Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old April 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Syrn Woo who?
Help against/ with Marro

My friend will only play Marro, insisting that his strategy is for his men to be rebirthed. I keep on telling him that will not always work, but everytime I've played his Marro Army, he's kicked my butt. (Even when I went Minions vs. Stingers ) I'm gonna need some expertise to go against this: (And kick his butt hard, so I can play things other than Marro)

Marro hive
Marro Warriors
Marro Stingers x2
Me-Burq-Sa
Ne-Gok-Sa
THat s 470 and If he could, he'd throw in the Drudge x2 (We only have one SotM between us) Or maybe Torky and the grubs x2.

Oh and I'm thinking of making up an army(maybe for a tourney, I don't know) With Torky and 2 squads of Grubs. I was trying to think, what is the best ranged squad to back these guys up?
The above army so far is 280 so there's 220 left. I was thinking about the Omnicrons but I don't know.

Thoughts? Comments? Please?

~Syrn

GO DK, GO!
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Help against/ with Marro

I have a friend like that, but I rarely lose to him. Mostly, I out-range him, pound on him from far away and keep moving in til I just can't hit the hive. Then I charge in a solid hero, usually Drake 2.0 or someone else with good move and decent staying power to actually pound the hive while my range stays back and provides support. Like I said, I almost never lose with that strategy, but sometimes it does get close if my rolls are particularly bad.

However, don't count on that making your friend play something else, cause it never does with mine. What I've actually started doing is using a random army generator, which takes away the fun of building an army but forces you to concentrate a lot more on order marker management and tactics with what you've got.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hi Syrn,

Without watching the games or getting a detailed battle report, I'm not sure we can really help much in telling you directly how to improve. I can suggest a few general strategies, though.

You're going to want to put pressure on the Hive right away. Once it's gone, a large part of his army and strategy will be removed. Effective ranged squads like the Krav are a good choice against the Hive and they also resist the Stingers both in range and with stealth dodge. Alternatively, you could try getting a powerfully offensive hero like Agent Carr, Drake, or Tor-Kul-Na next to the Hive to inflict some early damage.

Another option might be Zelrig. He wrecks havoc on commons in general and if you use his Special on the Hive it will also affect any recently re-birthed adjacent Stingers.

To your second question, check the Book of Tor-Kul-Na for strategies and army ideas. You can find several tourney worthy army suggestions there.

Old April 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

Without knowing your collection, its hard to determine your best options.

With what we know - RotV, SotM & Snipers/Vipers....

Start with Krav, TKN & Nagrubs.....which leaves you 120 I would be inclined to pick Airborne Elite with what you have left.

Focus on his weakness - only two squads of common marro mean the rebirthing is very limited....kill stingers quick so the hive is just a decoration.
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Syrn Woo who?

Thanks for the info guys! oh and my collection is
RotV
SotM
The Wave 8 Unique packs
Wave 2 Heroes
Marvelscape
x3 Minions
No I don't Have Snipers and Vipers, but My Brithday is Coming up... So I'll be hopefully getting some House Mouse certificates, and might trade online to get those Snipers.

Hmmm.. It sounds like with both of my dilemmas is to use the Krav and the Airborne...

~Syrn

GO DK, GO!
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Well, water types are weak to both grass and electric; unfortunately, these to types are scarce in the early game, so I suggest...

Wait a sec, wrong forum.

Like the others said, the Hive is the first to go. Syvarris is a more-reliable alternative to the AE for long-distance Hive-assassination. With the low-cast Theracus, you'll be practically be guaranteed to get height on the Hive on most medium-size maps. Well, you might not have Theracus, so the Krav are also a good alternative, and get a defense bonus against his mostly-ranged army.
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

i love using all marro armies so i know a great hive counter. if u use him well dw8k will decimate the marro army.also if we're continuing with the begining of your army i'd go with the warden to speed up the nagrubs, out-range the stingers,use his axe to destroy the hive (if needed),and his good defence and the fact that your opponent won't be using sbn (my favorite hive assistant) he should hold his own in combat.
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

also for the ranged squad to go with the nagrubs and tkn i would use the stingers, marro warriors, or the drudge specifically because of the species of them all,especially with the hive.speaking of which if your willing to swap tkn a good hive army would be:
sbn-160(160)
2xnagrubs-60(220)
2xstingers-120(340)
hive-160(500)

just don't tell your friend about it.
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM

4winds Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrn View Post
My friend will only play Marro, insisting that his strategy is for his men to be rebirthed. I keep on telling him that will not always work, but everytime I've played his Marro Army, he's kicked my butt. (Even when I went Minions vs. Stingers ) I'm gonna need some expertise to go against this: (And kick his butt hard, so I can play things other than Marro)

Marro hive
Marro Warriors
Marro Stingers x2
Me-Burq-Sa
Ne-Gok-Sa
THat s 470 and If he could, he'd throw in the Drudge x2 (We only have one SotM between us) Or maybe Torky and the grubs x2.

Oh and I'm thinking of making up an army(maybe for a tourney, I don't know) With Torky and 2 squads of Grubs. I was trying to think, what is the best ranged squad to back these guys up?
The above army so far is 280 so there's 220 left. I was thinking about the Omnicrons but I don't know.

Thoughts? Comments? Please?
If you have the Ninjas of the northern wind use there ghost walk ability to Destroy the Hive . If you are unsuccessful use there disappearing ninja to escape
</IMG>
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

The Hive is not the problem here, IMO. 2x Stingers could be taken out with some concentrated fire. If you take out the Stingers, then the Hive has no more common Marro to control (Unless he has Drudge, but no one cares about those). Once you take out the Stingers, then putting order markers on the Hive to rebirth the Stingers once they are all gone seems like a wasted turn.

I'd suggest the Krav, Airborne Elite, SotM Drake (RotV Drake wouldn't be a bad choice either) , Q10, and RotV Raelin. Maybe even DeathWalker 9000.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Civil War Dude Woo who?

Don't tell your friend this but I use Minions and Stingers combo at most tournaments and have won once and come in third twice but if he is so attracted by the Hive let him have it, that's just 160 points that doesn't usually preform all that well (you never see any hives at tourneys). If you have Q10 or KRAV with some Minions to attract some fire while your KRAV gun down the rest of his force. Or you could tie up his stingers with Minions and destroy the Hive first. Just my opinion.

Stingers
Minions
Knights My top 5
Cyprien
Heavy Gruts
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

3xMinions - 330
Krug - 450
MW - 500

With this army, I would use the MW as glyph grabbers/early stage attackers. Just make sure you spread them out.

Then, I would send in Krug. Just charge him straight towards the Hive. Don't be afraid to take some disengagement attacks, or kill a couple of little people. Just make sure you get your hits against the hive.

Then, use your Minions to mop everything up. They are more than capable of doing that.

However, if you're facing TKN, instead of using Krug to kill the hive, use him to kill TKN. Make sure TKN is gone before sending out the Mnions.

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion