Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old June 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Modular Maps: MOPs

My guidelines for building them are on my site here. It all basically boils down to following the "edge rules" so that modules are as compatible with each other as possible. They are only guidelines, to be followed as strictly (or relaxed) as you want.

I haven't really done much with my "point system" for MOPs and will probably drop that idea. It is still a good idea however to record the highest level along with the average height (for any map really, not just MOPs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
I meant the rules to use them, like how they're positioned to play on. Not rules on building them.

Like how do we place them? Premade by scenario? Take turns attaching a board to the main board?
As far as rules for what to do when several players bring MOPs to a game, that is something I have not written up any guidelines for, since I have not had players bring MOPs to my events. I have plenty of my own terrain to handle a medium size group of players.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; March 24th, 2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbo255 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
If you are only using two MOP hexes, somebody on the previous page posted this:

Actually, I was trying to illustrate a general principal with the most trivial example possible.

To make things more clear, here is a 6 player, seven MOP example.

Spoiler Alert!
Here's another example showing our two ways of doing things:

It's interesting how similar the idea is but how the execution gives a totally different result.

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; June 14th, 2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: click on the images to make them larger
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:21 AM

Zexion is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I made the simplest map from Gary's site, MOP5114, and I can say I'm very amazed at how big a single MOP is. Photos and pictures I seen made me think it'll be smaller.
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:20 AM

odbo255 has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's interesting how similar the idea is but how the execution gives a totally different result.
Agreed.

I like the low overhead (a single piece) and similarity to "normal" starting zones (again, where the 24-hex piece is common) of my approach.

But
, I want to try yours. Looking at them it appears that they may be a better choice size-wise/aesthetically/strategically.

Items for trade
Heroscape lives on: 3FG C3G C3V CHCG24 CMSP NM24 SoV
Tournament Maps: BoV WoV
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

I like the low overhead (a single piece) and similarity to "normal" starting zones (again, where the 24-hex piece is common) of my approach.
Yeah, I need to find a way to slim mine down a little. I like how mine gives access to two MOPs at once, but the extra terrain use is a bit annoying.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

Yeah, I need to find a way to slim mine down a little. I like how mine gives access to two MOPs at once, but the extra terrain use is a bit annoying.
Here is a way to access two MOPs with a single 24-hex start zone. Additionally it provides some ranged cover because of the voids.

Items for trade
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:04 AM

rommel1369 is surprisingly tart

I have been thinking of doing some modular pieces as well but doing them in rectangular sections. 15 x 11 hexes (like a lexan mat). I am just debating if I should glue everything together and maybe touch up the terrain with a little paint. I will probrably need more terrain hehe.

A few maps http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30190
Good Trades-KTZ-XXleprecaunXX, Vydar, generalgina, chaoserver
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel1369 View Post
I have been thinking of doing some modular pieces as well but doing them in rectangular sections. 15 x 11 hexes (like a lexan mat). I am just debating if I should glue everything together and maybe touch up the terrain with a little paint. I will probrably need more terrain hehe.
I would encourage you not to glue your terrain together. MOPs already hold together quite well if you use a MOP tray. I regularly transport mine 50+ miles in the trunk and have never had to fix more than a hex or two.

All of the folks that I've heard that glued maps together have come to regret it.

Items for trade
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM

Zexion is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

We forgetting MOPs again? Come on.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
We forgetting MOPs again? Come on.
Nope, I use them all the time. Last weekend in fact.

Items for trade
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM

lxnrhinners has disabled reputation

I was inspired a long time time ago by these MOPs, and I immediately thought about one of my favorite board games before Heroscape---

Bionicle Adventure Game: Quest For Makuta.
(http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2...est-for-makuta)

Basically, each player is one of the robotic Toa heroes (Soulborgs? ) and must collect masks, which give them different powers (Treasure glyphs? ) and must roll dice to defeat various beasts to ultimately find their way to the lair of the evil Makuta.

One of my favorite and most interesting game aspects of Bionicle: QFM was the fact that all characters started on the same hexagonal tile (which had its own pathways within it)--but that was it. No other tiles were placed until a character ventured in that direction, which allowed them to grab a new random land tile from the collection and placed it however they wanted in front of their character, so long as all of the pathways line up. (I think that's how it is, anyway--but I'm not sure; I haven't played it in a long time. )

Anyway, I was trying to figure out a way to reconstuct this idea in Heroscape. What I came up with is two collections of very small MOPS -- one 3-hex MOP set, and one 2-hex MOP set (aka, the size of one 7-hex tile) -- that players would build and place as they explore, making the map grow as the game goes on.

Now, the mechanics aren't really full developed yet. I don't know if there would be rules for which miniMOP you could choose, or if it would just be random, if they are built beforehand, how to win, etc. But I thought it might be a cool idea to try out.

Even if you guys think the miniMOP idea is dumb/wouldn't work IRL, I still think it would be coool to adapt this to a dungeon scenario (find out more about the scape as you progress).

~LX

~ If we knew the meaning of life, life would have no meaning. ~
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxnrhinners View Post
I was inspired a long time time ago by these MOPs, and I immediately thought about one of my favorite board games before Heroscape---

Bionicle Adventure Game: Quest For Makuta.
(http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2...est-for-makuta)

Basically, each player is one of the robotic Toa heroes (Soulborgs? ) and must collect masks, which give them different powers (Treasure glyphs? ) and must roll dice to defeat various beasts to ultimately find their way to the lair of the evil Makuta.

One of my favorite and most interesting game aspects of Bionicle: QFM was the fact that all characters started on the same hexagonal tile (which had its own pathways within it)--but that was it. No other tiles were placed until a character ventured in that direction, which allowed them to grab a new random land tile from the collection and placed it however they wanted in front of their character, so long as all of the pathways line up. (I think that's how it is, anyway--but I'm not sure; I haven't played it in a long time. )

Anyway, I was trying to figure out a way to reconstuct this idea in Heroscape. What I came up with is two collections of very small MOPS -- one 3-hex MOP set, and one 2-hex MOP set (aka, the size of one 7-hex tile) -- that players would build and place as they explore, making the map grow as the game goes on.

Now, the mechanics aren't really full developed yet. I don't know if there would be rules for which miniMOP you could choose, or if it would just be random, if they are built beforehand, how to win, etc. But I thought it might be a cool idea to try out.

Even if you guys think the miniMOP idea is dumb/wouldn't work IRL, I still think it would be coool to adapt this to a dungeon scenario (find out more about the scape as you progress).

~LX
A 2 hex mini-MOP seems rather small, I would suggest trying 3 hexes instead.

Items for trade

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios