja’s potential against low-attack commons. She is by no means overpowered against squads with an attack of 3, but I wondered how she’d do against M-43s or Arrow Gruts or Aubrien Archers. Turns out, once the first wound goes through, the other ones get significantly easier. I would still feel nervous against Lilja if I was only ever rolling 2 attack dice, but it’s still quite winnable if you ever find yourself in that situation.

Lilja didn’t always earn her points back, mostly because she’s pretty easy to tie down. She hates disengaging, so it’s sometimes worthwhile to use your other constructs to free her up to continue charging forward. But the potential is there, and she showed it enough times that I’m quite happy with her power level.

I also ran a few games with Lilja without other constructs and Talingul. It’s a decent option, but I’d probably rather take Kaemon Awa or Asterios.

*upcoming C3V unit

Summary

Lilja is a super thematic and creative design, and is a great complement to the existing constructs. I’m really excited that Lamaclown shared this design with us, and I vote to induct Lilja into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

------------------------------------

P.S. We miss you again, Lamaclown! Hope you're well.
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I submit to you the Shadow Faction! Xundar as primary, the other shadows as secondary.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; April 29th, 2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:34 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Is that the point cost you're going with for Xundar? I know you were considering 140 earlier.
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:38 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Is that the point cost you're going with for Xundar? I know you were considering 140 earlier.
Yes. After further consideration I realized his greatest value is versatility and in the event these pass and other shadows are created down the road, I wouldn’t want him to be underpriced if other additions came to the faction that made it more effective or “filled out”.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:41 PM
This is merely a joke.

Well my two biggest concerns last time around were the Fiend's SA and Xundar's SA, and both of those have been changed and my concerns addressed.

I'm slightly (only slightly) concerned about the Binder and his ability to move figures to low ground to get hit by two hounds. But that's a testing concern, and I'm happy to test for it.

all around.
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Shadow Cast looks pretty powerful. There's no upper limit to how many additional attack dice can be added by adjacent shadows, making it possible to roll 9 attack dice on a single spaced figure, and 11 on a double spaced figure. The likelihood of that setup happening successfully is quite slim, and I don't think it's over powered. The Tentacle can't help either, since it is restricted to opponents figures. I just think that it is interesting that their is no upper limit mentioned in the power.
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:28 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Shadow Cast looks pretty powerful. There's no upper limit to how many additional attack dice can be added by adjacent shadows, making it possible to roll 9 attack dice on a single spaced figure, and 11 on a double spaced figure. The likelihood of that setup happening successfully is quite slim, and I don't think it's over powered. The Tentacle can't help either, since it is restricted to opponents figures. I just think that it is interesting that their is no upper limit mentioned in the power.
Shadow Cast is a straight +1 if there's at least one shadow adjacent to the defending figure. Not +1 per shadow.
Old April 14th, 2019, 03:37 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Shadow Cast is a straight +1 if there's at least one shadow adjacent to the defending figure. Not +1 per shadow.
Yup, my reading comprehension has failed me.
Old April 14th, 2019, 10:10 PM

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:35 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I like this much better. I still would have kept the special at a plain attack of 3 without the extra ornamentation; the +1 is rarely going to come into play.

to review Xundar and his shadow minions.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:59 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I forgot to do this previously - going to be officially withdrawing Clayton Pierce and making a post in the pre-sov thread hopefully soon.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs