Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old February 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker
Sport351's Custom Terrain

Spoiler Alert!

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Sport351's Custom Terrain

My first custom attempt. It's a formation of rocks on a double-hex. Marcus is in the picture for size. As I said, my first attempt, so it's not amazing (nor are my photography skills). It also haas a piece from a TJ bush that fell off. The rocks are repainted lava rocks from my backyard.
Constructive critisicsm is very appreciated.

EDIT: I just noticed that I should've done something to cover the little bit of glue that sticks out. I might try flocking it soon.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Looks nice, Sport. I'm a big fan of the "this-is-a-nice-rock-I-have-hot-glue" school of custom-making. Good quality pictures, too. Must be either a great camera or just a born photographer. I've never seen MDG looks so . . . majestic.

Keep it up.

~Spite
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks Spite! I was just looking at some different threads (including yours incidently, those trees and the shrines are amazing!) and figured a boulder pile would be a good item for my first custom. And the pictures were taken off a two-year-old digital camera, was not expecting a compliment for my handiwork there, thanks again!

— Mark Twain
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Orange is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Looks good, consider painting the fake plant. The glossy green looks kind of unnatural. Id also consider less contrast between the darker values on the rock and the lighter, yours’ seems to go from black to light grey, where it could go from black to dark grey to medium to light. Of course that is all just nitpicking overall the piece looks good, alot better then my first custom piece.
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks Orange. Yeah, I noticed the contrasting colors too. I only had a couple bucks to buy paint so my choices were a little limited at Michaels . Next time, I'll have a little more to have a wider selection. Any reccomandations on paint colors? I got dark and light gray, white, and black.

— Mark Twain
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Orange is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I normally buy a lot of white, then some black and the primary colors (red yellow blue). Then you can mix every color, but it does take a bit of practice to get good at mixing colors. If you don’t want to have to remix colors then try looking for natural colors using photographs as a reference at the store, but black and white are essentials.
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Good start Sport.

In the past, Walmart has had a set of small glass jars of many different colored acrylic paint for cheap. I bought the set for my daughter several years ago and ended up using a bunch of the paint myself. It will give you a nice variety of colors to work with and the cheap paint is just fine for terrain projects.
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks Yodaking. I used to have some of that type of paint lying around. Unfortunately, it was several years old and had gone bad. I'll look for them next time I got to the store.

— Mark Twain
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Spoiler Alert!

I made a couple more formations, a 3-hexer and a single.

The IX Legion must defend the last field before Einar's territory, in which many innocent Kyrie reside. The Gruts, led by Tornak will have a clear shot at civilians and then Einar's Citadel if they can break the line. The brave Romans are outnumbered, but will gladly give their lives for Einar.

Thanks to my D1 preorder, I have no money to buy supplies But I'm looking for more materials around the house that I could throw together. I found various colors of flock, some modeling grasses, and a few other things. I'll have to see if I can make something of them.

— Mark Twain

Last edited by Sport351; February 26th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:19 PM

I was bored, and the fake trees and grass I found were just begging to be terrain. One thing I've always wondered is why Hasbro didn't include forest shrubs in the RTTFF. (which I still haven't had the pleasure of purchasing) So, since the trees I had were too small for trees:

Spoiler Alert!

They only took me about thirty minutes to whip together, nothing special. Here's a really basic tutorial.

Spoiler Alert!

Just some simple little pieces. As always, constructive criticism is appreciated!

— Mark Twain

Last edited by Sport351; February 26th, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:29 PM

Daddio is surprisingly tart

Atta boy! Now you're customizing!

Couple things might help guide your thought process on things like rocks. Think about a touch of green or dashes of flock on one side of the rocks or up under where moss might grow

And, you should very much consider adding a bunch of rock debris and smaller rubble around their bases. A rock stuck to a tile will look like a rock stuck to a tile if you don't spice it up a bit.

You're showing promise already - keep hot gluing things to other things!

"I think you like buying HeroScape stuff more than you like actually playing HeroScape." -Mommio-

Daddio's Random Comments (customs page)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles